New Axe-fx Standard owner first impression

sandmannn69

Experienced
This is not a review, just a first impression.

Got it today, unboxed the unit and plugged in my Alesis 620 studio monitors.
Set it up according to Yek's excellent first-time user setup, and plugged in my Gibby LP studio lite.
Started with a familiar preset, Crazy Train. Played a few bars and my son standing behind me said "Wow, that sounds like the real song". I definitely agreed with him. Quickly moved to the Eruption preset and ripped out that one minus the divebombs and we were both staring at this little rack with our mouths hanging open.

I want to keep this short because its not my review yet, but the Axe-fx sounds very "organic", like a tube amp and has that tube-amp feel/sensitivity, along with the ballsy tone (probably from the sag effect). It makes the Line 6 Podxt and Toneport GX sound very "toy-like" in comparision. These are terms I've stolen from others comments, but are the best description of this processor.

Haven't had time yet to create my own presets, just went thru the factory ones, some are quite good. I think they do a good job of demonstrating the power of this box, even though some of them are over-the-top. In summary, my first impression is "Wow, this thing is for real".

Gets worse.

The more you realize you can do, the more you spend time looking for your 'tool'. Because it knocks your <moderator deleted> in the dirt.

Wait...I'm a moderator.

Have fun. You'll have more questions in a month or so when you think of all the fun things you can do.

Welcome to the Crazy (gravy) Train...

Ron

1.5 years later I'm still blown away by the Axe every time I play through it. :mrgreen:

And 1.5 years later, I'm only just starting to play around with user cabs. Holy crap that's a big can of worms to open up! :shock: :lol:

Topic moved. A review is a review, no matter how brief. You're allowed to post as many reviews as you like, just post them here. Thanks for your assistance in maintaining forum organization.

Back
Top Bottom