New Axe-Fx III vs used Axe-Fx II?

The_OD

Hi guys :)

I have a hard time deciding which unit to buy, and hope you can help me make the right choice.

I found a used Axe-FX II (Mark1) for only 1000€/1200USD, which is a very good price here in Denmark, and nearly 1/3 of what a new Axe-fx III will cost me.
I'm a former Axe-Fx II owner, although that was 5 years ago. it sounded great back then, so I'm guessing it sounds even better now :)

I've read that the II has been upgraded with the Ares firmware. Is it sage to assume that (For now at least) it sounds similar to the III?

I'm a very simple guy, and my presets were mostly just amp and cab, maybe a single effect or two. So I will probably never need all the crazy effects and setups the III can deliver. The new screen, improved UI and more inputs are great, but are they worth all that extra cash?

I know I'm also paying for continued support and updates. But I honestly can't imagine the II becoming obsolete, since it already sounded fantastic and rivaled tube amps 5 years ago.

Any advice? :)

Get the III. I bought a III while I still had my Axe II XL+ and once I heard them side by side, it was no comparison. The II is good, but the III is a huge step forward and gets better with every update. It’s 100% worth the extra money. And for what it’s worth, I usually do a pretty simple amp/cab setup as well.

If you can live with 3 buttons and the thing being on the floor, it's probably your best choice.
I'd say these are benefits of the FM3 - it's more portable and already has three built in footswitches, which might be more than enough with layouts and views. IMO the main issue with the FM3 would be that it's not yet in stock in the EU and it's unclear how long it takes until g66 catch up with the wait list.

I have to say 1000€ is a crazy good price. Axe-Fx II is still a killer unit. I would say buy it and if you later want the 3, you can easy sell it again for the same amount. You are welcome to swing by Flensburg ( when it is possible again ) if you want to try an Axe-Fx 3. :) Or if you want to compare the 2 units.

I remember you :)
I have to say 1000€ is a crazy good price. Axe-Fx II is still a killer unit. I would say buy it and if you later want the 3, you can easy sell it again for the same amount. You are welcome to swing by Flensburg ( when it is possible again ) if you want to try an Axe-Fx 3. :) Or if you want to compare the 2 units.
I bought an Axe FX ii and a frfr kabinet from you guys at g66 8 years ago. And you were kind enough to help me get it all to my car with a little handtruck.

I would love to come to Flensburg again, once the borders open up :)

Reactions: Ole
Really. Im curious to know more :) Isnt the II and III running the exact same firmware, and should thereby sound the same? :)
No, they're not running the same firmware, the axe 2 just received a couple updates last year with what was possible to port from the axe fx 3.
The amp has evolved quite a bit in the meantime and pretty much every effect block has been updated too, some of them improved a lot (drive, flanger, phaser, pitch and reverb especially)

I remember you :)

I bought an Axe FX ii and a frfr kabinet from you guys at g66 8 years ago. And you were kind enough to help me get it all to my car with a little handtruck.

I would love to come to Flensburg again, once the borders open up :)

I also remember you :) . You are more than welcome back.

Really. Im curious to know more :) Isnt the II and III running the exact same firmware, and should thereby sound the same? :)
Nope, so me time ago II became obsolete, but I had III before Ares was released. The main difference is that sound is much fuller in compare to II, that is due to power of III and different way of handling CAB blocks (and of course many other things).
When I received III, I started to copy presets from II, and quickly realized that there is much more possibilities and there is a lot of CPU power I can use - that was my problem with II that some presets utilized 90-95% of CPU.

At the moment II is a spare unit, idea was that III will be a rehearsal place and II at home, but finally I am taking III home as there is more fun with it.

Reactions: Ole
The II is pretty good but has a lot of limitations and failings in certain usage/setups compared to the III.

I do not own a III, but I've been a FAS customer since 2013, and follow the III forums and social media postings.

I'm still using a II, mkII model. Right now I mainly use it 4CM with a tube amp, effects only, well not true, sometimes I use an amp block dialed in like a drive pedal.

Direct / FRFR, with IR's or with a traditional cab it's still fantastic.... It didn't just stop sounding and feeling amazing because the III progresses while the II is final. However, The III has moved beyond now, it's been 2 years and lots of updates, lots of additions, lots of ear candy, if you can afford it, the III is definitely the better choice, as many others have stated.

I'm waiting for my FM3 invite, as I'm on the list pretty early, but honestly if I could rationalize the cost of a III and FC6 during this whole world situation, I'd probably have grabbed it by now.

The II is absolutely not obsolete. It still sounds as good as it ever did, it still does everything it was ever supposed to do. It simply will not be receiving any new updates, and thus won't evolve any further.

I started with a II XL+, and then moved to a III. Initially when I got the III, the III was my main rig, the XL+ was my backup rig. I liked the additional DSP, tone capabilities, and other features (additional I/O, FC's, amps/cabs/FX models, etc.) of the III enough that I wound up buying a second III so my main and backup rigs were identical. That being said, I would have no problem using the XL+ for gigs or sessions. It's a great box.

For me, it would boil down to budget. If you can afford the III, get it. If you're gigging and the gear is making money for you, get the III. Besides having a warranty if something fails, you're still getting updates and improvements, and keeping current with technology, all of which are important to me if the gear is making money for me. If you're jamming in the bedroom to tracks, or with some friends for fun on the weekends, get the II.

I think it depends if you need a foot-controller. When you´re gigging you need one, that adds to the cost. You might be better off waiting for the FM3 whenever it is available in the EU. Or get a used AX8 to hold you over.
If you are just jamming at home and can afford it get the III if you can´t wait. Or get the used II to hold you over.

Back
Top Bottom