New Axe-fx II XL Rack Build

javajunkie

Axe-fx II XL - FAMC - Liquid Router - RJM - Effects Gizmo - eventide eclipse, SUF Viloter Rams Head Classic, zvex fuzz factory, mobius, timeline, big sky, and pog 2. Lots 'o Fun!

20140827_142734.jpg
20140827_142742.jpg

20140827_142852.jpg

20140827_142859.jpg

20140827_144250.jpg

It is routed so I can go either wireless or wired on a preset basis. I go wired for the Fuzz stuff. Fuzzes are pre Axe-fx, the rest can be wired anywhere. Took a while to get rid of all the grounding issues.

eventide eclipse is a nice piece of gear -- I had one running through a dumblelator with my Bludotone rig.

It is routed so I can go either wireless or wired on a preset basis. I go wired for the Fuzz stuff. Fuzzes are pre Axe-fx, the rest can be wired anywhere. Took a while to get rid of all the grounding issues.

How does that work with your guitar? Do you swap out the belt back for a hard wired cable when you want to use the fuzzes?

No. I have it set to switch with the effects gizmo. If loop one is selected it is wireless. If loop one is not selected it is wired.

I could set it up for another wireless as well, but I just have 2 packs set to the same channel and turn on off when I am setting it down and the other on when I pick it up.

eventide eclipse is a nice piece of gear -- I had one running through a dumblelator with my Bludotone rig.

I use it for the formant filter and a couple of multidelay/reverb algorithms (diamond rain is a big one). I have a few presets where using that on the axefx pushes me over the CPU limit.

Reactions: LVC
Looks like a killer rig Sean- I've wanted to do something similar to make use of some choice pedals I have.. just not in the budget these days. What are you amplifying all this through?

That must be one of the most compact, yet overly complete rigs anyone can dream of. In what way do you feel that the music you play or the sounds you are after require the added effects from the Eclipse and the Strymon pedals in conjunction with the onboard effects of the Axe-Fx? From my perspective and experience I couldn't think up a situation where I'd need that much power, so I'm really curious to know whether this is actually a little overkill for you aswel or you really put everything to use?

I want a liquid router too, and definitely add those other 2 pedals to my Strymon Timeline. The eclipse is also a nice touch.

No interest in finicky tube amps anymore. Yes, fine for the house/studio when you get the urge, but no interest in dealing with maintenance and consistency issues when it matters most. And since I feel that way, the money I could spend on a tube amp I'm not really going to use, can go towards stuff I will end up using.

That must be one of the most compact, yet overly complete rigs anyone can dream of. In what way do you feel that the music you play or the sounds you are after require the added effects from the Eclipse and the Strymon pedals in conjunction with the onboard effects of the Axe-Fx? From my perspective and experience I couldn't think up a situation where I'd need that much power, so I'm really curious to know whether this is actually a little overkill for you aswel or you really put everything to use?

Eclipse: formant filter (I like it more than the axefxs), crystal and shimmer effect (on a few axefx preset that hit the CPU limit if I use the axefxs).

blog sky : spring reverb, also learning how to create the more exotic verbs on the axefx,.

mobius: rotary, destroyer, and quadrant urge. I like the rotary better and the other 2 are harder to achieve on the axefx.

timeline: different flavor of ice cream than the axefxs delay, but doesn't get use much.

fuzz: real fuzzes react to the guitar better and I love the way those fuzzes sound.

pog: the axefx cannot do what the pog does without artifacts.

By the way, I think overkill is underrated :)

I have quite a lot of gear, I try to use it where I can. To learn, experiment, and play. If you saw the rest of my studio, you'd say that rig is conservative .

as far as complexity, now that it is hooked up and programmed, every thing switches and routes at the press of a button.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom