New Axe-FX II XL+ Buyer :: Confused ::

visage

Hey guys,

I'm Laith. I play a Stephen Carpenter 607B. Great guitar. So solid at low tunings its ridiculous.

I have a micro terror head and cab. I believe 2x12 and 15W. The smallest orange. Is it possible to use this amp and head with the Axe? Just really confused, so many cables, do I need to buy better cables? My Axe-FX comes next week and I'm reading the manual not sure where to start other than the usb plug into a CPU. Basically wondering if my amp is powerful enough and if I need to buy any more cords. Currently just have the head to cab cord, instrument cord, and a box power supply for the head.

Thanks in advance,

Laith

Attachments

• IMG_20170403_003729_055.png
    IMG_20170403_003729_055.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 25
The micro terror doesn't have an effects loop, so your options are somewhat limited.

To get the most out of your Axe-Fx you should either consider buying a power amp (the EHX 44 magnum would do the job fine) and running that with your cab, or investing in a FRFR solution like powered studio monitors or a powered speaker.

Unless Your head has a DI out at line level, you are going to need a load box for the head, to bring the signal down to "line level"....Or you will probably fry the Axe and your amp head.
I use the Palmer PGA04. Works like a charm. I run my JTM45 head in conjunction with the Palmer in the effects loop of the axe..

If you wanted you could use the effects loop out on the axe straight into the front of your amp head (with your amp and speaker cab connected as normal) and then "Mic" the speaker cab, and bring this "Mic" signal back through the return of the axe loop, but I'm not sure how good this would sound as Ive not tried this method.

I would look to use a new amp\cab or a hi-end PA speaker with the Axe. You would be limiting all of the tones you can get from the Axe, by running it directly into the Orange amp. Check out the amp forum, so much good info on what people have found to be good\bad...

Hey guys,

I'm Laith. I play a Stephen Carpenter 607B. Great guitar. So solid at low tunings its ridiculous.

I have a micro terror head and cab. I believe 2x12 and 15W. The smallest orange. Is it possible to use this amp and head with the Axe? Just really confused, so many cables, do I need to buy better cables? My Axe-FX comes next week and I'm reading the manual not sure where to start other than the usb plug into a CPU. Basically wondering if my amp is powerful enough and if I need to buy any more cords. Currently just have the head to cab cord, instrument cord, and a box power supply for the head.

Thanks in advance,

Laith
Hey Visage,

I just Googled your amp. To be frank, the Micro Terror is very limited on what it can do with the Axe FX and is going to hold you back in using the Axe FX. This is because the Micro Terror doesn't have Effects Send/Return jacks on the back. An effects Send/Return loop allows you to put effects pedals and other things "between" the amplifier and the speaker cabinet. Since the Micro Terror doesn't have an Effects loop, this going "between" the amp and speaker is not possible. Do not try to go from the Micro Terror "Speaker Outputs" jack into the Axe FX. You will damage your equipment.

I see there's a "Phones" out jack on the front of the Micro Terror. You could use this to go into the front of the Axe FX, but you would only be able to use the Axe FX's effects blocks. You could use the Axe FX Amp and Cab blocks with this setup, but you'd essentially be running the MIcro Terror's Phones output sound (which most likely has its own cab simulation) into the Axe FX Amp + Cab setup. Not ideal and will sound muddy and cruddy. Also, with this setup, there would be no way to play through your 2x12 cab since the Axe FX isn't built to power a speaker cabinet.

I think with your current rig, you have a couple options to get the full benefits of your Axe FX:
- Sell the Micro Terror and use that money to buy a power amp. A power amp will allow you to play your Axe FX through your 2x12 cabinet. This is probably your best option as you'll get to use your cab and the AWESOME amps in the Axe FX. Popular solid state power amps are the Matrix GT series and Crown. You could get all tube power amps like the Marshall power block and the Mesa 50/50, but those are very expensive. There's also the Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum pedal which is the cheapest solution. The guitarist in my band used it for a little bit, but had lots of trouble with it, though. Could have been just a bad one, though.

- If you're really attached to having those small Orange amps, I would sell the Micro Terror (seeing a pattern here?) and go up one level get the Dual Terror or Dark Terror. Something that has an Effects loop. This will let you play an Orange Tube Amp and have your Axe FX mixed in with it. You could also use one of these Terrors as a power amp and use the Axe FX's expansive selection of amps.

- The full blown nuclear option here, and I think a lot of people on this forum will agree, is to sell both your Micro Terror and your 2x12 cab. Use that money to invest in a powered FRFR setup (powered meaning the FRFR speakers don't need a power amp. They plug into an outlet and provide their own power). This will allow you to use 100% of the Axe FX. You won't have to worry about disabling the Axe FX speaker cabinet emulation like when running through your 2x12. With a FRFR setup, you will get to hear the differences between the various speaker cabinets IRs available in the Axe FX (and the thousands of 3rd party IR's, as well). Cabinets make a HUGE difference in sound so getting the FRFR is something to definitely consider.

Anyway, hope this helps!

An effects Send/Return loop allows you to put effects pedals and other things "between" the amplifier and the speaker cabinet
It would be more precise to say, that it puts effects pedals between the preamp and the amp.
Pretty sure you can hack your tiny terror to have such a function, if you'll just find the wires connecting the preamp with the amp inside of it...
With this, you can bypass your orange's preamp and use the axe FX instead. Then amplify the axe with the orange's amp and hear it through a cab...

It would be more precise to say, that it puts effects pedals between the preamp and the amp.
Pretty sure you can hack your tiny terror to have such a function, if you'll just find the wires connecting the preamp with the amp inside of it...
With this, you can bypass your orange's preamp and use the axe FX instead. Then amplify the axe with the orange's amp and hear it through a cab...
Yes, you're correct on both points, but I'm trying to keep things simple. The fact that the OP titled the post "Confused" and is asking if he needs to buy better cables, when that's clearly not the issue, gives me the impression that they're not very knowledgable about preamp/poweramp and effects loops.

Last edited:
You wont be able to use the Axe Fx for much other than FX if you use your current amp.
If funds are limited I would suggest buying a powered wedge. Like this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVZLX112P
Then you just go out of the AXE FX output with an XLR cable and go into one of the XLR inputs on the speaker. If you already have a spare guitar cable you can use that in place of the XLR cable. Turn both on and you have great sound!
If this speaker is out of your price range I can recommend some other products, these are pretty nice mid range speakers. If you already have a spare guitar cable you can use that in place of the XLR cable.

Back
Top Bottom