New Axe Fx 3 user trying to plan out presets.

Mahakhal22

Hello, I'm a brand spanking new Axe Fx user and am trying to determine the best way to map the outputs for my presets. My plan right now is to use this thing for gigs and also as an interface for recording.

So for live gigs, I want to try to set up for all scenarios. Basically, some gigs will be through actual cabs, others will be sent to front of house, sometimes we might be running both. As far as I understand it, I can set different outputs, one going to my cab through a power amp that skips the cab sim, and one going through a cab sim and then out to be sent anywhere I want it. If I set up every preset I make this way, having the 2 outputs, seems like I should be prepared for all eventualities even if half the time one of the outputs isn't being used. Is there a better way to do this? Anything else I should consider?

Then for recording, looks like I can do the same kind of thing, use a preset sent out to my cab to monitor what I'm playing, then run a basically blank/bypassed line forked out of the input to an output as a DI. That way I'll have the raw track being recorded directly into my DAW (Cubase) and then hear myself through my cab and not just the monitor speakers. Again, is there a better way to do this or anything else I should consider?

I know this is pretty rudimentary stuff, there are probably already posts on it, but I gotta start somewhere.

Thank you for any input or redirects!

You seem to have a solid understanding.

Just be aware that you'll want the Cab block as the last block before your output for FOH, assuming you want post Amp block effects to also go to your real cab.

Typically not a problem as most effects sound the same before or after the Cab.

Also, this assumes you're using a solid state (flat response) power amp.

Hello, I'm a brand spanking new Axe Fx user and am trying to determine the best way to map the outputs for my presets. My plan right now is to use this thing for gigs and also as an interface for recording.

So for live gigs, I want to try to set up for all scenarios. Basically, some gigs will be through actual cabs, others will be sent to front of house, sometimes we might be running both. As far as I understand it, I can set different outputs, one going to my cab through a power amp that skips the cab sim, and one going through a cab sim and then out to be sent anywhere I want it. If I set up every preset I make this way, having the 2 outputs, seems like I should be prepared for all eventualities even if half the time one of the outputs isn't being used. Is there a better way to do this? Anything else I should consider?

Then for recording, looks like I can do the same kind of thing, use a preset sent out to my cab to monitor what I'm playing, then run a basically blank/bypassed line forked out of the input to an output as a DI. That way I'll have the raw track being recorded directly into my DAW (Cubase) and then hear myself through my cab and not just the monitor speakers. Again, is there a better way to do this or anything else I should consider?

I know this is pretty rudimentary stuff, there are probably already posts on it, but I gotta start somewhere.

Thank you for any input or redirects!

That's right. There's no automatic way to get a sans-cab signal to a dedicated out that will go to a power amp/cabinet, so you'll have to do the routing yourself in your presets. Like unix-guy says, you just to need to take care about what effects you might be excluding.

For recording, there's no need to create what you call the "blank/bypassed" line. One pair of USB channels will automatically carry the DI.

Awesome, thank you so much for the responses you guys!

I was thinking I would pretty much have the exact same signal path running to FOH and my cab, minus the cab sim for FOH of course. So I'd put the fork at the very end with just enough room for the cab block. And yes, I have a solid state power amp :D

That's good to know that the USB channels automatically carry a DI! I'd only need one output going to my power amp then? I thought I'd have to run a separate output and assign it to the USB. I'll have to dig more deeply into the manual. I've read a good amount of it, but it's so much information I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks again guys!

The AxeFX III manual doesn't really cover how to use the AxeFX with a computer. It lists the USB channels, but the setup section doesn't show a recording setup like the AxeFX II manual does, it assumes you already know how to do that. So, check out the AxeFX II manual for that topic.

Back
Top Bottom