New Axe-Fx 3 Owners: Some Tips for Beginners

orion32773

Experienced
New to the Axe Fx 3 family?

I put together a few tips of things that really helped me out early on.

Shout out to chris from Axe Fx Tutorials for his great Axe Fx 3 basic navigation video for inspiring me to create this video. If you are putting off learning basic front panel navigation, go check out his video. There is a link to his video in my video description.

Nice vid! I use a similar amp stand as well.

I always maintain that if you're playing live, learn the front panel!

I use the front panel 95% of the time, and I'm comfortable enough that if I needed to make on the fly adjustments I could do it in seconds. Yes axe edit is a little easier, but why lug around a laptop and more cables when you can turn a knob and get what you want quickly and easily?

It takes some time to devote to learning it but it pays off in the long run. Some things are even better to adjust on unit IMO. Thanks for watching and commenting!

Hoping I can get some feedback so I can make an informed decision.. I am returning to guitar after about a 18 year hiatus. I bought a ESP LTD eclipse BK-600 last year and a Orange Micro terror dark. I love this little amp, but unfortunately my family not so much. I really want to get a bigger amp, but I don't really have room for a full on stack so I've been thinking about picking up one of these units instead of a EVH 5150, JCM-800 or similar tube head. Stephen Carpenter switching over to Axe-Fx is what put Fractal Audio on my radar.

If I understand correctly, I can use this with headphones and also go directly to my DAW and out through my reference speakers and maintain descent quality.

What's your thought on using this as a standalone type thing?

Hoping I can get some feedback so I can make an informed decision.. I am returning to guitar after about a 18 year hiatus. I bought a ESP LTD eclipse BK-600 last year and a Orange Micro terror dark. I love this little amp, but unfortunately my family not so much. I really want to get a bigger amp, but I don't really have room for a full on stack so I've been thinking about picking up one of these units instead of a EVH 5150, JCM-800 or similar tube head. Stephen Carpenter switching over to Axe-Fx is what put Fractal Audio on my radar.

If I understand correctly, I can use this with headphones and also go directly to my DAW and out through my reference speakers and maintain descent quality.

yes, it's an audio interface. monitors or headphones would connect directly to the Axe. USB to the computer for recording and preset editing.

It’s great for many things and fits nicely in a studio and home environment. Running through studio monitors is fine. You’re not going to push air the same way that you may have been used to back in the day but you certainly can go that route with the axe Fx paired with a nice power amp and traditional cabinet. That’s another topic altogether so for your current situation right now any modeler is a great option. You’re definitely getting all the bells and whistles with the latest fractal. Just be prepared to have some patience and most of all have some fun. The axe fx is certainly one of the few units that you can dial in a basic tone quickly in my opinion. Plenty of videos out there to help and most of us here are happy to help. Chris answered your other questions so you are good there.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can get one ordered this spring... got a sewer line that might get those funds instead... but I will have one this year regardless.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can get one ordered this spring... got a sewer line that might get those funds instead... but I will have one this year regardless.
Oh do I feel your pain. A capped off toilet in our basement blew its cap last night, and the wife and I were cleaning up raw sewage until 2:00 a.m. Plumber will be here at noon. I’m guessing that it won’t be a cheap date.

Honestly do it - I think the Axe is the best home solution there is, much better than any amp.

I got so frustrated with buying an amp which sounded great in the shop loud, but then I couldn't turn up at home.

Or the amp sounded good at home volumes but then completely different when loud.

With the Axe, that and my massive pedalboard are a thing of the past

Damn Doug, that sucks. Best of luck with that mess. I was dealing with a similar problem last week which is how I learned more about my sewer line than I ever want to know.

So what do you pair your Axe-fx with if you want to source it out to an amp? I assume some sorta power amp. can someone link me to a set up to give me an idea of what to expect.

Things have changed quite a bit over the last 20 years. Most electronic and tech devices have gotten cheaper over the years (TV's, media playback devices, PC's, etc.), but it seems guitar equipment has nearly tripled in price. I was shocked how much a descent 100w tube head will set you back. I wish I would have at least kept my 4x12 or my 2x12 cabinet. The fool that I am, I gave them both away to former bandmates/friends. I did keep my silver faced 50w bassman though. I may sell that to help fund the Axe-FX.

yeah, run it through a power amp or the fx return if the micro terror has one. Guitar equipment has tripled in price, gone up 100x in value, and 10,000x in dogma.

Damn Doug, that sucks. Best of luck with that mess. I was dealing with a similar problem last week which is how I learned more about my sewer line than I ever want to know.

Turned out to be a lot better than we expected. Tree roots, etc. The plumber got it all done in 3 hrs, then showed me how to fix a couple other small things that we were going to have him do. I wrote him a check right on the spot.

Good to hear. Yeah, tree roots are now what I am facing. smh.

Looks like I still need to make a few more payment on my guitar, once that is done I'm getting my Axe-FX.

I look forward to being able to mimic other guitarist tones/sounds. I love Deftones, Mastadon, Everytime I Die, Norma Jean, Kyruss, QotSA, Metallica (pre-black album), Clutch, etc. So I can't wait to get my hand on it so I can dial in something that sounds similar and Jam out.

New to the Axe Fx 3 family?

I put together a few tips of things that really helped me out early on.

Shout out to chris from Axe Fx Tutorials for his great Axe Fx 3 basic navigation video for inspiring me to create this video. If you are putting off learning basic front panel navigation, go check out his video. There is a link to his video in my video description.

Edit on the "Fly" @ 3:42 into the video :)

Nice vid! I use a similar amp stand as well.

I always maintain that if you're playing live, learn the front panel!

I use the front panel 95% of the time, and I'm comfortable enough that if I needed to make on the fly adjustments I could do it in seconds. Yes axe edit is a little easier, but why lug around a laptop and more cables when you can turn a knob and get what you want quickly and easily?
I agree. I use the front panel as well.

Back
Top Bottom