New Axe FX 2 XL+ User

vicsnake

Hey guys, I got my new Axe FX yesterday and I'm really new to all this digital processor world. I'm asking for your advice and help to get this machine going.
I basically just played it with headphones (Shure SRH840) and my guitar directly into the unit. I liked a few presets but found the sound to be too digital and I've read that headphone response isn't very good.

So I need to know how to get the Axe FX to sound wonderful, for reference I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V and a Mesa 2x12 cabinet and I have no idea how to connect the AXE to my rig using only the Axe (bypassing the mark v preamp). Also, I tried using it with my computer but I had no USB cable at hand (does it sound good through the computer speakers? or do I need either to use my rig or studio monitors?).

I felt really overwhelmed with all the options and I'm hoping to get my hands on the Axe-Edit because trying to do things directly on the device felt really counter-intuitive.
If you could recommend some presets to get going (I like stuff like Dream Theater, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses...)

Thanks guys.

Grab Axe Edit and start tweaking...if you want some ready to go presets, find the Fremen stuff and DL those, he does fantastic patches.

Line out to your Mark into the FX return of your loop....but be aware that it's not going to sound good immediately. Start with a blank patch and just run an amp...tweak it from there. Axe Edit is free, so just get it and start messing around with simple stuff. Bass middle and treble, to start. I also like to run a Mark 5 band EQ on things to get it started.

Lastly, read the manual, man. The things you're asking about are simple and all covered in it. No intention to shake you or try to make you feel stupid, but to try to help. This is a good forum, but the first thing you're going to hear is to read the manual.

Computer speakers are not going to sound good, man...when do they ever?

In my experience, it is most likely going to take you a while to get there.
You should be able to get to factory patches to sound very good with no tweaking, with the right setup. Don't rely on headphones.
You need to decide if you are going to use a FRFR set up, which sounds great once you get used to the sound and feel,
Or if you are going to use a traditional amp & cabinet setup.

If going FRFR to me, one of the most important elements is finding the right IR to suit your taste ALONG with the right cabinet!

In my case I am using a XiTone powered 1x12 wedge. This sounds great and works perfect for me.
The Xitone was one of the recommended FRFR solutions suggested here on the forum.
I have had great customer service from XiTone even after my purchase.

There will be a bit of a learning curve. Read the manual. I suggest you download it to your PC so it is only a click away.
The Axe-Fx is the best piece of gear that I have purchased. I continue to learn every day.
Enjoy the journey!

The advice given to me that proved invaluable was; 'start slow, with an amp and cab you're familiar with, then build from there'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will take some time to learn everything,but it's all there from a mark V to a crystal clear fender and every other amp there is. It's in there!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's takes some time, and you got to have killer headphones if going that rout. You may want to start with either your rig OR your home studio speakers, but NOT both, as your live rig will not use cabinet modeling, and that could confuse you. Download the latest driver on your computer, download axe edit, plug in your usb cable and start slow........It's gonna take a month. Watch Chris' videos, they are invaluable ]http://axefxtutorials.com/videos/free-tutorials-and-videos/katsu-kuri-media-videos

Take is slow and easy..........

mj

I use a poweramp and marshall cabs on stage through out 2, and cab and poweramp Sims through OUT 1 to stage monitors and FOH

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It took me a few days to get things sorted out and sounding nice when I first got it. It is all trial, error and tweaking. I have only had it for about 2 months now but I found that going simple.. amp cab and sorting through ir's gets you there. I recommend you spend more time going through IR's than messing with supply sag etc.... The IR tremendously affects the tone.

If you're interested I am going to be streaming again tonight on twitch.tv tweaking parameters and such. I actually learned axe edit by watching others use it on you tube long before I even ever got the unit. Anyway, if you're interested I'll post the link later on forum when i go live.

Back
Top Bottom