New Axe FX 2 Owner - Very Impressed

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi all,

So I finally got my axe fx 2 yesterday. I had to wait a whole day as I picked it up first thing before work. I decided to first just turn it on update the firmware (which was easy enough) and then just plug in a pair of headphones and my guitar and see what it could do. From the first note I played I knew it was gonna awesome. I think I spent the whole night just messing about with presets. So this morning I thought I'd go a step further and connect to my mac and see what it sounded like thru my monitors and I must say I was blown away a second time lol. Love the "Smokin" patch no 230 and also the "Recto Lead" patch no 284. I'm a boogie player and have been for a number of years and I must say it sounded pretty much bang on to me.

After playing around on my mac I decided to hook the axe fx 2 to my mesa mark v using the 4CM. It took me about 20mins to get the levels right as I wasn't getting a lot of volume coming out but then realised I had to alter the soft inputs and outputs. I have it set about right now and it just sounds unbelievable. I'm a TC G system user and the axe fx 2 is just in a different league compared to the g sys. I also have on my current rig an xotic bb pre amp with I use for various songs. I thought I would try the axe fx's drive sounds and I came across the bb pre sound which sounds just like my xotic pedal. I can't believe something in a black box is capable of producing those analogue tones.

Although the menu's are a little daunting at first I'm getting used to them slowly, there's a lot to tweak lol. I'm already thinking of selling my g sys and setting up a new guitar rig. I've already started making my own presets and also looking forward to getting the MFC-101 to control it all.

So first impressions - AWESOME! now I see why artists like John Petrucci, Pete Thorn and Steve Vai use the axe fx 2 the possibilities are endless.

Congrats!!! Nice post! Impressive willpower to not tell the boss your feeling a tad ill as well. :)

Hi all,

So I finally got my axe fx 2 yesterday. I had to wait a whole day as I picked it up first thing before work. I decided to first just turn it on update the firmware (which was easy enough) and then just plug in a pair of headphones and my guitar and see what it could do. From the first note I played I knew it was gonna awesome. I think I spent the whole night just messing about with presets. So this morning I thought I'd go a step further and connect to my mac and see what it sounded like thru my monitors and I must say I was blown away a second time lol. Love the "Smokin" patch no 230 and also the "Recto Lead" patch no 284. I'm a boogie player and have been for a number of years and I must say it sounded pretty much bang on to me.

After playing around on my mac I decided to hook the axe fx 2 to my mesa mark v using the 4CM. It took me about 20mins to get the levels right as I wasn't getting a lot of volume coming out but then realised I had to alter the soft inputs and outputs. I have it set about right now and it just sounds unbelievable. I'm a TC G system user and the axe fx 2 is just in a different league compared to the g sys. I also have on my current rig an xotic bb pre amp with I use for various songs. I thought I would try the axe fx's drive sounds and I came across the bb pre sound which sounds just like my xotic pedal. I can't believe something in a black box is capable of producing those analogue tones.

Although the menu's are a little daunting at first I'm getting used to them slowly, there's a lot to tweak lol. I'm already thinking of selling my g sys and setting up a new guitar rig. I've already started making my own presets and also looking forward to getting the MFC-101 to control it all.

So first impressions - AWESOME! now I see why artists like John Petrucci, Pete Thorn and Steve Vai use the axe fx 2 the possibilities are endless.

Congrats man. Nice to see a fellow Southerner get there hands on one at last. Hopefully I'm only a few weeks behind you!

I got my Axe 10 days ago. I have not made one single preset yet. The user presets just blow me away every time. I even decided not to instal the latest software until I can work around with the machin first. I want to "remember" the way this software works before I get blown away again :)
I just got back from the rehearsal rooms, where we tested out the 4CM and how the Axe sounds just into a tube amps power section.

We even had a chance to A/B the "das Metal" with a real Diesel VH4; Close enough for me! The Axe responds nicely to real OD/DS pedals (even though the ones in to box are great too). We had some basic stuff like the fulltone OCD and some Xotix pedals. All work great. As for the 4CM, I will fiddle some more to get the levels just right. We didn't have time to do it with thought, but a 15 minute test run showed that it worked and isn't too hard.

Good to hear that you like it. I'm also so amazed of this thing!
I hope you have many happy years with the Axe FX II :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just one thing I wanted to ask though, If I'm hooked up via the 4CM and wanted to use an amp sound like the recto orange for example, where is it best to place the amp block? after the fx loop or before?

Cheers

Paul

I got my Axe 10 days ago. I have not made one single preset yet. The user presets just blow me away every time.

Same here! I got mine effectively three days before my first rehearsal with a new band, and I took the gamble and just played with 4-5 presets I had auditioned at home that I liked. They were totally awesome and for now I dont have need to re-invent what is already working well for me. Maybe that will change over time, but some of these presets are just friggin amazing.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just one thing I wanted to ask though, If I'm hooked up via the 4CM and wanted to use an amp sound like the recto orange for example, where is it best to place the amp block? after the fx loop or before?

Cheers

Paul

After, otherwise you will run a preamp into a preamp. Disable the poweramp sim of the amp block in the Axe though.

Here is my 2 cents. I own the AXE FX 2 and just got the MFC 101 a couple of days ago. Used the AXE on a job just using standard presets last week and people were astounded at the sound. Used the MFC 101 for the first time last night at a rehearsal studio and the employees were wondering what the h**l were these things and where did I get them. Of course I told them that I had made them from a kit that I ordered online. :). Kidding aside anyone thinking about getting this piece of equipment should stop thinking and own it.

If you really want to mess with them, put this on your gear:

Attachments

• heathkit_logo-510x127.gif
    heathkit_logo-510x127.gif
    12 KB · Views: 31
Hey steadstate, It's ironic you showed that HeathKit insignia, that was my first amp back in the hay days of 1972. And now thanks to Cliff and today's technology I am a proud and thrilled owner of an Axe-Fx II and MFC 101! It's a great time to be living in this guitar gear era!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom