New Axe 3 - Need help with Fryette Powerstation hookup

Variable

Inspired
Something sounds off and I'm wondering if someone else with a Fryette Powerstation can help me out with how they set up. I've tried both the Line In and FX Loop in on the PS2; Line in at -10dB from Out 1 on the Axe3 sounds quiet, even with volume at 50% on the PS2 (which was crazy loud on my Axe2).

I'm wondering how I should set:

Output level on Axe 3: -10 or +4?
Which Axe 3 output is the best bet? Out 1,2,3,4?

Which input on Powerstation? FX Return or Line in?

How should the PS2's Hi/Lo be set?

I've tried a bunch of different combinations and something sounds off. Hoping someone else with this setup can help out.

Try output level +4 on Axe 3 as that was the default setting on the Axe 2. See if that works. I have the same setup and its crazy loud.

I tried +4 on Out1 and I seem to be getting an intermittent high frequency squeak that temporarily cuts out the sound. This has happened with both the PS2 as well as through the 100watt power amp of my Guytron amp. I've tried a bunch of different cables just to make sure it wasn't those.

To test, I can plug just the cable in to either instrument input and if I touch the tip of the cable, I get a nasty high-pitched squealing sound (not the typical bzzzz sound you get when grounding the tip of an instrument cable). I'll try to record the sound with my phone...

To be clear it showed up when playing, I just did the test with the cable since it seems to exaggerate it.

Edit: Here is a link to a video showing the behavior... in it I swap between the Axe input and the preamp input of the Guytron head.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7U53HSabPYYeefP38

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom