new AX8 Updates

FAS has developed the AX8 mkII for months/years already...

Just like any other companys do.

This. It is inevitable that Fractal will release a successor to the AX8 and it is very likely they are already working on it. They probably had an idea of what they wanted to do with the next floor board while they were still designing the AX8. However, it will not be released until it makes financial sense for them (consumers loose interest in AX8 due to competition) and there will be no leaks as to when it would be released as it would sabotage sales of existing inventory.

This^

Every company have to have at least 5years planned ahead, what they are doing. AX8 mkii has been planned and developed already, just like AFXIII has been. These products don’t appear magically from nothing.

This^

Every company have to have at least 5years planned ahead, what they are doing. AX8 mkii has been planned and developed already, just like AFXIII has been. These products don’t appear magically from nothing.

Yep. My guess would be the next iteration of the AX8 is a full blown AXII in floor board format allowing dual amps/cabs and the effects missing from the AX8 and both would sell simultaneously at different price points. My guess would be the AX8 stays around the current price while the full AXII Floor would sell for $500-$700 more. I think a full blown replacement, AXIII in floor board format, is likely still a few years away.

I don't think they are going to develop anything with quantum modeling. I believe the next generation will be a mini AxeIII. Much less inputs and lesser block count. The essential live unit.

I don't think they are going to develop anything with quantum modeling. I believe the next generation will be a mini AxeIII. Much less inputs and lesser block count. The essential live unit.
^this^

I seriously doubt we see anything new based on SHARC DSP. Consolidating everything to TI DSP and Aries probably greatly simplifies firmware updates moving forward.

^this^

I seriously doubt we see anything new based on SHARC DSP. Consolidating everything to TI DSP and Aries probably greatly simplifies firmware updates moving forward.

Using AXII firmware, there would be no updates as the firmware is mature. It'd be a different experience for buyers, but doesn't diminish the great sounds capable.

Using AXII firmware, there would be no updates as the firmware is mature. It'd be a different experience for buyers, but doesn't diminish the great sounds capable.
But the TigerSHARC the II runs on is being phased out by Analog Devices.

But the TigerSHARC the II runs on is being phased out by Analog Devices.

And what proc is in the AX8? IS it being phased out too? Would adding another be enough to hand the full AXII firmware? It would seem the biggest (almost only) complaint from users is the switching gap. The ability to run dual amp paths and swap between would be enough alone for some users to upgrade, and in the missing effects/additional instances of effects, perhaps some upgraded/additional I/O (second loop) and there's perhaps enough there to warrant a second price tier within the AX8 family.

Just fun speculation on my part...

First, bring on FW 10.00 to the AX8. Second, bring on a full blown AX8-III-Ultra- whatever it is called. I don´t care for a stripped-down floor version, I want full power in a floor unit. I can´t see myself carrying a rack and foot controller anymore.

Back
Top Bottom