New AX8 Is Blowing My Mind

Phil M

Inspired
I’m a relative noob to modeling technology though I do have some experience with Fractal. I owned an AxeFX Standard very briefly in 2011 but it was enough to convince this skeptic. The amp tones were there even back then.

In late 2015 I learned of the AX8 and immediately got on the list but never ended up getting one.

Fast forward to last week and I’m looking at my Friedman Naked, Carol Ann SD60, Allen Old Flame and Matchless HC-30 (not to mention the Dual Rec I sold last week) and wondering if it wouldn’t be better to keep one or two heads and move to modeling. Every whim can be tested out without bringing in a new expensive piece of hardware (another $$$ tube amp). Yes, I’ve been guilty of being an amp freak. So I placed the order with Fractal ...

My AX8 was delivered yesterday and I spent 3 hours with it. After owning amps like the BE100 and Dual Rectifier, my brief tests showed that the modeled versions are close enough for me. And that’s with barely scratching the surface.

Apparently I already had an account here from 2011 but didn’t remember posting back then. Anyway I’m here now and looking forward to learning. Not a lot to add to the community at this point other than to say “holy crap!” ... this box is amazing.

I too have returned back to the fold but for me it was only a hiatus of like 6 months. The fractal world is like being in the chocolate factory - it can be so amazing but be careful, the rabbit hole is deep. Welcome back!

I love my AX8, but the tube amps won't be going anywhere. Two different tools for different uses. My AX8 is a great small gig/recording tool - which is all I really do anymore. The tube amps provide me with that awe inspiring pant flapping experience that makes me want to play more!

I experimented with a lot of smallish tube combos to run the 8 through and I found that running it through a Randall RM-50 combo with a G12 T-75 gave got me close to "best of both worlds" experience I was looking for. When I finally finish my basement remodel I'll post some videos.

My AX8 comes tomorrow... I first saw Fractal at NY/NJ Amp show may 7-8 years ago. I stood in front of the speaker as the guy demoed it and couldn't believe it was digital. I was just getting back into electric guitar, building my first pedal boards. I realize in order for my board to do a lot of different things live I need to step into the AX8 world. My boards were always built to be transparent to my amps sound. But that is limiting if you run through PA and don't use cabinet simulators. Plus just buying a Strymon Mobious and a Timeline basically puts you close to the AX8 price. Might as well go digital before I go down that rabbit hole.

And a deeeeeeep rabbit hole it is! Welcome back :)

Though, I love the idea of owning an amp; just to have. Some days our ears play tricks on us and we suddenly don't like our modeller that we have, and we have a sudden urge or need to hear a 'real amp' to remind us of what a real amp sounds like. I've got my trusty EVH 5153 50w there for those days. I'll always have it.

In which rule book does it say that you can't have both!?! :D:D:D

And a deeeeeeep rabbit hole it is! Welcome back :)

Though, I love the idea of owning an amp; just to have. Some days our ears play tricks on us and we suddenly don't like our modeller that we have, and we have a sudden urge or need to hear a 'real amp' to remind us of what a real amp sounds like. I've got my trusty EVH 5153 50w there for those days. I'll always have it.

In which rule book does it say that you can't have both!?! :D:D:D
More of a mink hole than a rabbit hole, imho...;)

Back
Top Bottom