New Ax8 has better tone than Axe FX II

jmcorey

Hey Everyone,

I just tried my new Ax8 that arrived Thursday. Pushing the sounds through my single Rokit 6 speaker, the tones are sharper and more present than my Axe FX II Mk II with Quantum 8.

Do you guys think that this difference is due to my Ax8 coming with Quantum 9 firmware? Or is there an intrinsic sound difference between the Axe Fx and Ax8?

Thanks.

Could be a number of things, for example maybe you’ve got the global EQ set funky on the Axe II.

But yes, there was a difference in tone and feel between Q8 and Q9.

When on the same firmware with the same settings, the two units are roughly identical.

Would seem a logical way to compare two different units, no ?

Considering different firmware on the same unit - sounds ....different , I would predict the same would apply to different units sounding different , with different versions of firmware.

But , then again , I'm indifferent.
My AX8 sounds amazing with the latest firmware.

Quantum 9 was a definite improvement over 8. A quantum leap so to speak. There is a reason FAS didn't call it "Marginal".

I don’t think Cliff ever intends any firmware updates to make things sound worse. Should be steady improvements/refinements from each and every update.

I started around the non-quantum fw5 or 6, and the past 25 or so updated versions have always moved things forward

Well I also think my Axe8 sounds better. Same firmware too. I figured it must have been some setting I messed up on the Axe2.

Back to the axe 1 days, or early II, a patch update could make certain amp settings sound bad, but now, any update only makes proper settings sound like a better version of themselves. With a few exceptions,the few amps which still aren't accurately modeled and could change a lot if it happened.

My Axe8 sounds a bit different than my Axe II. We're talking different here, not better or worse. It's been a while since I fired up the II, but I think it sounded a bit thicker / duller than the Axe8.

Hey Everyone,

I just tried my new Ax8 that arrived Thursday. Pushing the sounds through my single Rokit 6 speaker, the tones are sharper and more present than my Axe FX II Mk II with Quantum 8.

Do you guys think that this difference is due to my Ax8 coming with Quantum 9 firmware? Or is there an intrinsic sound difference between the Axe Fx and Ax8?

Thanks.

The Axe FX II XL actually sounds a bit better, to me anyways.

When they are on identical firmware and using identical settings (ie, not using non-AX8 parameters like amp block bias trem, cab block room, etc), the units I have sound identical. I have an AX8 and an XL+.

Some of the hardware components can cause an audible difference on certain settings, such as the variable impedance input on the rack vs fixed 1M OHM on the AX8. When comparing, set the rack unit to 1M OHM fixed and use the front input.

I had an ax2 xl for work for a couple years, and i think the ax8 sounds better overall. Could be how i was using it or increased knowledge, who knows.

I had an ax2 xl for work for a couple years, and i think the ax8 sounds better overall. Could be how i was using it or increased knowledge, who knows.

Or could be that the XL would sound every bit as good today with the latest firmware, as that has steadily improved over the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom