New AX8 firmware update?

No, the AX8 does not share the same hardware as the AxeII. Different DSP chips entirely. Whether the portion of Ares that is being ported to the AxeFX II will be ported to the AX8 or not remains to be seen. We already know that the amp modeling in the AX8 was simplified from the start by eliminating a few things that are included in the AxeFX II amp modeling in order to get it to run on the AX8.

Historically, improvements have been implemented in the AxeFX II first and then ported to the AX8. I can only remember one FW release where the AX8 got the improvements first. I'm sure if the AX8 hardware can handle it, the improvements will eventually be ported to the AX8 since it's still an active product.

They are different DSPs, but it's the same code base at the block level. The AMP block (and all other blocks) are supposed to sound identical on the AX8 or the II (with both at the same firmware revision). The difference is the AX8 can't run as many blocks at the same time, or do dual amp presets, etc, as the AX8 will run out of CPU headroom. And some blocks won't run at all on AX8, like multi-comp.

So I don't believe what you say is quite accurate but since this is the internet I'll just say...

YOU'RE WRONG! FIGHT ME!

:)

No, I’m right on this.

The amp block in the AX8 is not identical to the AxeFX II. The effects blocks are. There are parameters that were not ported. We’d have to go back to old threads from the months before the AX8 was released but there are differences. I don’t have an AxeFX II anymore so I can’t compare them directly. I do have an AxeFX III but that’s another beast entirely.

No, I’m right on this.

The amp block in the AX8 is not identical to the AxeFX II. The effects blocks are. There are parameters that were not ported. We’d have to go back to old threads from the months before the AX8 was released but there are differences. I don’t have an AxeFX II anymore so I can’t compare them directly. I do have an AxeFX III but that’s another beast entirely.

You are entirely too polite. Must have been raised before social media.

I stand to be corrected, but I didn't know the amp block was any different. I bought the AX8 on the basis of identical sound, and before I sold my II I exported all my favorite block settings from the II and imported them into AX8 as the basis for my first AX8 presets.

Maybe Cliff or Matt could confirm/deny?

No, I’m right on this.

The Ax8 amp block doesn’t do the power tube bias tremolo the II does for example. Doesn’t mean it can or can’t be ported, but that is an example of the differences in processing

Haha, yes I was raised before social media. The world would be much better if we treated each other politely, with respect...

Things could have changed, but if I recall the bias trem was left out as were the preamp tube types. There could be other minor differences.

I think the cab block is not identical either; it’s missing the studio preamp types.

You are entirely too polite. Must have been raised before social media.

I stand to be corrected, but I didn't know the amp block was any different. I bought the AX8 on the basis of identical sound, and before I sold my II I exported all my favorite block settings from the II and imported them into AX8 as the basis for my first AX8 presets.

Maybe Cliff or Matt could confirm/deny?
There are definitely parameters on the AMP block that are present in the II but not available on the AX8. Amp tremolo for example is one that springs to mind.

According the the wiki, the AX8 has "no Tremolo in the Amp block" and "no Room ambience / De-Phase / mic modeling / Motoro Drive / channel strip modeling in the Cab block".

I stand corrected, thanks folks. I was so ready to fight too :)

So.. the amp block can no longer be exported as .syx from the II and imported into AX8? Or could it ever? I thought I did that, but it was a long time ago.. maybe I did that for everything BUT the amp block.

I stand corrected, thanks folks. I was so ready to fight too :)

So.. the amp block can no longer be exported as .syx from the II and imported into AX8? Or could it ever? I thought I did that, but it was a long time ago.. maybe I did that for everything BUT the amp block.

I think that is a question for Cliff....

Previously it worked and certain parameters were just left out. With a new underlying modeling it may or may not transfer between units. Don’t know if Ares and Quantum share much under the hood or totally different code.

I can only imagine Cliff will try to wring every last bit, or byte lol, he can from what he has to work with.

But many blocks are cross-compatible between the Axe II and the AX8.

Yes, and I thought the Amp block was a block like the others, but apparently not.

TRANSFERRING BLOCKS BETWEEN PRODUCTS
The AX8, FX8 and Axe-Fx II cannot share presets, but you CAN transfer individual effect block settings from
one product to another using our editor software applications: AX8-Edit, FX8-Edit, and Axe-Edit.
Axe-Fx Blocks from firmware 18.04 or newer (including all "Quantum" versions) are supported in this way.
ABOUT THE BLOCK LIBRARY
The Block Library feature is one of the best reasons to use our editors. It allows you to save a collection of
fully-dialed-in blocks to draw from whenever you are creating or editing presets. For example, you might
save a favorite perfectly-tweaked Drive block as "Tweaked Screamer". Once you do, it only takes a few
mouse clicks to drop this block in wherever and whenever you need it. It is the files created by the Block
Library that make it possible to transfer blocks from one unit to another.
EXAMPLE: BLOCK TRANSFER FROM AN AXE-FX TO AN AX8
In this example we'll transfer an Amp block from Axe-Edit to AX8-Edit by copying a block .syx file from the
Axe-Edit Block Library to the AX8-Edit Block Library.
1. Run Axe-Edit. Find the block you wish to transfer.
2. Add that block to the Axe-Edit block library:
ƒ Select the block.
ƒ Click the "+" (plus) menu in the Blocks Library control in the lower left and select "Save".
ƒ Give your block a meaningful name. "My Amp" is not good. "Amp Deluxe Mid Crunch" is great.
3. Repeat the above steps for any number of blocks you wish to transfer. TIP: Axe-Edit includes
a feature which allows you to save ALL Blocks in the current preset to the library at once!
4. Locate the block on your computer using Finder or Explorer.
Shortcut: Click the Block Library "+" menu and choose "Show Folder".
5. Select the file(s) for your block(s) and copy to your computer's clipboard
using the keyboard shortcut for COPY (Cmd/Ctrl + C)
6. Now open the AX8-Edit Block Library folder. If you don't know where it is, use the same shortcut:
ƒ Launch AX8 Edit and select any block on the grid.
ƒ Click the "+" (plus) menu in the Blocks Library control in the lower left and choose "Show Folder".
7. Paste your Axe-Edit blocks into th AX8-Edit Blocks library using
the keyboard shortcut for PASTE (Cmd/Ctrl + V)
8. If it is already running, re-launch AX8-Edit so it can scan your new blocks.
9. To INSERT from the block library, choose any grid space (empty or populated)
and choose Block : Library : Recall from the top menu

Presets have never been cross-compatible of course.

I seem to recall that the AX8 amp does not run in high resolution. I believe it always runs in lower resolution like the AXE-II does when using multiple amp blocks.

@sam Yea, I think that's right too.

I know that when I had both, and that was quite a while ago, there was a definite audible difference between the AX8 and the AxeFX II. But it was negligible as far as I was concerned. I sold the AxeII after getting the AX8. For that matter, I have been debating whether to keep my AxeFX III, which clearly sounds better than the AX8 but the all-in-one form factor is winning out so far...

@sam Yea, I think that's right too.

I know that when I had both, and that was quite a while ago, there was a definite audible difference between the AX8 and the AxeFX II. But it was negligible as far as I was concerned. I sold the AxeII after getting the AX8. For that matter, I have been debating whether to keep my AxeFX III, which clearly sounds better than the AX8 but the all-in-one form factor is winning out so far...

I agree with you
I’ve said it before when AX6 or AX8 MK2 whatever they call it shows up
I will sell the 3
The 3 is amazing but I really only need a handful or models
The main thing in keeping the 3
Is the recording interface

I seem to recall that the AX8 amp does not run in high resolution. I believe it always runs in lower resolution like the AXE-II does when using multiple amp blocks.

If that's true, you really wouldn't know it. I put my AX8 through the III's loop and dialed in the same model on both. Darned if I could hear one bit of a difference even on the newest firmware.

Back
Top Bottom