New AX8 Feels Different From Last

KAM

To make a long story short, I traded off my AX8 for a deal on a Friedman Butterslax (with the intention to get another AX8 soon). Here I am a month later with a new AX8 and something feels different about it. The only difference I can tell is that this one arrived with v10.0 firmware, but the one before it was the previous version. I also loaded the newest version of Austin Buddy, but have not deleted any of the default patches as I am still evaluating all the patches to see which I want to keep. I only mention it because the Austin Buddy patches feel the same way, and because it's setup exactly like my last one.

Anyway, the thing is that this one feels a little dryer and less responsive than the last. The other one responded so nicely to my pick attack no matter what the gain level, but this one does not feel like that until I juice the gain. There is definitely a difference between the two. I used to have an AxeFX II as well and that also felt different. This new one just feels chewier, not as loose, a little more resistant to pick attack. Increasing the gain on most patches does help, but of course I can't play all the patches gained up.

I don't know if it's the new firmware or some global setting that I haven't thought of, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be, or if anyone has noticed something similar with the new firmware? I'm not saying the firmware has anything to do with it, but that's the only difference I can tell between the two.

Dunno what amps are you using, but my advice is to update to v10.01 as it fixes some amps having asigned wrong bias parameters. If anything, responsiveness to pick attack is improved with v10.00.

Dunno what amps are you using, but my advice is to update to v10.01 as it fixes some amps having asigned wrong bias parameters. If anything, responsiveness to pick attack is improved with v10.00.

Sorry, did I not already make that clear?

OK so I installed the firmware and it improved the feel. I still think my last AX8 felt more right, but at least the firmware improved it. Thanks for the fix.

I'm guessing that something in your global settings is different. Did you do a backup of global settings from your original unit that you can upload into the new one?

Load up the firmware you last used on your old ax8. Also could it be your input level is different? Also the cap/resistor selection at the input is worth looking into (I think that's an ax8 feature, not just ax2 correct?)

The update helped.
I'm guessing that something in your global settings is different. Did you do a backup of global settings from your original unit that you can upload into the new one?

I have a backup, but haven't tried loading it because I'm not sure what settings to look for to see what changed.

Back
Top Bottom