Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack - Partial Update (Bank 1 Marshalls) for Cygnus X3 firmware update now available

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I too messed up at one point.
I just reinstalled the OMG9 layout from Matt, then added AB's.
That is what I recommend - just reintstall OMG, following the instructions. I'll try to get a better video up sometime, but I'm still studying/learning the FM3/OMG9 page layout stuff myself.

These presets are great per usual. Thanks @austinbuddy. I used the Deluxe Reverb and one of the Plexis for a livestream show we did earlier this week.

When you create a Dream Rig and combine different amps and cabs across scenes, do you get a brief dropout in volume when switching scenes? Any tips for this? I work around it by using scene controllers to boost the rhythm amp channel gain for example when I switch from a rhythm scene to a lead scene. This definitely works just fine. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything else you do.

You are doing it smart. You know what you personally want the relative volumes of the presets scenes to be on stage -- use the SCENE mix to set that to your taste, no need to fool with the Amp Level by scene/channel at all.

Just remember it's better to subtract a few db than to add db - so you leave headroom for drives and boosts per scene.

Help me...Refreshed my FM3 then imported all-layouts-OMG9.fclayouts as well as OMG9-AB.fclayouts.
But in the dislpay of FM3-EDIT, Layout 7 : layout7....all blanked stripes... what happened??

In addition, "SCENES/MORE"... does not work, no changes made on FC6.

Last edited:
@austinbuddy : Probably just me and my setup, and again I'm not trying to be critical here, just constructive: but after i gave in to temptation :))) and bought the Live Gold set anyway, I imported a lot of the Live Gold FM3 presets into my Axe Fx3, and they all sound like they're playing through a honky box. To explain, I run my Fx3 into two Line 6 Powercabs 112 cabs as stereo. I use the Flat (FRFR) settings on the Powercabs. Other presets, including my favourite Burgs Dumble set sound fantastic through that setup. But all the Live Gold ones sound like they are honking around the 1k or just below. I haven't gone into any deep and meaningful frequency analysis yet, to see what could be the matter.

I used the Preset Manager Browser, dragged each Live Gold bank into there, and selected what presets I wanted in the Fx3 (most of them), then dragged them into the appropriate slots on the right. Saved, then repeated with Bank 2. Then, playing through many of them, they all had that real honky sound. I didn't want to change the global EQ, as I kept flipping back to my other presets that I'd retained and they sounded great - didn't want to spoil those.

Is this likely just to be a mismatch between the FM3 settings (which apparently sound good on your Atomic CLR) and my Powercabs in FRFR mode?
Is there anything I can do to get these sounding good, apart from deep-diving into a bazillion presets and tweaking? At the moment, they're not really usable in my studio context - way too boxy and honky. All my gain staging is OK, and as I said, my previous presets (including all my Naked Amp presets from your collection, which I love) all still sound great. It just seems to be something in the fact I'm using FM3 presets in an Fx3, through Powercabs...

Help me...Refreshed my FM3 then imported all-layouts-OMG9.fclayouts as well as OMG9-AB.fclayouts.
But in the dislpay of FM3-EDIT, Layout 7 : layout7....all blanked stripes... what happened??

In addition, "SCENES/MORE"... does not work, no changes made on FC6.

Hi @honeypat: Well it's hard to diagnose from here but I can give you options to try? Maybe this will help others too. It needs a video but I don't have time right now to do one (maybe someone else can demonstrate the concepts?).

Option 1

Attached is my FM3's global-system-layout, saved via FractalBot, which includes OMG9 for my FC-6.

You would use Fractal Bot to load global layouts saved by FractalBot.

It will mess with the looper access on the OMG main page button 3 though (overwrites that, although the individual looper layout page 5 stays intact).

I have not spent time to make this perfect, just to make sure I can access Amp Controllers on layout page 7 (CS2-CS6) and get there quickly from Main layout page (8) you should see on start up. I used over last few weeks with no problems.

So - if you install the global system file you basically have all my setup (as described in the tutorial/setup video tutorial of things one needs to do).

------

Option 2

This presumes you load the full OMG9 layout (again) from scratch, to use with your FM3...you need to carefulyl follow, line by line, the instructions to do that, there are some setup changes it requires.

Concept: Individual or saved "All"Layout Pages do not use FractalBot to load. You load these with FM3-Edit.

Here's how:

In FM-Edit, you go to FC Controllers (click to light it in yellow)... by the way, you do all these steps below with FM3-Edit (not the hardware).

First you click on the layout page you want to IMPORT TO. For my amp layout (page 7), click Layouts "7" FIRST. That brings up the OMG9 layout page 7.

Then you go to LAYOUTS (Not SWITCHES) on left side, then hit triangle under Layouts -- EDIT. This is where you can BACK UP or IMPORT either ALL Layouts, or individual page layouts, and save them or load them from your computer. ( Different than FractalBot).

With layout "7" lit on your FM3-Edit screen, use that LAYOUT/EDIT triangle "Import Layout" (not "all" layouts - we are just bringing in one here) and when it asks you for a file name point to layout 7 FILE included in download (or the one I attached below). That will overwrite the OMG9 Layout 7 page (but no other pages).

Next...click layout "8". This is the OMG MAIN LANDING PAGE (NOT 9). You are going to replace it with the one below that simply removes the LOOPER button on 3/Hold with an Amp Page button. Same processL Layouts > EDIT> IMport Layout, find file,

There is still going to be some weird stuff I have not gotten to figuring out yet, but this setup lets you go from MAIN page to AMP page and backto MAIN page bu using the 3rd FM3 button (Hold).

Attached:
-global FM3 system file (FractalBot)

ALL Layouts from OMG9 (Use FM3-Edit - FC Controllers > Layouts >Edit triangle > "Import ALL Layouts, OPEN and it saves it there.

So, to summarize:

Install OMG9 per the directions.

Layout 7 - import into OMG9 Layout 7

Layout 8 - import into OMG9 Layout 8

When you are done, your FM3 3 button layouts 7 and 8 should look like this (below). You use the HOLD feature on button three to the right to go back and forth between MAIN page and AMP Controller page.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.52.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.51.34 PM.png

Attachments

• ABuddy_FM3_FractalBot_Global-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Layout7-Amp Control.fclayout
    9.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Layout8-MainOMG9-AB.fclayout
    9.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@austinbuddy : Probably just me and my setup, and again I'm not trying to be critical here, just constructive: but after i gave in to temptation :))) and bought the Live Gold set anyway, I imported a lot of the Live Gold FM3 presets into my Axe Fx3, and they all sound like they're playing through a honky box. To explain, I run my Fx3 into two Line 6 Powercabs 112 cabs as stereo. I use the Flat (FRFR) settings on the Powercabs. Other presets, including my favourite Burgs Dumble set sound fantastic through that setup. But all the Live Gold ones sound like they are honking around the 1k or just below. I haven't gone into any deep and meaningful frequency analysis yet, to see what could be the matter.

I used the Preset Manager Browser, dragged each Live Gold bank into there, and selected what presets I wanted in the Fx3 (most of them), then dragged them into the appropriate slots on the right. Saved, then repeated with Bank 2. Then, playing through many of them, they all had that real honky sound. I didn't want to change the global EQ, as I kept flipping back to my other presets that I'd retained and they sounded great - didn't want to spoil those.

Is this likely just to be a mismatch between the FM3 settings (which apparently sound good on your Atomic CLR) and my Powercabs in FRFR mode?
Is there anything I can do to get these sounding good, apart from deep-diving into a bazillion presets and tweaking? At the moment, they're not really usable in my studio context - way too boxy and honky. All my gain staging is OK, and as I said, my previous presets (including all my Naked Amp presets from your collection, which I love) all still sound great. It just seems to be something in the fact I'm using FM3 presets in an Fx3, through Powercabs...

Howdy @Doc Rock

Now- you are sure the WAH did not come on automatically in every preset, right? Check that first.

If you don't have a pedal plugged into Pedal 1 and Pedal 1 set to External Controller 1, OR if you have a spring loaded pedal 1, then wah may come on -- unless you do what I said to do in setup in both the manual (wah section) and video - where it says to change External Controller 1's INITIAL VALUE setting in hardware value from 0% to 100%. That may solve this issue. Hope so!

Okay. Next, let's assume that's not it... Next, plug in your HEADPHONES into the Axe-Fx II jack. Same issue? Sound different? Or, record directly into DAW like Logic or Pro Tools etc.. Do you find the same nasally 1k thing, or that sounds different through your studio speakers?

If so, welcome to the wonderful world of "FRFRs" -- that are all not created equally.

I have never played Line6 power cabs - so I can't say. If none of the above gives you an "a-ha" moment, and you find a consistent frequency thing across everything, then that's where the Global Output 1/2 Graphic EQ comes into play. You can dip 1k and around there if you like. My beta team play through different playbacks than I do, like Geminis or just studio monitors - they haven't noticed this issue you are finding.

If anything, I find the Axe-Fx III imported versions of the FM3 Live gold to be smoother, and less bright - which is why I want to tweak them before I offer them as official Axe-Fx III banks too. But a few people here have tried them on their Axe-Fx III for the time being and seem to be okay and happy with them - they aren't too far off from the FM3 sounds!

(BTW... what guitar? Single Coil? Do you have anything between your guitar and the Axe-Fx III?)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Check that the wha that is in all patches isn’t getting on ( must be toe down to be off)

I found the sound very direct and very opposite to your description

Howdy @Doc Rock Now- you are sure the WAH did not come on automatically in every preset, right? Check that. If you don't have a pedal plugged into Pedal 1 and Pedal 1 set to External Controller 1, OR if you have a spring loaded pedal, the wah may come on -- unless you do what I said to do in setup in the manual (wah section) and video - where it says to change External Controller 1's INITIAL VALUE setting in hardware value from 0% to 100%. That may solve this issue.

Okay. Next, let's assume that's not it... Next, plug in your HEADPHONES. Same issue? Sound different? Or, record directly into DAW like Logic or Pro Tools etc.. Do you find the same nasally 1k thing, or that sounds different through your studio speakers?

If so, welcome to the wonderful world of "FRFRs" -- that are all not created equally.

I have never played Line6 power cabs - so I can't say. If none of the above gives you an "a-ha" moment, and you find a consistent frequency thing across everything, then that's where the Global Output 1/2 Graphic EQ comes into play. You can dip 1k and around there if you like. My beta team play through different playbacks than I do, like Geminis or just studio monitors - they haven't noticed this.

If anything, I find the Axe-Fx III imported versions of the FM3 Live gold to be smoother, and less bright - which is why i want to tweak them before I offer them as Axe-Fx III banks too. But a few people here have tried them on their Axe-Fx III for the time being and seem to be okay.

(BTW... what guitar? Single Coil? Do you have anything between your guitar and the Axe-Fx III?)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the rapid response, @austinbuddy - very much appreciated. Yes, it DOES sound like it's through a wah - but I don't have any expression pedals plugged into my FC-12. I'm heading back to the studio in the next hour or so, so I'll be sure to check out the Wah block setting on some of the patches. I'll also try the headphones. Do I need to tweak External Controller 1's initial value setting in hardware value from 0% to 100% in each individual preset, or is that a global setting? Pardon my ignorance here - I'm not usually a tweaker with my fairly recent Fx3.

I'll report back here once I've had a play with those suggestions - and thanks again :)

By the way, the guitar I was using was a Levinson Blade RH-4, with the humbucker in the bridge position, and a couple of single coils. Same honk on all of those. But sounded great with my previous presets.

Thanks for the rapid response, @austinbuddy - very much appreciated. Yes, it DOES sound like it's through a wah - but I don't have any expression pedals plugged into my FC-12. I'm heading back to the studio in the next hour or so, so I'll be sure to check out the Wah block setting on some of the patches. I'll also try the headphones. Do I need to tweak External Controller 1's initial value setting in hardware value from 0% to 100% in each individual preset, or is that a global setting? Pardon my ignorance here - I'm not usually a tweaker with my fairly recent Fx3.

I'll report back here once I've had a play with those suggestions - and thanks again :)

By the way, the guitar I was using was a Levinson Blade RH-4, with the humbucker in the bridge position, and a couple of single coils. Same honk on all of those. But sounded great with my previous presets.

I'm betting it's the wah. It's a global fix. Look at the release notes and it tells you how to adjust. One tweak and you are fixed. This happens if people don't plug a pedal in, and the Axe-Fx III or FM3 reads that the External Controller starting value is 0% -- the Wah is set up to be toe-down to turn off and so the initial value it needs to see is 100% so the wah bloc knows "Oh, I need to be off now."

One simple global tweak on hardware to change the INITIAL VALUE of External1 Controller from 0% to 100% and you are good to go!

Hi @honeypat: Well it's hard to diagnose from here but I can give you options to try? Maybe this will help others too. It needs a video but I don't have time right now to do one (maybe someone else can demonstrate the concepts?).

Option 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I have followed Option 1, and all go well except middle switch "SCENE/MORE".
Only thhe hold function more does not work....

CLRs are the best. I also have 4. Couldn’t wish for anything better, home studio, stage monitor and small PA.
I agree with you Yek, and I have four too! Awesome studio monitors as well - never owned better, rarely ever heard better!

I'm betting it's the wah. It's a global fix. Look at the release notes and it tells you how to adjust. One tweak and you are fixed. This happens if people don't plug a pedal in, and the Axe-Fx III or FM3 reads that the External Controller starting value is 0% -- the Wah is set up to be toe-down to turn off and so the initial value it needs to see is 100% so the wah bloc knows "Oh, I need to be off now."

One simple global tweak on hardware to change the INITIAL VALUE of External1 Controller from 0% to 100% and you are good to go!

@austinbuddy Thank you - you were spot on! I found the settings via the front panel on the Fx3 (Slightly different from what is described in the FM3 notes in the PDF), and Exp 1 was indeed set to 0%. I changed it to 100% and all of a sudden - everything came to life. You, sir, are a genius. :)

Yes, my description of "honky, around 1k" should have tipped me off to the cocked wah setting. But it never occurred to me, so I thank you for such a rapid support response, AND what now sounds like a superb set of sounds! You can only imagine how it sounded to my ears before. But now, those twin Powercabs sound glorious.

Hoo boy, do I feel like a dummy :) But I'm now going to spend endless hours going through those sounds.

When the Fx3 set comes out in a few weeks, will there be much difference, making it worthwhile to swap them in place of the ones I have now? I guess the obvious answer is if they sound good now, why change them, but I'm just wondering if your tweaks will be substantial?

Thank you again for your help, and for these wonderful presets :)

@austinbuddy Thank you - you were spot on! I found the settings via the front panel on the Fx3 (Slightly different from what is described in the FM3 notes in the PDF), and Exp 1 was indeed set to 0%. I changed it to 100% and all of a sudden - everything came to life. You, sir, are a genius. :)

Yes, my description of "honky, around 1k" should have tipped me off to the cocked wah setting. But it never occurred to me, so I thank you for such a rapid support response, AND what now sounds like a superb set of sounds! You can only imagine how it sounded to my ears before. But now, those twin Powercabs sound glorious.

Hoo boy, do I feel like a dummy :) But I'm now going to spend endless hours going through those sounds.

When the Fx3 set comes out in a few weeks, will there be much difference, making it worthwhile to swap them in place of the ones I have now? I guess the obvious answer is if they sound good now, why change them, but I'm just wondering if your tweaks will be substantial?

Thank you again for your help, and for these wonderful presets :)
Great.

The beauty of the design is, all your FM3 Live Gold preset names end in FM3 (even if imported). The Axe-Fx III Live Gold preset names to come will all end in AX3. So you can tell then apart.

Can’t say yet -- but should not be much different. See my post earlier in this thread about the Global EQ Output setting, and few of the Scene 2 and 3s will probably be less gainey sounding than on the FM3, and maybe bassier... but if you kick on that CS2 Amp boost that will not matter much at all!

Last edited:

Option 1

Attached is my FM3's global-system-layout, saved via FractalBot, which includes OMG9 for my FC-6.

You would use Fractal Bot to load global layouts saved by FractalBot.

It will mess with the looper access on the OMG main page button 3 though (overwrites that, although the individual looper layout page 5 stays intact).

I have not spent time to make this perfect, just to make sure I can access Amp Controllers on layout page 7 (CS2-CS6) and get there quickly from Main layout page (8) you should see on start up. I used over last few weeks with no problems.

So - if you install the global system file you basically have all my setup (as described in the tutorial/setup video tutorial of things one needs to do).

------

Option 2

This presumes you load the full OMG9 layout (again) from scratch, to use with your FM3...you need to carefulyl follow, line by line, the instructions to do that, there are some setup changes it requires.

Concept: Individual or saved "All"Layout Pages do not use FractalBot to load. You load these with FM3-Edit.

Here's how:

In FM-Edit, you go to FC Controllers (click to light it in yellow)... by the way, you do all these steps below with FM3-Edit (not the hardware).

First you click on the layout page you want to IMPORT TO. For my amp layout (page 7), click Layouts "7" FIRST. That brings up the OMG9 layout page 7.

Then you go to LAYOUTS (Not SWITCHES) on left side, then hit triangle under Layouts -- EDIT. This is where you can BACK UP or IMPORT either ALL Layouts, or individual page layouts, and save them or load them from your computer. ( Different than FractalBot).

With layout "7" lit on your FM3-Edit screen, use that LAYOUT/EDIT triangle "Import Layout" (not "all" layouts - we are just bringing in one here) and when it asks you for a file name point to layout 7 FILE included in download (or the one I attached below). That will overwrite the OMG9 Layout 7 page (but no other pages).

Next...click layout "8". This is the OMG MAIN LANDING PAGE (NOT 9). You are going to replace it with the one below that simply removes the LOOPER button on 3/Hold with an Amp Page button. Same processL Layouts > EDIT> IMport Layout, find file,

There is still going to be some weird stuff I have not gotten to figuring out yet, but this setup lets you go from MAIN page to AMP page and backto MAIN page bu using the 3rd FM3 button (Hold).

Attached:
-global FM3 system file (FractalBot)

ALL Layouts from OMG9 (Use FM3-Edit - FC Controllers > Layouts >Edit triangle > "Import ALL Layouts, OPEN and it saves it there.

So, to summarize:

Install OMG9 per the directions.

Layout 7 - import into OMG9 Layout 7

Layout 8 - import into OMG9 Layout 8

When you are done, your FM3 3 button layouts 7 and 8 should look like this (below). You use the HOLD feature on button three to the right to go back and forth between MAIN page and AMP Controller page.

View attachment 69896

View attachment 69895

Just another word about all of this. This is not a definitive solution to using Live Gold with OMG9 set up, This is just something I slapped together so i could check the CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, and CS6 settings as I made the sounds. Iy's not optimal yet as a stage setup - so don't view it hat way. I will work with a few other smart people over next week or so and see if I can take OMG9 and adapt some of it to Live Gold and will post it here and add any finals to the downloads too.

Guys lets give AB a break. All of our setups are different and we all want to access different features. The tones are spot on, MHO. The may need some EQ'ing, but all guitars, pups, playing techniques are different. He can't account for that stuff. Go into the manual and read about control switches. Not that AB needs any help, I for one am grateful that I don't have spend time with amps and I can concentrate on practicing and setting up my board. The fact that I can use a Twin Reverb for rhythm and then switch to plexi for leads without any drop is plain crazy! I'm old school and these Fractal units are simply game changers! Rant over.

Another little error detected that is easy to fix, thanks to @Prince!

Live Gold, Vintage Bogner preset, Scene 2 (Blue). The Amp block is incorrectly set to C (Euro Red).

Just change Scene 2 Amp block to channel "B" (Euro Blue) and hit save. I'll fix this in future versions.

BTW, I LOVE this amp soooo much....

Please keep these little errata coming that you find so we can get it fixed in next update.

Last edited:
BTW, today Mark Holcomb kindly lent me one his signature PRS guitars, so for the next few weeks I have a good metal-oriented guitar to work with on with some of the metal amp presets to come for Bank 3... but I can't play like him though! :p

I will be taking the weekend off from playing/dialing in and resume work on Bank 3 next Monday. My both my index fingers are cramping up/sore (one barres chords for hours, the other mouse clicks like a maniac, and I use both index fingers mainly to "hunt and peck type" -- which is sad, truly :(...). Just need to rest them a bit for the next big push, but feel like we are on track to have Bank 3 by end of month/should be doable.

Instead, I'll spend some time next few days studying/working on the OMG9 and possible improved layouts for that.

You guys keep playing and reporting back in if you find preset stuff that needs to be fixed/adjust....so far the overall TonePack feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, glad you guys love these tones!

IMG_2513.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom