Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I'll have a video tutorial up soon - should be tomorrow, and will post here... Even edited, it runs about 45 minutes. :eek:

Ironically, I found an error in a preset when making the video.

The AC-15 preset has CS5 and CS6 switches backwards.

CS6 should by assigned to Bass CUT (not saturation)

CS5 should be assigned to Saturation (not CUT).

You can fix this yourself. I will fix it in future updates. Counting on you guys to let m know here (or email at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com) if you find any other little errors like that as you go through these over time, thanks!

Cool! Let me know what presets-amps you used!
The set list was a mixture of alt-rock, pop, blues, and hard rock for a total of 34 songs. Obviously I had limited time to prepare the presets. I did the show with a total of three amp choices based on my experience with the AX8 Dream Rigs package (and a couple of song specific variants I slapped together quickly for effects):
EF86 Treble AC20
V1 Brown Eye
V1 Hairy Brown Eye

I had positive reports from band members and the audience (which included a good number of musicians). Having all of the gain levels set up as scenes inside of the preset worked well, and the new presets cut through the mix nicely. I didn't set up the scenes the way I'd prefer them, so I didn't have enough gain on the AC20 lead...but that's on me. It's actually extraordinary how close I came to the sounds I wanted with just those three presets.

One of the takeaways was that the three switch FM3 by itself, although it was fine in rehearsal, didn't cut it for a show...in the 90 degree heat I kept getting confused on whether I was tapping or holding switches. Must take the FC6 from now on!

Moving forward, the real test will be how hard it is to combine amp and cab channels from multiple AB presets into custom presets. This never worked well on the AX8, but I'm hoping that FM3 Edit will be a bit more predictable/reliable and that the AB presets are standardized to the point where this will work right this time.

One thing I really miss from the AX8 Dream Rigs is the block library. I'll probably try to convert it, but is there any chance that an updated version will be included in this package?

Last edited:
One thing I really miss from the AX8 Dream Rigs is the block library. I'll probably try to convert it, but is there any chance that an updated version will be included in this package?

Thanks for the feedback -- glad you and the audience like the tones!

Modest blocks library may possibly come later....simply didn't have time to clean it all up (there are some blocks I have to delete in my library too) and do it right, and am still focused in coming weeks on Bank 3 getting done as main priority.

You can save effects blocks you find you like of course. I do that with the Fractal Factory presets myself - GREAT stuff in there.

Eventually planning to do a massive effects blocks library product for FM3/Axe-Fx III to work with 1400+ Naked Amps and Live Gold TonePacks, and want to integrate the efforts not re-invent the wheel.

Okay -- here is a down and dirty tutorial video for FM3 users of the Live Gold TonePack (aka "what I did on July 3rd/4th...").

This is NOT a "Live Gold sound demo" video -- those will come later from other players.

This video starts by explains the differences between the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack for Axe-Fx III, the 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack for AX8 and Axe-Fx II, and the new 1000+ Live Gold Tonepack for FM3 (and later this summer the Axe-Fx III).

It then walks through important hardware settings you need to make for Audio including:

- the +4db versus -10db output setting,

- the Output 1 knob positioning between 12:00 and 3:00 and how it differs for XLRs versusS/PDIF and maybe USB,

- setting your Pedal 1 to External 1 controller so the Wah works

- setting the External Controller 1 start value to 100% instead of 0%, so and spring-loaded wahs in pedal don't turn on the Wah when the preset loads

It then discusses the banks layouts by modeled amp type, then preset layout design and "why". It also covers the shunt "tap" off the amp block (if you use a power amp and real cab, you have to adjust for this), and approaching using the SCENE mixer in the Out1 and Out2 blocks so you won'y clip on stage when you add or stack the presets' drives/boosts.

It then goes into why you need to set up foot-switch controllers for CS2 (Amp Boost), CS3 (Fat), CS4 (brite reverse), CS5 (Saturation) and CS 6 (Bass CUT) and how to use those.

The CS2 Amp Boost is ESSENTIAL to getting the best sounds, and many scenes will say "Try CS2 Boost here". It shows how you can set up your own an Amp controller layout 7 page for your FM3 to achieve that.

It walks through the various effects blocks including drives, delays, and reverbs, and the amp block and cab block and how I approached making the four scenes -- humbuckers for scenes 1-4, and single coils for scenes 5-8 for same amps ranging from clean, lower gain, medium gain or rhythm, and then higher gain or leads. It also covers the cool tool of Scene Manger in the editor.

Then has some concluding advice on setting up, FRFRs and playback, using Global Out EQ to tweak, and some of the guitars I used to make these sounds.

It runs long (sorry) at 45 minutes with edits, but wanted to cover all of this.

Am also getting some newbie Fractal/FM3 questions about how to loading banks, set up and calibrate expression pedals etc. Some of that is covered above in new video, but I covered most of those concepts here in the Axe-Fx III Naked Amps tutorials 2 &3 on YouTube (so look there for now). If can find time will do a second tutorial video for FM3 on that, but I need to get cranking on Bank 3....

Enjoy!

Last edited:
This is, of course, good advice.

What I appreciate about your products (aside from the tones) is your careful organization. It's a huge time saver.

Agree -- with my TonePacks, in the end, you aren't just buying great tones, you are buying the saved time you would have spent doing all of this yourself. That's the huge value here - all for less than the cost of a one real world pedal! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...
I haven't stop playing for 3 hours... I've only made it through a few presets. I went straight to the Morgan EF 86 amps. I can't believe how good they sound. These presets sound fantastic.
The CS layout makes complete sense (as I use the FM3 for portability I'll only add a switch and an expression pedal) I can audition the effectiveness of the amp controls as I try out the presets. Also-great idea to use the scenes 1-4 OR 5-8 for humbucker or single coil sounds. The layout a HUGE TIMESAVER.

Q; What made you choose the Atomic?

Last edited:
I haven't stop playing for 3 hours... I've only made it through a few presets. I went straight to the Morgan EF 86 amps. I can't believe how good they sound. These presets sound fantastic.
The CS layout makes complete sense (as I use the FM3 for portability I'll only add a switch and an expression pedal) I can audition the effectiveness of the amp controls as I try out the presets. Also-great idea to use the scenes 1-4 OR 5-8 for humbucker or single coil sounds. The layout a HUGE TIMESAVER.
The Divided by 13 Amps also are sounding killer to me, check those out too!

Hey @skunc - saw you asked about why I chose an Atomic Neo-CLRs? This is as good a place as any to tell the story. They are both my studio monitors and gig "amps." I now have four of them, although one is making noises now - I think the low end from making presets from bass or metal amps when doing the 1400+ Naked Amps or 200+ Bass TonePack may have finally shook something loose in it! :cool:

Ten years ago or so when I got my first Ultra and then my first Axe-Fx II, Dweezil Zappa was playing the very first Atomic speaker cabs (tube powered!) -- so I got those. They were heavy and not necessarily strictly FRFR, but they sounded pretty good/loud (at the time anyway!). Dweezil was using them on tour so I got to really hear what they could do.

Then, around early 2010's at an LA Amp Show where Fractal did an Axe-Fest West (2013?), we did a shoot-out in a room with a bunch of FRFRs on the market then. Scott Peterson was there I recall. I liked the RCFs at the time, they had a 2x12 and a 2x10 if I recall right - but pricey. I had some Matrix ones for awhile but if you moved four feet left or right all the top end was gone (they were good for what they did, but not enough for me). I think the Atomics were there but don't recall. But the lesson I got from that experience was this: ALL FRFRS DO NOT SOUND ALIKE or are truly "FRFR." Some hype certain frequencies, probably to make it sound more "cab like" for example.

The Atomic NEO CLRs later came out, and they were lightweight, 500 watts, sounded great, could be used as wedge or backline or even on PA stands, and were coaxial. That coaxial was pretty important, because they have very good dispersion - you don't lose all your sound when you walk left or right a few feet. Plus, they sounded very balanced and "FRFF" - especially the detailed mids and high mids, which is where guitars really live. Their frequency range is 70Hz to 18kHz. For reference, a low Guitar E string is I think is 82Hz.

I also got a test a few once at M@tt Picones house; I brought my CLRs up to visit him and he had been a sent a few to try out so we did. That's when I really heard the CLR difference, liked them much much better than the others (not naming names) because they were more balanced and sounded "truer" - to my ears anyway.

Anyway, I then set a pair up as my home studio monitors for music listening as well -- and was blown away. Because they are sized big (pointing into my ears) -- they more than 1 foot by a 1 foot -- wow, I can hear everything happening, with a larger sweet spot. I put on some Steely Dan and heard stuff in the recording I had never heard before. SOLD! I can mix an album on these, truly.

So I fell in love with them. I tried a few others -- there is a 2x12 Gemini II I recently got that is pretty great for a gig where you have ot be really LOUD -- but always come back to CLRs. I don't like the NON-Neo versions as much though. Something about the neodymium magnet makes the top end smooth and silky maybe?

I recently ran across this review of them by Pete Thorn (who knows what he is doing), and he basically validated all the things I had noticed and mention above. Here it is:

They aren't cheap -- they are like $999 each -- but I've never heard anything better, they are sturdy for gigs, they also hold up remarkably well in A/B test compared to the pro audio ATCs I recently got -- which is what veteran rock engineers/mxiers Eddie Kramer and Elliott Scheiner told me they mix on now, when I met them at the 2020 NAMM show.

To be crystal clear: I don't have any business relationship with Atomic. The owner has always treated me well when I had questions and when I had one of the older amps failed, he gladly paid to replace the failed part and for the labor for a local repair job, which I appreciated.

The proof for me I guess is I create the presets on them, where I can really hear detailed mids, and they seem to translate well to a whole bunch of other playback systems you guys use (with your own adjustments).

So that's the story! :)

at the pace I'm going it could be a few weeks before I get to them. I'm a big fan of the CJ11.
Take your time. I just really remember the /13s standing out to me, like a true real amp was in my studio behind me. Killer!

This seems very interesting but on my previous modeler attempts I’ve never had luck with other people presets... is there a way to check one basic preset to see (hear) if it’s “compatible” with my monitoring system?

This seems very interesting but on my previous modeler attempts I’ve never had luck with other people presets... is there a way to check one basic preset to see (hear) if it’s “compatible” with my monitoring system?

Sure -- try this one I released already - it's a Strat one. Here's that thread. Plus attaching.

Attachments

• Strat! SRV 1X15Vibroverb FM3.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 47
Hey guys -- am attaching for free here the Atomic Brown Sound preset in the Live Gold collection. Something to see how this sounds on your own playback systems, per @Rublalup's question.

Now go play some early album Van Halen...."I Ain't talking about an Eruption Mr. Ice cream man, and Jamie is an Atomic Punk".... :cool:

This preset is formatted a little different than the others in Live Gold because I wanted to pack in some extra effects, so had to lose some shunts to save a little more CPU, it's still over 80% which is not ideal.

I will say, there are some other presets that day the Van Halen as good if not better...even one of the Soldano presets has a great sound, and Mark Holcomb and I dialed up an "Unchained" tone on on the Red EVH 5150 III too that is pretty killer played on his PRS guitar.

So - now you guys have a solid humbucker example (Atomic Brown Sound) and Strat example (1X15 Vibroverb). Both can sound even better with other IRs probably that are not available in the Factory ones.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Atomica (Brown Sound) FM3.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I was debating whether to switch to the NEO CLR from my Matrix CFR, but I don't think it'd be worth it. The wider dispersion is nice, but I spend 95% of my stage time standing with it pointed directly at me so I don't think I'd get much benefit there. As far as the EQ curves on each, can you speak to whether the CFR would need any kind of tweaks anywhere to match what it would sound like in the CLRs?

I sent this info off to a friend who may do an FM3 demo, and realized for some of you overwhelmed by the preset volume that a quick short guide to amps used by players you know may be useful to you too as you check stuff out...s o here is some stuff to look for in Bank 1 of the new Live Gold TonePack....

Van Halen stuff — Brit Brown, Atomica, Brown Eye, Lead x99 Soldano…(more to come in bank 3 later)

Brian May - Vox “Hot BMay"

Jimmy Page - early is Supro, later is 1959 SLP/Jump SLP - it snarls. Also, for a gorgeous Zep & humbucker clean like the Rain Song, try the Hook 1B (EQ Bypass ON) scene 1 - Plexi Glory

ZZ Top: Silver Jubilee, but also the OD1- Bass JMP-1

AC/DC - OD2 Bass JMP-1, Malcom and Angus scenes ….Judas Priest in there too…. Plus the JTM45 Plexi Scene 2 has the Ac/Dc Clang…

The Vintage Bogner Ecstasy is dialed in just like my old real one. I love this amp...

The Bogner Strato Fish is similar to Audrey Freed’s tone on his Cry of Love albums with a Strat…some cool, Hendrixy effects there.

Bogner Fish has a Dire Straits-like Neck Les Paul pickup “Play the Guitar on MTV” sound/scene…

We'll do some bank 2 later....

-AustinBuddy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom