New Animals as Leaders Artist Profile Video

It was meant as a joke which all buyers will know is untrue. But he plays so accurate, it almost feels like a machine. Really sick! Those guys must be the best of the best.

I have no proof but I would guess that they probably tracked real drums As Nolly affirmed, but they most likely sample replaced or enhanced the kick and snare. It's commonplace in today's mixes.

Q: "Garstka is a very consistent drummer, and dynamics/consistency is essential in drumming skill/performance (hence the never ending trigger debate between drummers) does this not apply when recording?"

Misha: "It definitely does apply and that's why Nolly was able to capture his sounds well at a good studio and then not have to rely on samples to get the drums to sound powerful. He used a reinforcement sample minimally on the snare to counteract some bleed issues, and the same might be true for the kick, as well as replacing certain tom hits with premade samples of the toms, again to work against bleed. You are hearing Garstka on a kit, which we all felt was an imporant goal for this album."

Source: Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD: New Album The Joy of Motion 3/25/14 - Page 148 - SevenString.org

He explains sample replacement/reinforcement here: Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD: New Album The Joy of Motion 3/25/14 - Page 147 - SevenString.org

Yes this is what I assumed they did. I do it quite a lot. Mixing in a snare sample to reinforce its impact or shape it's timbre more to meet the needs of the track and not necessarily to completely replace a sound. It would be difficult to achieve this with toms because they are usually a focused pitch so you would get a clash or beating (pitch) if you use them with overheads or any signal with kit bleed. Maybe Garstka hits with robotic precision and consistent velocity? The final mix certainly sounds that way.

i'd be very interested in the share. I saw AAL live in hollywood a few months back but not the entire show unfortunately. very good dynamics and goes from nice relaxing jazz to hellish metal quickly. top unknown band.

the slapping (or whatever that technique is called) on the 8 string is totally badass. tosin has the most technique of any guitarist i've ever heard.

Really happy to see that this band gets recognition. They are so innovative in the way they approach song structure and rythm.

Glad to see you got the preset, please do share them with us !!

AAL Changed my world once I found out about them, shook up everything from guitars, amps, personal writing goals, been on a quest ever since and still looking forward to where all that inspiration will come out. Saw them in Pomona CA not to long ago, freakin great band.

I can understand that those patches shouldn't be accesible, while they were sold in the VIP package. But now it seems like they are not included in that anymore, so could we just get them? ;)

Back
Top Bottom