New amp models

There's ~100 amps, with most of their channels in there.
How is that not enough to get the tone you like?...
How many more shades of gray?

Last edited:
I would like a VHT Pitbull UL , Orange TH and OR series amps, Sunn (Cliff had mentioned possibly doing the Model T), Randall RG and some of the Fortin series, I don’t think we have Dumble SSS based model... there are others I can think of... I do think those listed are unique enough that they would add “Something“ to the library.

Asking for more models is not saying what we have isn’t awesome. It’s a reasonable request Cliff himself, is open to it and has put some in, so some folk’s responses here seem weirdly defensive to me... There are certainly no gaping holes in the extensive collection we have and it could stop now and I don’t think anyone would be left wanting too badly. ;) HonestlY, it is just fun to get a new one to play with sometimes and sometimes they become your new fave (for now).

It's an interesting discussion. There are over 250 models in the Axe so just screaming a vague "more!" comes off as a bit ignorant and maybe entitled.

But I totally get it though! "There are all these great amps in here, what about my favorite one? Surely if it's easy enough to model hundreds, my single one can't be that much more work!" The reality though is that even if your favorite amp doesn't get added, chances are you can start with the closest amp model to the one you like and use all the advanced parameters to literally re-create that amp.

However, if you actually own the amp in question. have the schematics. and are willing to send both to Fractal Audio, Cliff has previously said they may be open to modeling it.

Last edited:
I would like a VHT Pitbull UL , Orange TH and OR series amps, Sunn (Cliff had mentioned possibly doing the Model T), Randall RG and some of the Fortin series, I don’t think we have Dumble SSS based model... there are others I can think of... I do think those listed are unique enough that they would add “Something“ to the library.

Asking for more models is not saying what we have isn’t awesome. It’s a reasonable request Cliff himself, is open to it and has put some in, so some folk’s responses here seem weirdly defensive to me... There are certainly no gaping holes in the extensive collection we have and it could stop now and I don’t think anyone would be left wanting too badly. ;) HonestlY, it is just fun to get a new one to play with sometimes and sometimes they become your new fave (for now).

this is a great response
people should not feel ridiculed
for asking politely for something
its also the tone though
there is a difference between
i used a VHT pittbull for years is there any chance we could have one added
compared to “ wow just got my 3 and there no VHT pittbull so dissapointing”

we should look to help people especially new member the 250 amp models can be overwhelming for some
maybe there is a tone in there that is close to what they are looking for

asking questions like what sort of tones are you seeking
what bands are you trying to sounds like

is better than a snarky sarcastic reply
make people feel welcome not inconvenient just my thoughts

You can probably get the tones you are seeking by going into the advanced parameters of the existing amplifiers. In practice, there are about ten basic amplifier architectures, the rest are just tweaks on those. You can do your own tweaking, more B+, less depth, more sag, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can probably get the tones you are seeking by going into the advanced parameters of the existing amplifiers. In practice, there are about ten basic amplifier architectures, the rest are just tweaks on those. You can do you own tweaking, more B+, less depth, more sag, etc.
That's what i thought but if you remind when the AxeFx didn't have by example an ENGL Savage model, you wouldn't have been able to replicate it...
That's probably the same with B7k drive or few other things, sometimes you can't emulate...

And the b7k and savage models are so great, imagine what we could miss now without other amps ? ^^

That's what i thought but if you remind when the AxeFx didn't have by example an ENGL Savage model, you wouldn't have been able to replicate it...
That's probably the same with B7k drive or few other things, sometimes you can't emulate...

And the b7k and savage models are so great, imagine what we could miss now without other amps ? ^^

I'm not saying I am against more models, but we also have to balance it against price. The III is $2,000, which is less than any boutique amplifier, and it includes the effects as well. At some point we have to be grateful for what we have.

I'm not saying I am against more models, but we also have to balance it against price. The III is $2,000, which is less than any boutique amplifier, and it includes the effects as well. At some point we have to be grateful for what we have.
Oh yes i'm absolutely not complaining about what you get for the price, which is absolutely immense :)
Just saying, if Cliff needs new toys and can borrow few special amps...

I'd settle for being able to properly dial in the amps already in the box. Four years in with Fractal and some days I just feel like I have no idea how to get the sound in my head.

Yeah, there are still a few oddball amps that would be great to see, but at this point we have about 95% of just about any amp tone we can think about!
And if the amp isn't in the box we can 'make it' by just twisting some knobs! How cool is that?! :D

I agree, we shouldn't berate others for asking, but it would be helpful if the OP stated what amps or tones he was going for, I'm pretty sure we can help him get something VERY close, if not spot on

Also, to the OP, keep in mind that it may not be the amp at all that gives the tone that you seek - it may be the cab or IR, or you can tone match as well to get an identical sound. There are some amps that just have their own unique sound like the Tucana or hot kitty, or ODS, but most other amps are variations on a theme, and it's likely they can be recreated in the axe.

Help us to help you - what exactly are you going for?

Amps aren't the only part of the equation, yet they get a good chunk of the conversation.

Speakers play a massive role. And in the world of digital and IR's, it's speaker+mic+?. You can run a good guitar+amp+speaker rig and still get tones that you dont love.

Regardless of rig type, if one is struggling yo get a tone they love, they should research what goes into that tone end to end.

Im sure we will get spoiled with more tweaks as time goes on.

My whole approach is to pick an amp and tweak it until I get a tone I like. I've never been one to try and get a 'Fender' tone or "Marshall' one or any other brand. It helps that I'm not trying to sound like any of my guitar heroes. This is what makes the AxeIII an awesome piece of gear, for me.

Now if Cliff decides to throw in another Amp, I won't say no though. :)

It’s like with pedals.... at what point does there stop being sufficient differences in all the hundreds of tube screamer clones on the market ? Essentially every brand of pedal has a near identical take on that circuit, so would there be any point in having more models of it ? If we already have several Rat models do we need a Moerer Black Secret, or an EHX Flat Iron, or a ______?

Should we have amp models of the near identical Ceriatone line of amps even if we already have the original it was cloned off it ?

Do we need a dozen more Fender Deluxe circuits for encompassing every builder who makes a clone ?

of course there are some unique things out there still, I’d enjoy a Randall RG or Century for that solid state 90s Dimebag thing, but we should also focus on circuits and not just brand names, when they don’t bring anything unique to the table.

let’s face it, at this point there is more thought put into coming up with a cool name and aesthetic than there is actually making a unique circuit.

Please, let’s do not forget that people new to the Axe-Fx are not all tweakers or knowing how to use advanced parameters. For people who do not know, it’s easier to scroll amp models than screwing the tone during months.
I’m certainly not able to tweak an amp into another...
I’ve been searching for « my tone » and I only found it with the JP-2C...and I’ve sweared for years that I was not a mesa guy !

Please, let’s do not forget that people new to the Axe-Fx are not all tweakers or knowing how to use advanced parameters. For people who do not know, it’s easier to scroll amp models than screwing the tone during months.
I’m certainly not able to tweak an amp into another...
I’ve been searching for « my tone » and I only found it with the JP-2C...and I’ve sweared for years that I was not a mesa guy !
i maintain my position that a large percent of users don't ever need to touch advanced parameters, but instead just try all the amps. don't worry about what the amp name is, try it. i've helped so many people that end up using an amp "they'd never use" and it's exactly what they want from the gain structure, tone, etc.

if you think you need to adjust advanced parameters, most times you just need to try another amp.

Back
Top Bottom