new AMP day...........Fuchs Train II from UAD.....

bradlake

Axe-Master
I know there are a bunch of us out there who integrate Apollo interfaces and UAD plugins with their FAS gear...I have found that after years of mediocrity in the amp sim dept., UAD has recently come up with a few that are very usable, and arguably of equal tonal quality to what we got, namely James Santiago 's awesome Fender 55 Tweed deluxe , the Marshall Silver Jubilee , and most recently the offerings from Softube/ Fuchs,
an ODS Supreme, and now as of yesterday, an amazing sounding Train II , which i immediately grabbed with a coupon discount I had. so I am running it now in this patch, in a 4CMish setup , guitar>AxFX front input>FX send >Apollo HI-Z in>Apollo Line out7>AXFX return >AXEFX SPIDF out>Apollo SPDIF in. The Train II sim allows you to disable the Cab/recording chain so I can use all the FAS IR goodness. Anybody else having fun in this fashion? Nice distraction from thinking about untimely passing of favorite rock icons and the general malaise of western civilization ..:(Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 10.45.56 AM.jpg

I'm always tempted to try a few UAD amps. The 55 Tweed gets great reviews but I always wonder 'have those guys ever tried FAS'... because I've yet to hear anything that exceeds my XL, or even my Ultra, to my ears. So I'm guessing my recording/jamming process isn't the same as others. Love to hear how folks are using the UAD stuff.

I have to say- if you already have an Axe the money would be better spent on all the unision preamps than more amps the fractal already has...

it's more money to spend where you may not need it- and the price of their pedal package is more than the real ones used...

Next on my list is the SSL I have all the others

I would sure by a Fractal audio interface but hey that's a dream. (For me) yes you could argue it already is but then you could equally argue the Axe fx is at its recording best when used with an interface...

I looked into these apollo interfaces but the lower end twin doesn't have spdif which is the ultimate way to record the Axe imo. Amp modelling aside I would loooove to have sonnox oxford limiter on a dsp built into an interface.

The amp models I saw on the UAD website were really expensive too. You could argue that cost but when you put the value up against an evolving Axe fx then it's clear where the good deal is.

I would sure by a Fractal audio interface but hey that's a dream. (For me) yes you could argue it already is but then you could equally argue the Axe fx is at its recording best when used with an interface...

I looked into these apollo interfaces but the lower end twin doesn't have spdif which is the ultimate way to record the Axe imo. Amp modelling aside I would loooove to have sonnox oxford limiter on a dsp built into an interface.

The amp models I saw on the UAD website were really expensive too. You could argue that cost but when you put the value up against an evolving Axe fx then it's clear where the good deal is.
You are (sort of) mistaken that the Twin does not have digital in...it is a Toslink connection, but optical/coax SPDIF converters are cheap and function fine...it is what I use to connect to my Axe FX.

70f78870e958aab1d0827743c3ae3ab4.jpg

It sounds like a little bit of a faff. I have an excellent interface already but dsp bolt ons would be so sweet.

I have the UAD Fender amp plugin as well and yes it works better than suspected for me, especially with their built-in miced cab sims and mixed with the Ocean Studio Room plugin ...

Just checked the audio examples of the Fuchs Train thingy wow....

Last edited:
Dammit @bradlake we are both UAD addicts... and you sir are an enabler! lol

"must resist urge to buy another plugin...."
You got that right. I've been recently experimenting with extending my Mac Pro/ AXFX / Apollo 8 studio into my bedroom with a 100 ft Thunderbolt cable and a Twin MK II connected to a Thunderbolt 2 dock....overkill to be sure.

1. The converters are so good in the axe fx- you'll get a better result from the xlr outs
2. In theory one less digital conversion/digital outs would be better- but i assure you with numerous others- the xlr outs are better
3. with an apollo/etc- you can also get so much more with the preamps and the xlr than digital with nothing.

I stand by it 1000x- i've tried it all- and in theory digital is better but in real life- the xlr's rule

I typically track all analog. Sounds great and is a good fit for my workflow.

The unison preamps on the apollo are pretty cool with the Fractal XLR outs.

Digital in is really nice when I've got something else, like a vocal, using the unison preamps.

Back
Top Bottom