New affordable PRS line coming

Interesting... personally I don't want to see PRS go too far down the budget line. The SE's are really good guitars, but I don't know how much more they can cut w/out compromising their level of excellence. Of course, YMMV, and they may be really good entry-level guitars, who knows?

These new ones aren't on PRS website yet and they aren't in the 2015 catalog. I would imagine that anything PRS puts out would be at least good quality, but until they're available it's hard to say. If their quality matches the SE's they for that price they'd be a great buy.

The SE models are really the best guitar you can buy in that budget. But the Custom models and higher end models just have that extra level of detail added that can have the price differ. More vibrant wood grains, different materials, higher quality pickups, more finishing touches (binding, etc). I have 2 custom 24's and a ME3 and honestly the SE models play darn near close.

The SE models are really the best guitar you can buy in that budget. But the Custom models and higher end models just have that extra level of detail added that can have the price differ. More vibrant wood grains, different materials, higher quality pickups, more finishing touches (binding, etc). I have 2 custom 24's and a ME3 and honestly the SE models play darn near close.

Yes! SE or Custom. Stay clear of S2. More expensive but crappier than SE. Go figure.

My buddy just got an SE and loves it! He was coming off an ESP and much prefers they way the SE sounds and feels. That being said... next to my DGT the SE just does not stack up. We were writing a short track together just for fun and when switching back and forth between guitars, I could tell he was bummed that the SE was just not quite the same in quality, feel, and more importantly sound. The SE pickups are a bit lifeless IMHO, but nothing a PU swap couldn't fix. You can just feel it, and even see it though. More off a drop in quality from the SE models is a step too far for me personally. To me, and of course this is just my opinion, the SE's are on the verge of being to middle of the road to have the PRS name.

Wow, lots of love for the prs budget line here. Gotta admit, I love the expensive lines and have not played a single SE I have liked. At all. And I really wanted to like them. And I'm not an "expensive guitar snob", I only have one high end guitar, and that because I scored it cheap as a fixer-upper.

I guess I'll keep looking at the SEs then, maybe find a magic one one day.

I love my SE Singlecut with tremolo. Brand new with gig bag for $350 on Ebay.

In terms of feel, it smoked the Gibson Axxess I played at Guitar Center that was many times more expensive.

I can do chin ups on the tremolo and it stays in tune with no mods.

In the new year I'll put a set of Seymour Duncans in it with the triple shot mounting rings and it will really sing.

I really liked the look of an SE245 and the GAS grew... had to have one
thumbsup.gif

Single cut / Les Paul shape, call it what you will with some nice twists and bird inlays - albeit more basic ones.

Loved the feel, did a few gigs with it... went back to my Epiphone Les Paul and the SE245 got sold. Nice guitar, but for me, it simply didn't feel as good
smile.gif

Strummed a CE 24 with Floyd rose at SamAsh today... $499... seemed pretty nice, no doubt with a pickup upgrade would probably be a great gigging guitar you wouldn't be afraid to take out of the house :)

My PRS SE Singlecut has been my main axe for about 2 years now, I love. I'll probably get an SE Custom 24 next, cause I really need to get a second live guitar, for back up. Then I'll save up for a Maryland made Custom 24 in purple!

Awww, man. They put birds on these new low-end models. :roll

Once upon a time, having birds on the fingerboard was a real pride of ownership thing. It (to me anyway) showed that you were "all-in" with your investment in a PRS.

All that aside, I think it'll be a safe bet that these will be the best guitars at their price point.

Couldn't pass up the deal Sweetwater had for Black Friday, so I picked up the SE 245 they had for 348$. What a steal!

just wondering, how do you adjust the intonation with that wraparound bridge?looks like it's stamped with no saddles?

just wondering, how do you adjust the intonation with that wraparound bridge?looks like it's stamped with no saddles?

I had an SE Singlecut for a bit. Excellent guitar for its price. Put locking tuners, straplocks, and DiMarzio pickups in it and it made it 10 times better. The intonation was perfect in standard and Eb tuning. Not sure on anything lower because those are the only tunings I ever use.

There are two intonation screws on either side of the bridge, believe it or not, it's actually all you need to get spot on intonation. However, it's a pain in the total ass. I use 11's, in drop D, so I had to adjust everything, (truss rod on out) once I got it home. It took a lot of trial and error, and I got real intimate with my allen wrench, screwdriver, and tuner, and I think I may have invented new cuss words, but I did finally get it perfect, and it's still perfect. I will say, though, I haven't needed to touch it since, aside from string changes, and I'm annoyingly sensitive to bad intonation.

PRS unveils entry-level SE Standard guitars | PRS SE Standard electrics | Guitar News | MusicRadar

As a lot of folks here use PRS (I do not...yet) can anyone speak to the biggest differences between the budget and deluxe models?

PRS costs a lot because it's a premium guitar. I have three American real PRS guitars and I've tried the SE models also. To me the carved top is "the look of PRS" so at least the SE models don't catch my eye that much. Tone wise I hate to say it but you get what you pay for. At least I would replace the pickups and electronics if I had an SE model.

PRS = Ferrari. PRS SE = Fiat. IMO that's a fair comparison. Both will get the job done.

To me the reason why I love PRS is simply how they feel in my hand. You feel the premium quality everywhere. You look down and it's like a hot girl... I'm not going to finish that sentence. But damn damn daaaamn the tone is beefy and growly and everything you want it to be. :) Don't get it confused with the ice hockey stick guitars like Ibanez. That's the Subaru in this comparison.

Last edited:
I got my hands on a PRS SE Dave Navarro model in the last couple of weeks. I like the feel of it. It's like a cross between the flatter jumbo fretted Soloist and an Epi Les Paul Custom.

Regarding the sound, the Epiphone blows it out of the water. However, the Epi also blows away most guitars I have including a Parker Fly Deluxe. As the sound can be sorted out with rewiring, it's not really a fair comparison. I will say that it's the best feeling guitar I have since the Soloist. It feels better than my Chapman ML1 (though not as solid and weighty), my Parker, my Epi's, and is second in feel only to my Soloist. It's also the first PRS I've played that I've liked since I tried out a PRS Studio.

Considerations are that the sound can be completely revamped by new electrics. To me, looks don't matter. I have a bright pink Ibanez that sounds great. ;)

That Navarro SE really pisses me off! I have the USA version which is essentially a proper Custom 24 in white but now that they made that cheap version people have been giving me comments like "get a real PRS". :lol

Back
Top Bottom