New 1U power amp - rival to Art SLA and Carvin?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Found a new (ish) company in the UK offering 1U (and 2U) high power power amps. The blurb on the site looked good - but the prices were really low. I thought maybe they were a budget make.

However, given all their componants are designed and made by the company, the amps are assembled in their own factory, and available only direct (saving distributor and shop costs, no import charges for UK, now $/Euro exchange problems) I thought Id contact them.

The guys are really nice. The amps are due release Dec/Jan. the initial ones will be the lower powered ones, and will not be bridgable. Later ones will be higher power, then will offer a bridge switch.

In trials, they have had some excellent feedback, but have been asked to make the response less linear !!! Apparently the amp is built to be linear from 5 hz to 120 Khz. This was causing problems for DJs because there horn speakers couldnt handle the accutrate reproduction at such high freqs. the amp will have a "less accurate" switch to give a 20 hz to 20 KHz flat response. Leave it out for true linearity. Those wanting studio/monitoring amps or Hi-Fi amps have been seriously impressed. They have been compared favourably with Haffler amps and Lab Gruppen among other top brands.

Given they come in 150W per side, 300W per side, 600W per side (first ones) then later 1200W per side - all into 4 ohms, they could be ideal for Axe users staying with amp/cabs. Prices start at LOW, with the 300W per side model comming in at £180 ish and teh 600W per side at £230. They are priced well against the other usual susspects and offer better quality sound and build.

The amps will drive loads from 2 Ohms to 16 Ohms, but I have no idea at present (forgot to ask) what happens to the Output at 8 and 16 Ohms. Sometimes when quoted, 4 Ohms and 16 are the same O/P with 8 Ohms being higher. Sometimes 4 Ohms are the highest with the o/p dropping by roughly 1/3 for evey doubleing of load.

so, it may be:

1. 300W into 4 Ohms, 450W into 8 Ohms, 300W into 16 Ohms

or

2. 300W into 4 Ohms, 200W into 8 Ohms, 120W into 16 Ohms.

Given that there are some high power amps available though I dont suppose it will make a difference - just get the one that is right for your cab.

Also, I/Ps are bothjack or XLR, O/P is Speakon only. Apparently (in the EU at least) amps are no longer allowed to be built with either jack outs, or binding posts that will take banana plugs. Apparently its due the the size being the same as a Euro power plug and is safety driven.

Anyway - Ill be trying one as a replacement for my Art SLA-1 (which has developed a noisy fan). Once I have it (post Xmas) Ill let people know how it compares.

For those interested, heres a link to a limited website:

http://www.proaudio.ltd.uk/1U%20Amplifiers.html

paulmapp8306 said:
Found a new (ish) company in the UK offering 1U (and 2U) high power power amps. The blurb on the site looked good - but the prices were really low. I thought maybe they were a budget make.

However, given all their componants are designed and made by the company, the amps are assembled in their own factory, and available only direct (saving distributor and shop costs, no import charges for UK, now $/Euro exchange problems) I thought Id contact them.

The guys are really nice. The amps are due release Dec/Jan. the initial ones will be the lower powered ones, and will not be bridgable. Later ones will be higher power, then will offer a bridge switch.

In trials, they have had some excellent feedback, but have been asked to make the response less linear !!! Apparently the amp is built to be linear from 5 hz to 120 Khz. This was causing problems for DJs because there horn speakers couldnt handle the accutrate reproduction at such high freqs. the amp will have a "less accurate" switch to give a 20 hz to 20 KHz flat response. Leave it out for true linearity. Those wanting studio/monitoring amps or Hi-Fi amps have been seriously impressed. They have been compared favourably with Haffler amps and Lab Gruppen among other top brands.

Given they come in 150W per side, 300W per side, 600W per side (first ones) then later 1200W per side - all into 4 ohms, they could be ideal for Axe users staying with amp/cabs. Prices start at LOW, with the 300W per side model comming in at £180 ish and teh 600W per side at £230. They are priced well against the other usual susspects and offer better quality sound and build.

The amps will drive loads from 2 Ohms to 16 Ohms, but I have no idea at present (forgot to ask) what happens to the Output at 8 and 16 Ohms. Sometimes when quoted, 4 Ohms and 16 are the same O/P with 8 Ohms being higher. Sometimes 4 Ohms are the highest with the o/p dropping by roughly 1/3 for evey doubleing of load.

so, it may be:

1. 300W into 4 Ohms, 450W into 8 Ohms, 300W into 16 Ohms

or

2. 300W into 4 Ohms, 200W into 8 Ohms, 120W into 16 Ohms.

Given that there are some high power amps available though I dont suppose it will make a difference - just get the one that is right for your cab.

Also, I/Ps are bothjack or XLR, O/P is Speakon only. Apparently (in the EU at least) amps are no longer allowed to be built with either jack outs, or binding posts that will take banana plugs. Apparently its due the the size being the same as a Euro power plug and is safety driven.

Anyway - Ill be trying one as a replacement for my Art SLA-1 (which has developed a noisy fan). Once I have it (post Xmas) Ill let people know how it compares.

For those interested, heres a link to a limited website:

http://www.proaudio.ltd.uk/1U%20Amplifiers.html

Way cool... though I wish they would offer it in different colors (Black) I don't care for the (Red) draws too much attention, If they are comparing with Haffler and Lab Gruppen thats saying a lot. It will be interesting to see if that statment holds true, looking foward to your review.

Im a Tech by trade, so we got talking electricary.

One reason for the low price is that they dont buy any componants. They make all their own - right down to the MosFets. Apparently their one of only 3 comapnies left making all their own componants. They supply some componants, and modules to other well known makes and have only recently decided to make full blown power amps themselves.

It all makes sense to me. With no componants to buy (so no shipping, no importing and no relying on exchange rates) and selling direct (as I stated earlier - no dealer or distrubutors to sustain) a price of £240 from then equates to somewhere around £600 to £800 (depending where the other make comes from) from a known make with all the markups involved. This puts it in Lap Gruppen and Haffler price territory (though still favouably).

Im really looking forward to trying them. The have invited me to come and play with the prototypes - but unfortunately im in Northern Ireland not UK Mainland so thats not possible at present. I feel that even if their not quite up to the makes mentioned, there still going to be better than Art and Carvin amps - and at a better price. Even EU and US customers should get a great price given the £ value at present.

The "link" on their page for complete specs is not a link. I emailed them 3 days ago asking for additional specs and if they sell into the US. No response so far. I love the idea of a single rack space unit that's powerful enough to keep up with my band. I hope they respond eventually :roll:

angello120 said:
Check out www. chevin-research power amps, ultra' light and powerful , highly rated amps.They have a U.S. agent.

Nice looking amp but their single space amps arn't very impressive power wise :roll:

The quality is exceptional, I saw a duo with a Quad' chevin in a rack-case, using half for P.A.
and the other two amps for instruments and f/back running 2.6k total power with other units in the case, I lifted it ,as challenged and it weighed next to nothing :) Sound was stunningly good
for Dsp. amps or any other come to that.

InsideOut said:
The "link" on their page for complete specs is not a link. I emailed them 3 days ago asking for additional specs and if they sell into the US. No response so far. I love the idea of a single rack space unit that's powerful enough to keep up with my band. I hope they respond eventually :roll:

I noticed that of their links worked. Its a very new site. When I rang tham they were a little surprised. Its so new and still under development.

They wont have a US distrubtor, though they may be able to ship there.

I rang as they are a UK company and none of their links worked. After talking for an hour so so Im really looking forward to their gear.

If its worth anything, the main designer - and the guy I talked to - left Carlsboro to set up the company after getting frustrated with that company. Hes also had a lot to do with Geoff at Matamp (who we both know fairly well !!). This pedigree seems pretty good to me, as did their take on amp design and tech specs of their componants.

Looking forward to getting one. wont be till Jan though. My Art SLA is still good, and with XMas, Car repairs and vet bill this month/next month it will have to wait.

Its also new Cab month in Dec. Zilla are building me an oversized 2x12. 3 pannel back for open, 3/4 or closed options. Ported for extra bass in closed (and to some extent 3/4) mode. Its comming loaded with one V30 and One Classic lead 80 (Celestions suggestion - better than a G12/V30 mix for general use. The G12/V30 isnt so good for clean types ie clean, SRV, Floyd stuff). Dont kow the colour yet. Its between Snakeskin or Green on Black.

Anyway - back to the Amps. they are doing 5 models available in 2U or 1U designed (different cooling arangements mainly).

They are quoted driving 4 Ohm loads but will handle 8 and 16 loads no problems. the specs for other loads are (model number, Watts per challell in to 4 Ohms, Into 8 Ohms, into 16 Ohms):

1. PA-300-1 - 150W/100W/60W
2. PA-600-1 - 300W/200W/120W
3. PA-1200-1 - 600W/400W/240W
4. PA-2000-1 - 1000W/600W/400W
5. PA-3200-2 - 1600W/1000W/600W

The 2U models are the same specs. Model numbers are the same but the last number is a 2 not 1.

Im looking at the 1200. My 8 ohm cab will be 120W - so 400W per side is plently of headroom. The cab will also be mono/stereo. Im stereo the cab will be 60W one side and 80W the other - both 16 Ohms loads. I can run the amp in stereo at 240W per side - so again plently of headroom without being overkill.

Looking forward to trying the stereo method. I can "blend" the speakers together by panning the sounds in the axe (more left for V30, more right for CL80). Should offer a nice way to tweek the sounds.

I'm intrigued. I have a $100 off coupon at Amazon & was gonna pull the trigger on a SLA-1 for $280. I need shrinkage in my case . . . back ain't too happy.

Back
Top Bottom