New 18.00 Public Beta

I have to agree with one thing in particular: with every firmware update the modeling is getting more and more real and with such radical changes to a given amp model's tone throughout the firmwares this is a little confusing. We tend to say for years that the Axe amp modeling is spot on - many people agreed with it, tried it next to the real thing and swore that it's just the same, etc. and now FW18 is even more realistic. So what's the truth, then?

One problem here is that there are so many lay people arguing this topic who have no idea what it even means to measure the accuracy of a system like this or the subtleties involved in modeling a specific circuit much less providing a general framework for it.

As a result, people seem to think there is some underlying "it is accurate" origin point that all the other models flow. This is a terrible assumption and generally all further discussion goes off the rails because there is this binary it is either 100% accurate 100% of the time for 100% of the inputs for 100% of the modeled characteristics (remember we are modeling more than one thing non-linear distortion effects, frequency response, transient response, etc) or it is "not accurate" sort of view.

In fact, the framework and modeling may be accurate to the point of no meaningful differences with respect to certain circuit configurations or behaviors/characteristics and partially or noticeably off in other respects/effects/configurations at any time during the system's evolution. Addressing these inaccuracies in no way diminishes the existing accuracies, yet people seem to think it somehow does.

Some models, setting configurations, or listener preferences might be wholly covered by these essentially fully realized operating points in the current system; whereas others will benefit noticeably from incoming changes.

In some cases the measurement device (for the end user, my ears and fingers) will not be able to discern any difference because even though it HAS improved from a circuit behavior accuracy perspective from the way I dial, listen, and play, nothing big has happened. Witness the V18 (game changer or meh posts).

The only way to know FOR SURE is to measure things in a non-objective electrical sense. And this may not always be an easy thing to do. But, that's WHAT CLIFF DOES. That's why I dig his design process and like rolling with these changes and feel this unit is really like owning a zillion great amps but still look forward to it being improved. I have faith in this process. That's why generic distortion simulations and filter stages with feedback loops are not what I'm looking for in a modeler. So, when I have to redial, I believe what I am getting is more accurate and worth the effort. In some cases it is subtle or a no-op other times it feels like a leap.

Most people do not get this. I have worked in circuit simulation in some capacity or another for 20+ years so it is easy to accept the 'it is accurate AND ALSO will continue to improve and in some cases you may or may not need/notice that improvement' thing. If you are looking for a system that has 200+ totally indistinguishable dead bang across every single operating point under all listening conditions for all players amp models, I think you might need to have your OCD checked or start saving because all those amps are going to cost a ton.

Last edited:
Years ago I think we did a lot of "my Axe-FxII sounds like a real tube amp", etc. but I think we are getting away from that. The unit always sounded awesome to me but was missing some of the "feel". I got the first LINE 6 POD that came out in the 90s and loved how it sounded. After awhile I still liked the way it sounded but missed certain tones and noises that happen when you really dig your fingers into the strings and play a note. The AxeFX-II has more of that feel and now it seems to have the extra noises that are part of the overall sound. I think we are done with the whole "more real" conversations we had in the past. We have a great template now and I find myself getting away from my "go to" amps and trying new ones just because they sound so great.

You can't miss what you don't know about. We loved the tones before but now it is like an extra layer or more "3D" tone is there.

The other thing that is happening for me with this update is, there are a bunch of amps that I just never bonded with - until now. It was never an issue worth even thinking about because there were so many great sounding amps in the box. But I have gone through at least 150 of the amps after updating to 18, and I have yet to hit one that doesn't sound absolutely great. I notice so much more distinction of character. A perfect example is the Princeton sim. Before i would dial it up and give it an appropriate cab and ask myself, really? People play this thing? But now, I'm like yeah! Now I understand. Can't possibly put my thanks to Cliff and team into words.

OK, so Cab Lab and Axe Edit updates have both been released on the website (thanks Chris) but no full release of FW 18 yet...

What do?

OK, so Cab Lab and Axe Edit updates have both been released on the website (thanks Chris) but no full release of FW 18 yet...

What do?

That's interesting. I didn't notice that before. Is 18 going gold soon? If so, does that mean the final handful of amps, like Petrucci's IIc+, have been G3'd or will they be rolled into a follow on update (18.1 or the like)?

That's interesting. I didn't notice that before. Is 18 going gold soon? If so, does that mean the final handful of amps, like Petrucci's IIc+, have been G3'd or will they be rolled into a follow on update (18.1 or the like)?

I wouldn't mind if Cliff waits with the release until most of the 'missing' amps have been added, even if it takes another week or so.

Cliff recently stated that 18 final should be available this weekend. It will not have every Amp g3'd, but more than the 2nd Public Beta has.

FAS wanted to ship the new XL+ units released last week with FW18, so they just created a final version and will update like usual later.

I wrote about this on my site. Follow me on Facebook or Twitter for news like this.

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/03/firmware-18-release-imminent-already-released-on-new-xl/

Cliff posted this Sunday in the FW 18 News thread :

(I was hoping to have a release today but a couple of these amps took longer than planned. Maybe tomorrow but probably not. Tuesday and Wednesday we are going to the studio to shoot IRs so probably not either of those days. So I'd say maybe Thursday or Friday. )

I just updated to FW 18 Beta and man I love what Cliff did to the amps!!!!! Been tough the past several weeks watching all you guys enjoy the new firmware, but it has always been nice to hear your experiences with it.

Cliff posted this Sunday in the FW 18 News thread :

(I was hoping to have a release today but a couple of these amps took longer than planned. Maybe tomorrow but probably not. Tuesday and Wednesday we are going to the studio to shoot IRs so probably not either of those days. So I'd say maybe Thursday or Friday. )

Darn ... and I have a 5:30pm flight to Utah for some spring skiing on Thursday ;)

I have to agree with one thing in particular: with every firmware update the modeling is getting more and more real and with such radical changes to a given amp model's tone throughout the firmwares this is a little confusing. We tend to say for years that the Axe amp modeling is spot on - many people agreed with it, tried it next to the real thing and swore that it's just the same, etc. and now FW18 is even more realistic. So what's the truth, then? At which point is the level of realism is really the same, will it ever be 100% accurate? And were we right to say that FW17's (and G2) amp models are 100% accurate when amps have been G3'd now and even beyond?
These are questions that would be nice to see answered but one thing's for sure: I for one don't really care if the amp model sounds 100% like the real amp it's been modeled after, I care more about useable tones and hearing what I like to hear. And even with FW17, a Plexi sounds like you'd expect a Plexi to sound like, a Mark IV sounds like you'd expect a Mark IV to sound like, and so on.
One more thing: I feel like IRs matter even more now than they did before, and with UltraRes everything sounds very open and "sterile" in a good way, tones cut through the mix and it's just amazing. Cab Pack 7 and 8 FTW!

People have been saying modeling is the same as a real amp since POD 1.0. Pete Anderson who has pretty decent ears still uses them and swears they are the same. IMHO what has happened over the years as modelers progress is the "sweet spot" widening. I have no doubt pete gets the clone of his vintage deluxe out of his PODs, but maybe someone else that dials their deluxe differently didn't.

Same with the Axe FX. Each new model, or major FW widens the sweet spot making any given amp more usable to more people.

As far as realism and recording real amps vs the Axe Fx it has been there (or better/easier) for some time and the improvements are subtle when listening to recordings. The realism/connection from Axe to the player (in the room or whatever) has increased dramatically beyond what I thought a processor could do, and I think those two things are what gets everyone confused or scoffed at the most.

Listen to a recording and everyone's like uuuhhh yeah I think I can hear it?

Pick up a guitar and hit a note and it blows your balls off.

Two completely different experiences that everyone sees as the same thing. IMHO

People have been saying modeling is the same as a real amp since POD 1.0. Pete Anderson who has pretty decent ears still uses them and swears they are the same. IMHO what has happened over the years as modelers progress is the "sweet spot" widening. I have no doubt pete gets the clone of his vintage deluxe out of his PODs, but maybe someone else that dials their deluxe differently didn't.
Cliff made a relevant point a while back: if you get the EQ right, most people will hear no difference, and getting the EQ right is almost trivial with tone matching. But getting the subtleties of an amp's distortion right—that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

The more you play—and critically listen to—different amps, the more refined your ear for distortion becomes (how it performs on the attack, how it changes as it rings out, how it changes with changes in gain structure, etc.). That's what sets a good modeler apart. And it has a big effect on feel.

Cliff made a relevant point a while back: if you get the EQ right, most people will hear no difference, and getting the EQ right is almost trivial with tone matching. But getting the subtleties of an amp's distortion right—that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

The more you play—and critically listen to—different amps, the more refined your ear for distortion becomes (how it performs on the attack, how it changes as it rings out, how it changes with changes in gain structure, etc.). That's what sets a good modeler apart. And it has a big effect on feel.

This is absolutely true. I have never used a modeler that has been better than the Axe in terms of 'feel'. I have much better (here, the adjective 'better' only means 'easier to sit in a mix', nothing more) recordings than the ones I got with the axe, which are taken with a digitech rp150. i loved that device, but what I remember is that the 'feel' was like shit! Because of that, I sold it and bought a custom tube amp (feel was awesome, recordings were good, but there was something wrong with the voicing of that amp which made the player feel that he/she has forgotten a wah pedal on all the time), then a Pod hd (I'd prefer the digitech rp's any day and that was the worst purchase of mine), then a second custom amp (this was among the best proably), then a Mini Recto(the second custom amp would beat the recto easily), and finally the Axe (surprise! I was a Recto guy, but I liked the Mark series much better). And what I know is, that an axe fx 2 with fw18 installed has everything that sets a good modeler apart! :) In addition to this, while I couldn't get some good tones easily even if I enjoyed playing along with the firmwares 11 to 17, with 18, I obtained both, and beat all my previous tones and feels, while using the OH TV Cab/Evdh speaker...

Whatever, forgive my English if necessary, but I'm really happy with my gear for the first time, and my magic triple is the prs custom 24 with bare knuckle nailbombs -> axe2 fw18 (mesa mark iv sim) -> focal alpha 65 monitors (which replaced the shitty bx5a couple, which are undoubtably shitty). there's definitely something going on with my current gear :)

Now I have to listen to many amps, really....

I always thought that Cliffs comment about manufacturers selling us EQ was a bit tongue-in-cheek given his position (but most likely true)

Actually in my tests the KPA is not as accurate as the Axe-Fx. The KPA gets the frequency response very close but the texture of the distortion, dynamics and other things are not nearly as close as the Axe-Fx. In comparing the devices I noticed the KPA had a sameness to all the profiles. It sounds like the same underlying amp model with different eq on top. Axe-Fx is not like this, all amp models are unique. I dig further and notice that tube shape on all KPA profiles is the same. Always 3.3. This can not be. The distortion shape is not the same for every amp because it depends on surrounding circuitry and things like negative feedback and transformer ratio.

I like and use the KPA but use my Axe-Fx more especially now with 18.0 firmware. The Axe-Fx is much more realistic to me especially in distortion texture and dynamic. Also Axe-Fx knobs work just like real amps. I have compared my JVM410 and JCM800 to Axe-Fx models and knobs work exactly like the amps. KPA knobs don't work anything like the real amp and if you adjust them much beyond then profiles sound strange.
Just curious, have you also noticed some sort of post-amp compression, mostly emphasizing the sustain of the mediums ?

Back
Top Bottom