New 18.00 Public Beta

Try reloading the firmware. "Very dark" is far from the typical response to 18. :)

Is there a expected date to the release of the FW18 (no beta) and Axe Edit Updated? I'm asking because I can't update the stable firmware to a beta before the upcoming gigs but I can't wait to use FW 18 :eek::cry

Goddammit! Cliff needs to name these kinds of threads better. I still shit my pants every time log in and see "New public 18.00 Beta"... ;)

Just revisited the Morgan and Champ models with my Tele.

Holy. Freaking. Crap.

All that digital politeness in the highs is gone. Our singer's Vox ac15HW also moved more air than my setup before. No longer. Through my cabs, this sounds, reacts and feels like the real thing. Much more so than with irs through studio monitors. I was already very happy with 17, with tiny reservations about aforementioned high and lows I could live with, but those are gone.

And the way the amps react to fx has also dramatically changed: when I pushed the input of the amp models with a lot of volume before, things got too bright, spikey even. Now, the Tube Screamer and Fuzz Bender through the models I've mentioned before is all warm, creamy, dynamic tone. Very good at moderate volume, and fantastic at high.

I'll say it again: best investment in guitar gear I have made. And I have made plenty :D

Jan

I played out with 18b7 this weekend. I had taken the time to tweak my main 4-6 presets (mostly switched out to similar amps that had been 3'd) and adjust bass mid treble. Best sound I've had ever from any rig. The feel is amazing and a very nice interaction between player and amp. I can hardly wait for the final version :)

Automica High is much improved. It's my high gain favorite of the moment.

But there seems to be something odd with the lowcut? It defaults to 10hz but it sounds like it's way higher. If you engage the "cut" feature it almost has no effect. Im not sure if it's a bug? CN someone else confirm?

But there seems to be something odd with the lowcut? It defaults to 10hz but it sounds like it's way higher. If you engage the "cut" feature it almost has no effect. Im not sure if it's a bug? CN someone else confirm?

Engaging "Cut" on the Atomica High is clearly audible here.
Note that this model nows defaults to 50% Depth, previously it was 0% IIRC.

In the design of some amps the lowcut frequency is dependent upon the Drive setting. In these cases the Lowcut parameter defaults to 10 Hz and the actual lowcut filtering is calculated as part of the Drive knob function.

I'm really enjoying what's changed so far with the feel of FW18. In particular something about the low and high end that just sound more "natural" if that makes any sense. The thing that really struck me was how easy it was to get a amazing sound just dialing from scratch with an amp, a cab and some room reverb. I can't stop smiling.

Can't wait for the bass amps to be finished so I can start dialing in some new tones for that as well! :D

Last edited:
In the design of some amps the lowcut frequency is dependent upon the Drive setting. In these cases the Lowcut parameter defaults to 10 Hz and the actual lowcut filtering is calculated as part of the Drive knob function.

Oh, that's an awesome concept! Thanks cliff, that probably makes sense why the lowcut wasn't doing much

Just another question about the new Recto models. Are they still based on the tube rectifier setting? If so, you could get close to the silicon diode rectifier by reducing the sag parameter to about 2.00.
Now as the default value of sag had changed what would be a good approximation for the diode rectifier setting?

Disclaimer: Yeah, i know, i should use what sounds best to. but sometimes it's just fun trying to as close to the "real thing" as possible

I'm just quoting myself as I'm still interested in an educated answer to it (if there is an answer)

I've also noticed that the CAE model now defaults to EL34 power tubes. So I guess Cliff changed those or in other words remodeled the poweramp section of the model, right?

I've also noticed that the CAE model now defaults to EL34 power tubes. So I guess Cliff changed those or in other words remodeled the poweramp section of the model, right?

I think that Cliff spoke to this ? That model's power amp section was changed a long time ago. I've got copies of ALL the release notes and I didn't find a notation about it. So, it is something that after it was changed, it might not have been documented in the release notes ....

Nope. Even with my strat which has pretty weak pickups I can easily overdrive it into gnarly goodness.

Bummer. I've heard that the Bassman could go to ten and not break up, it just got LOUD, though slightly compressed and sweeter sounding, and I was hoping to use this.

Last edited:
Bummer. I've heard that the Bassman could go to ten and not break up, it just got LOUD, though slightly compressed and sweeter sounding, and I was hoping to use this.

In that case what you need is a Fender Twin? It is (if memory serves me) the Fender amp that took dynamite to get it into breakup at outrageous volumes, while the Bassman was easier to breakup.

you're thinking of a twin or dual showman maybe? The bassman is the basis for early Marshall amps. Spikey beat me to it

In that case what you need is a Fender Twin? It is (if memory serves me) the Fender amp that took dynamite to get it into breakup at outrageous volumes, while the Bassman was easier to breakup.

Possibly. I'll try that one. Thanks.

This.
A Twin *will* break up like any amp would, but few are insane (or deaf) enough to try.

Back
Top Bottom