New 18.00 Public Beta

I apologize, just Funning. No harm in asking Cliff. I just wonder if it bothers him. Probably not. Again, I apologize. The video is funny right?
I have to wonder if at this point being asked about KPA vs FAS isn't more like an opportunity for a victory lap for Cliff.

All I have to say is Kemper is on 3.0 Firmware and were like on 18+ and cliff has done many updates in between those numbers. I don't know about you, but I prefer having more updates not less!!!!

All I have to say is Kemper is on 3.0 Firmware and were like on 18+ and cliff has done many updates in between those numbers. I don't know about you, but I prefer having more updates not less!!!!

I hear what you are saying but to be fair, the Kemper has not been out as long as the Axe II. I would like to try one just out of curiosity but have been very happy with the Axe. It would seriously need to blow me away to make a switch. (or even add it to what I have now).

To keep on topic, v18 beta is sounding & feeling great here. Looking forward to the final version!

were like on 18+ and cliff has done many updates in between those numbers.

many axe-haters look at that as a failure though, like "see how often he has to update it to make it work right?"

but that's obviously an ill-informed statement. he's not fixing things. he's improving things all the time. anything can always get better and cliff always strives to make it better. i posted a recording today from my Ultra back in 2008, maybe like FW 6 or something? still sounds great. i realize i posted that in the wrong sub-forum (Axe II recordings), but i wonder if those who heard and liked it assumed it was Beta 18 or something. I personally would have been fine if he stopped even back then on that Ultra firmware and never released the II!

the fact that he keeps improving things STILL boggles my mind since it already sounds and feels amazing. yet it does. the way he works, we'll be at FW30 and no one will even mention any other companies anymore :)

I didn't do anything to it yet. It's not a G3 model. But every model, G3'd or not, benefits from the new algorithms. That model was pretty accurate to begin with so it probably won't change much when it does get G3'd.

Cliff I had asked this before but can you elaborate on the Deep circuit will it be a new parameter "active depth" on those models like Bogner ,Engl ,Deizel or baked into the models

many axe-haters look at that as a failure though, like "see how often he has to update it to make it work right?"

Since Microsoft made the world accept that unfinished software can be retailed and sold, everything's gone to hell and is full of bugs.
Being said that, the Axe is SO bug-free that it's ridiculous. There are barely a handful of issues coming up with new firmwares and they're working very fast on fixing them. And most of the time even the problems are just minor issues and nothing really serious. Axe-haters suck anyways :)

I hear what you are saying but to be fair, the Kemper has not been out as long as the Axe II. I would like to try one just out of curiosity but have been very happy with the Axe. It would seriously need to blow me away to make a switch. (or even add it to what I have now).

To keep on topic, v18 beta is sounding & feeling great here. Looking forward to the final version!

True, it has been out longer not sure the exact amount of time, maybe 1 year or less? I took a look at the Kemper Firmware update and I don't see any thing in that update that was like WOW I must have. Plus the thing is flat out ugly. I am sorry but even if it was as good as the Axe II or even slightly better "which it is not for what I do" I still wouldn't get it, thing looks like a 1950's toaster LOL:) God Awful, whoever designed that should think about a Carrier Change lol.

but that's obviously an ill-informed statement. he's not fixing things. he's improving things all the time. anything can always get better and cliff always strives to make it better. i posted a recording today from my Ultra back in 2008, maybe like FW 6 or something? still sounds great. i realize i posted that in the wrong sub-forum (Axe II recordings), but i wonder if those who heard and liked it assumed it was Beta 18 or something. I personally would have been fine if he stopped even back then on that Ultra firmware and never released the II!

the fact that he keeps improving things STILL boggles my mind since it already sounds and feels amazing. yet it does. the way he works, we'll be at FW30 and no one will even mention any other companies anymore :)

Yeah your correct, no matter how well things go or not, there will always be people who hate. To me, getting so many new things over the years from the Ultra to the Axe II from Cliff and his team, I can say that now I am spoiled. Very few companies, specially in the music business, go to this level of doing the right thing and going beyond what one would expect.

I just got back from band rehearsal - jaw dropping! I've never been able to bond with the Double Verb before 18b. But now. WOW. For cleans and slight crunches it is so sweet sounding. I also used the 50W and 100W Plexies, the 30WTB and the D30 (think that's the name). All great! My only miss was the Savage, and that was due to a poor IR choice for live work. By the way, the Savage now has that coarse distortion sound like a real amp (as opposed to the "fine" distortion).

Thanks again for the update Cliff and FAS!

Since Microsoft made the world accept that unfinished software can be retailed and sold, everything's gone to hell and is full of bugs.
Being said that, the Axe is SO bug-free that it's ridiculous. There are barely a handful of issues coming up with new firmwares and they're working very fast on fixing them. And most of the time even the problems are just minor issues and nothing really serious. Axe-haters suck anyways :)

SO, so true!

Ah. Good point. I suppose I've lost perspective in my Axe-spoiled world :)

I may be way off here, but I have to think Cliff is confident enough in his product to let it stand on its merits against all challengers. As someone who's put an Axe and a KPA head-to-head through the exact same playback system (a good one), I know it was good enough for me. I would be interested in Cliff's words on the matter, but we can probably guess as to what they'd be (actual digital representations of complete circuits vs essentially a tonematch feature... oh, and we do that too. Much better routing. Proven use on the road and in the studio. Etc., etc.)

This IS the FAS forum, and if Cliff & Co. don't want to spend one more minute mentioning the name of a competitor, that makes perfect sense and it's their right to do so, but going back to my earlier post in this thread, it just seems to me like he could come out definitively and say, "We're better. Here's why..."

From a marketing perspective, people gravitate towards confidence. Who chooses the product backed by the guy that says, "well, we're pretty good, and they're pretty good, and we're all pretty good. Let's be friends"?

Cliff care to weigh in on why the kemper fanboys are going nuts over the 3.0 release today?

I own both systems and though I like the kemper the Axe wins in every regard. I played around with 3.0 today and heard nothing special especially compared to Axe 18B.

Is it all just hype? I also feel you being honest doesnt hurt or help anyone so I am not looking for a flame war. I would just love to know what the biggest expert on the planet knows on the subject.

3.0 doesn't change the underlying algorithms or existing profiles. It provides better separation between the amp and cab for profiles captured using a new technique. It uses a similar "Mic + DI" technique as our new IR capture method. The problem with profiling using only a microphone is you don't know what part of the output frequency response is due to the amp and what is due to the cab. So you have to make some assumptions about the amp frequency response.

Using both a mic and a DI can give much better separation. If all you do is use a profile as-is through an FRFR cab then there is no benefit. The benefit is if you wish to switch the cabinet to a different one or turn the cabinet off and play through a regular guitar cabinet.

You know that there are companies out there with very deep pockets trying very hard to out-do "Fractal Audio" aka, Cliff Chase. The 'Tech' market is fast paced and brutal. The fact that he has fended them off this long is truly amazing.

It's not only the Killer Amp models. It's all of the other features in the Axe FX that makes it the only choice for me. Scenes, scene controllers, the effects, external and internal controllers, being able to put anything anywhere in the 'grid', the CPU horsepower, and Cliff's relentless drive to make it much more than it was when I bought it!

Cliff I had asked this before but can you elaborate on the Deep circuit will it be a new parameter "active depth" on those models like Bogner ,Engl ,Deizel or baked into the models

It's baked into the models. Every model has a default feedback circuit. In debug mode I can actually swap feedback circuits but I haven't exposed that in release mode. The feedback circuit is responsible for the behavior of the Presence and Depth controls. Certain Bogners and Diezels have a unique type of feedback circuit. There are no new parameters and nothing to do except twist the Presence and Depth knobs to your desired tone. Note that an Uberschall doesn't have a Depth knob. The default Depth value when you select the Euro Uber model is equivalent to the amp's fixed depth circuit.

Back
Top Bottom