Nevermore request

moshwitz

Inspired
Sup?

I did a search but came up pretty much empty handed, so I figured I'd ask some of the tone guru's here if someone could do a preset similar to Jeff's tone on "This Godless Endeavor".

Every time I try to build a Nevermore tone I either get something that has the chunk, but sounds to far away or muffled, or has too much sizzle, and if I try to cut the sizzle with a Peq or Filter I start getting the blanket :evil: Any help would be AWESOME :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

moshwitz said:
Every time I try to build a Nevermore tone I either get something that has the chunk, but sounds to far away or muffled, or has too much sizzle, and if I try to cut the sizzle with a Peq or Filter I start getting the blanket :evil:
I had some luck lately using quite unusual cabinet IR combinations to (almost) solve my "too muffled"-tone-problem. Currently, my favorites are dual cab setups (two parallel cabinet blocks, each in MONO HIRES-mode) using the 4x12 CALI@58 DYN and the other with a 2x12 (not 4x12, 2x12!) BOUTIQ or 2x12 BRIT @ 57/58 or RE16. I found the some of the 2x12 to be really convincing IRs that are not as muffled as the 4x12s. I still have to boost the high end to be on par with the high end of commercial recordings.

Dave,

Eventually I plan to have a go at this, but it won't be until the editor comes out of Beta. I plan on using the Guitar World DVD with Loomis doing a full DVD of lessons on it as the reference tone, since it's just Jeff playing by himself in isolation for most of the video. If you have that DVD, it might be a good place to work from, as well. Just a thought.

Regards,
Jeff

For TGE, it was two tracks of dual recto mixed with two tracks of the krank revolution, both amps were recorded using a mesa rectifier cab.

On the DVD I reference, he's using the Engl to my ears.

Later,
Jeff

Yep.. for TGE
Recto panned @ 100, Krank panned at 80

also for reference, supposedly for DHIADW the mesa settings are

DEAD HEART IN A DEAD WORLD:
Custom Built 7 String Guitar loaded with EMG 707 pickups. The guitars were routed into a Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer that was used as a signal boost. The settings on the TS-9 were:

Drive: 9 O'Clock
Tone: 10 O'Clock
Level: 12 O'Clock

This was fed into the amp that was used on all of the rhythm and leads. The amp used was a Mesa Boogie (2 Channel) Dual Rectifier that was straight from the box. The Mesa Recto was routed into a Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab with the stock 75 Celestions they have. Settings on the Mesa Recto were:

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel
Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

There were 4 tracks of rhythm, with 2 tracks being panned 100% left and right, and the other set being panned 80% left and right. There was no compression, limiting, etc…only a slight touch of EQ used. Two Shure SM-57's were used for recording, one on the center of the cone about an inch away. This was the approximate's denoted by Andy Sneap previously.

MOSHON
DAVE

Back
Top Bottom