Never get a good sound with Axe FX II

I just tried the Sweet Child patch and while it may be accurate to the track, it felt kind of stiffled. I think if you strip the patch back to just amp, cab and reverb, you will find it comes alive a lot more. As the patch is not really that high gain, the gate settings seemed a bit high for my tastes. The Ts808 was focusing the frequency range, also hindering the sound of the amp coming through.

I think the DAS METAL patch suffers from the same problem, through use of the TS808. If you want to focus the sound in similar way without losing the characteristics of the amp, then I would suggest using the 10 band graphic in front of the amp.

I am not one for copying other peoples sound in the strictest sense, but getting a good sound which works for me, so I may be completely off-track to what you are trying to achieve. This is just the way I like to construct my sounds.

I tried your Das Metall preset. IMHO there's too much going on in there.

You have 3 PEQs in there, and all 3 are boosting the mids. I disabled them, and the sound immediately had more air.

I also didn't find the Compressor to be necessary, especially with high gain, but that's subjective.

The Drive block is okay.

The Cab is stereo and one side points to user cab 15. Don't know what you've loaded in there.

Thanks a lot to all, I didn't though to have lot of answers.

I go to the guitar shop and to change the string (gauge 9-42) and to have a check up of the pick.

I make a new recording of Sweet Child O Mine (same preset) with 2 track (80% left and 80% right)

What do you think... ? sound better but seem to have some echo (tracks seem to not be really synchronize).

This sounds great to me!

Just a few things to keep in mind. You are not ever going to sound like Slash playing this song. I have never heard anyone play that riff as good as him, even the new GnR guitarists. Also, there is so much going on with a recording. If you are just listening to a mono track with no effects and no background music, of course it is going to sound uninspiring, etc. Beefing up your tracks, adding reverb, etc., is the key to a great recording and it takes time to learn that kind of stuff.

For me, I almost always use some type of boost pedal with the gain turned down and level up. That is what a lot of guitarists do with real tube amps so it is not unusual. When you add a boost, it adds definition and other things that are pleasing to the ear for metal.

i tried the das metal patch and cab block was pointing to two user cabs. if you've downloaded some of fremen's patches, you'll have to check the cab block and see if it uses user cabs. if it does, try to find out which ones and if you don't have them, try finding a suitable replacement in the factory bank.

i put in two fairly random cabs - the 5150 mix #1 and the pvh6160 mix - i had to turn up the treble on the amp to about 6.5 and the pres to 5 to get it sounding decent on scene 1. all the other scenes sound ok too with those settings. if you can find out from fremen which cabs he used in this patch, it'll probably sound really good

Just a couple thoughts:

For Sweet Child you should be able to get a pretty good sound without double tracking.

First thing I would do for that patch is change the cab. Unless you're running the same cab in the same slot as Fremen it won't sound anything like his patch. In my case I had a 1x10 Princeton cab in that slot, so it sounded fairly weak. Try Cabs F059-F061 all 4 sounded good to me with that patch.

Next, try Scene 2 instead of Scene 1. Scene 1 seems to be tonematched while Scene 2 is not.

Finally, this patch seems to be setup for an expression pedal plugged into External #1. Toe down seems to be for leads as it engages a drive pedal and adds gain while, heel down reduces gain removes the drive and adds compression. So if you have an expression pedal make sure you've got the toe down, and if not make sure the drive is turned on and the input gain on the amp is around 6.

For the Das Metall patch, again it's pointing to two user cabs, so unless you happen to have the same cabs there's a good chance it just won't sound right. Also the cab block is running in stereo, which could also make it sound poor. I would just reset the cab block and find a different cab that works better. F073 sounded great to me.

Just a couple thoughts:

For Sweet Child you should be able to get a pretty good sound without double tracking.

First thing I would do for that patch is change the cab. Unless you're running the same cab in the same slot as Fremen it won't sound anything like his patch. In my case I had a 1x10 Princeton cab in that slot, so it sounded fairly weak. Try Cabs F059-F061 all 4 sounded good to me with that patch.

Next, try Scene 2 instead of Scene 1. Scene 1 seems to be tonematched while Scene 2 is not.

Finally, this patch seems to be setup for an expression pedal plugged into External #1. Toe down seems to be for leads as it engages a drive pedal and adds gain while, heel down reduces gain removes the drive and adds compression. So if you have an expression pedal make sure you've got the toe down, and if not make sure the drive is turned on and the input gain on the amp is around 6.

For the Das Metall patch, again it's pointing to two user cabs, so unless you happen to have the same cabs there's a good chance it just won't sound right. Also the cab block is running in stereo, which could also make it sound poor. I would just reset the cab block and find a different cab that works better. F073 sounded great to me.

Thanks.

New attempt with simple track :

Played with rhythm pickup, with Scene 2.
I've choose the cab F061.

I've loaded all preset from Fremen, but lot of them are posting to User Cab... I think it"s why it sound not always good.

How could i re organize easily the User cab ?

for clean sounds, use factory cabs 4, 5 or 6, or a combination of two of them
for high gain sounds, use one of the free IRs I provided - #33 ASEM recto is the basis of my high gain IRs, on its own it's too scooped but I give it more midrange by adding other IRs to it. I didn't share the mixes using commercial IRs (mostly Ownhammer) but I shared a few which uses other free IRs. If I recall well, my user IRs 30 or 31 fell into that category and would do the job
I didn't share my go-to Marshall cabs (13 & 14) either as they are custom mixes from Redwirez, however they are from a cab available for free on the Redwirez website

Back
Top Bottom