Never felt need to adjust presets on firmware updates prior to Quantum

Jul

Inspired
Been installing firmware updates for several years running and don't recall ever needing to adjust seetings for factory presets until now. ..Majority of factory presets were "hot"
right of the gate this time around - with overwhelming output ( even with guitar volume knob at 1)... this along with frequent red output 1 clip light showing on the AxeFXII.
Any one else notice anything similar? My resolution action has been to go to the amp settings page and adjust the output control downward.

Thanks for any comments which may address this.

Haven't noticed any here, they seem about the same as FW 19. Possibly power amp or cab modeling got turned off? Maybe check global settings or do a reset to make sure.

Updating to FW 18 (new factory presets were released for that FW) got me quite a few amp clipping factory presets but all ok since then

Thanks for the heads up on what to start looking ....I just now went to the Global settings and Amp modeling indicator was "On" .... so that item doesn't appear to be the issue.
I'll keep playing nonetheless.

Thanks for the heads up on what to start looking ....I just now went to the Global settings and Amp modeling indicator was "On" .... so that item doesn't appear to be the issue.
I'll keep playing nonetheless.

Try turning it off and on again.

I finally installed quantum last night and the only thing I noticed was that I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. The hyperbole surrounding this firmware wasn't an exaggeration.

Reactions: RDH
I had a similar issue. I always do a system reset after updates but forgot to adjust my global settings afterwards because I must have been too excited to try out the new Quantum firmware. I always lower my Global Amp Gain to -12. I use FRFR, so I always lower the Global EQ's lowest and highest frequencies all the way down to avoid unneeded low end and high frequency feedback. I also lower the Global EQ's gain by -12.

With these settings I'm able to get the dynamics I need going in and out of my Axe-Fx II without any worries of clipping.

I had a similar issue. I always do a system reset after updates but forgot to adjust my global settings afterwards because I must have been too excited to try out the new Quantum firmware. I always lower my Global Amp Gain to -12. I use FRFR, so I always lower the Global EQ's lowest and highest frequencies all the way down to avoid unneeded low end and high frequency feedback. I also lower the Global EQ's gain by -12.

With these settings I'm able to get the dynamics I need going in and out of my Axe-Fx II without any worries of clipping.

No offense but the things you are doing don't make any sense.

No offense but the things you are doing don't make any sense.

No offense taken but what doesn't make sense? Am I doing something incorrect?

I had those settings before I upgraded to Quantum and then did a System Reset and forgot to put the settings back, so most of the presets sounded too distorted and some of them were clipping the output. I put the settings back and now everything is back to normal and sounds great. I forgot to mention that I set the Instrument Input to tickle the red when using my hottest pickups, so I don't have to adjust it when changing Guitars or Basses.

A while back I was having issues getting clean sounds and dynamics, so instead of changing tons of presets, I lowered the Global Amp Gain. Then with one of the firmware updates some presets started clipping the output, so instead of changing individual presets, I lowered the Global EQ Gain a little more than needed to stop the clipping and so I could have extra headroom for presets I may want to boost. When I switched from a traditional cab to FRFR, I kept getting a real high pitch squeal when trying to get controlled feedback, so I lowered the highest frequency all the way down in the Global EQ and that resolved it without affecting my tone. I lower the lowest frequency all the way down in the Global EQ just for personal preference to protect my speakers.

Last edited:
... so instead of changing individual presets, I lowered the Global EQ Gain a little more than needed to stop the clipping and so I could have extra headroom for presets I may want to boost.

May I infer from this that you don't adjust the AMP block levels in the individual patches you create? If you did, this is where all this dynamics/clipping business can be dealt with. Indeed, I believe this is the recommended and most common procedure.

If you do leave the AMP blocks at default level, I can't imagine you get good consistent results from model-to-model. (And a -24db hit must be paid for down the line by raising the level of an amp or fader or something, which raises your noise floor.)

If you don't leave the AMP blocks at default levels - just take care of these issues there.

I guess I'm having the same issue as the OP then because if I reset the System Settings to the defaults and only adjust the instrument input so it tickles the red, I get way too much gain and most presets clip the output.

If I turn things down like I described above, then everything sounds good and I can get good dynamics that respond to my picking dynamics. I've never noticed excessive noise and it's always been at least 75% quieter then any high gain tube amp I've tried. I use a pair of FRFR Yamaha DXR12 active cabs and can get plenty loud. I can compete with my old TriAxis and 290 loudness wise.

I haven't ever really needed to tweak with FW updates.. but with Quantum I am getting the red clipping like at about 5-6, when it's not even coming close to the clipping zone. I don't hear it.. but the light flickers nonetheless. I used to like my presets to hit right at like 2-5 area.. but i've been dropping them all down to max out at about 0 in the VU

Back
Top Bottom