Never bought a cab pack. Kind of want to.

mwd

Power User
Any recommendations for a pack to start with for my XL. I'm into clean stuff with an occasional searing lead.

It's a rabbit hole. IMO Find stock ones you like then buy a cab pack that has that speaker, or Own hammer sells individual speakers.

The worst part is, everytime a new cab pack is put out its always marketed as "better than all previous." The only way to know is to hear it, and the only way to hear it is to buy it.

The factory IRs are pretty good for cleans IMO. For leads try to think as you would in real life: what speakers/cabs would you buy for the amp(s) you use? CK Cab Pack 7 is a Recto V30, Cab Pack 8 is a 1960TV with Greenbacks, Cab Pack 9 is a Bogner cab with V30s if I'm correct. I have 7 and 8 and love them both for different uses or mix them together for a really big tone.

Look for/listen to sound clips here on the forum with as close to the Axe chain(s) you have: guitar/amp sim/speaker. If the factory IR's don't quite do it for you, the individual speaker/cab library that OwnHammer offers is a great place to start at only 5 bucks a pop... but beware,(as mentioned above) it can be a never-ending rabbit hole if you let it. :D

Depends on what you are looking for. A wide collection? Some unique stuff? Ready to use? Kind of raw so that you can mix them?

To be really honest anything that is based in the UltraRes style (meaning longer than 170ms) is going to be good IMHO.

If you want to just see if it's for you the best entry price point is Ownhammer.....but you have to own CabLab to convert them to UltraRes.

Contact Kevin at OwnHammer for his recommendations. I'm pretty much into classic rock, mid-gain stuff. His advice was spot-on.

the cabs in the axe fx are actually pretty awesome but ck cab packs and OH are great. Now there are UR cabs in the axe so try those too. there are a couple of clarks cabs in there are other awesome cabs. the UR recto cab is awesome .

Any recommendations for a pack to start with for my XL. I'm into clean stuff with an occasional searing lead.

That's quite an open question. I think guitar cabs are one of the most underrated part in the guitar signal chain. Guitarists talk about different amps all the time but to be honest the cabinet is just as important if not even more important in shaping your tone.

If you're into British amps then I would recommend Cab Pack 8. The TV cab is simply one of the most beautiful and balanced cab out there. If you're more of a modern american type guitarist then I would suggest Cab Pack 7 if you want a fat sound and Cab Pack 9 if you want a cutting sound.

There's nothing wrong with going for those bundle Cab Packs either if you want a wider spread of different sounds. It's just that the quality of IRs is getting better and better all the time just like amp modeling. It's an evolution of a kind. All of my Cab Packs are power amp color free. Also the newest Cab Pack from FAS that's coming shortly is power amp color free. That combined with UltraRes is the highest quality of IRs at this moment. Obviously that's just a fidelity thing. Still mic position is 90% of the sound and that's what separates IR producers from each other.

If you need help justifying your purchase then think of it more as a donation to FAS for all the free updates they're giving away all the time. :)

Thanks folks. Honestly I can't even do justice to what I've been provided in the stock cabs...lol. But I mainly want to learn that element of the Fractal and 3rd party cabs. I hear so much good stuff about them.

Got Cab Pack 8. Care for a mini tutorial? I opened CK Brit TV All and had 4 folders. E906/MD421/R121/SM57. I drag and dropped all the sysx files into the cab section of editor. Still have Ace & Alloy folders with a ton of selections. Seems like a lot of slots to be filled and this is one Cab Pack. Is this typically how it's done?

I am in the same boat on thinking of buying a cab pack but I dont wanna go dropping money down that rabbit hole. After having our second child money is much tighter. $25 isnt so bad but $25 + $25 then $70 or so here and $15 on OH etc can get A lil pricey. So, what I'm looking for is a great IR for pretty much 85-90% of my uses. As is I use the same IR for all of my live presets because if I were mic'd it would all be the same cab.

Clark posted a 7/8/9 clip about a month ago, I remember thinking that cab 9 seemed to have more depth/dimensionality to it. I am leaning towards that one but not sure. FWIW I my original music is modern and I would normally say "give me that most ferocious and low thumping IR/cab you got" but since getting the Axe and getting more serious in my home studio I have learned that great guitars in the mix are very often not what we'd think they'd be or what we want to hear solo'd.

I am in the same boat on thinking of buying a cab pack but I dont wanna go dropping money down that rabbit hole. After having our second child money is much tighter. $25 isnt so bad but $25 + $25 then $70 or so here and $15 on OH etc can get A lil pricey. So, what I'm looking for is a great IR for pretty much 85-90% of my uses. As is I use the same IR for all of my live presets because if I were mic'd it would all be the same cab.

Clark posted a 7/8/9 clip about a month ago, I remember thinking that cab 9 seemed to have more depth/dimensionality to it. I am leaning towards that one but not sure. FWIW I my original music is modern and I would normally say "give me that most ferocious and low thumping IR/cab you got" but since getting the Axe and getting more serious in my home studio I have learned that great guitars in the mix are very often not what we'd think they'd be or what we want to hear solo'd.

It's really hard to say which of these is the best one for you. Cab Pack 7 has the most low end out of these. Cab Pack 8 is more transparent (meaning that it works with all amps really well) and cutting. Cab Pack 9 has a sound of it's own and is also cutting. Based on that low end thing I would probably say that 7 is the safe bet. The quote from Cliff in my signature was for Cab Pack 7.

Looking at getting Cab pack 8 . Like the Purple Haze Demo. Cant quite see the settings . Grateful for settings or preset if poss ? FX2

I've had an enormous amount of fun with the “Cabs in the Attic” pack – Cab Pack 6.

Cliff was kind enough to give us a free teaser from this pack – an amazing 4x12 Vox Beatle. You can still download it at the link below.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/91755-another-ir-present-you.html

I can't presume to speak for your needs, but I've had a lot of fun with the wide variety of cabs it contains; it's still the only pack I've bought though, so I can't say anything about the others. But frankly, I don't see how you can go wrong, no matter what you do!

So is it typical to load every .syx and just start cruising thru them or is there a method where people sample them in the folder and load the ones you want?

I'm thinking it would't take too many cab packs to fill up available slots.

Back
Top Bottom