Neural DSP Quad Cortex still alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there folks on here that are using the Neural DSP Quad Cortex? It seems like they can't deliver on everything they promised even this far into the release.

Are people liking it? Is the capture function pretty good?

Not dissing them, just interested. I would enjoy a capture feature but it still seems like the QC is not ready for the prime time.

I was at a music festival two months ago, and the guitarist for one of the bands was using a QC. It sounded really good. Only reason I noticed was because I was close to the stage and people like us notice that kinda shit.

I talked to him for a bit afterwards and the signal chain he had used to generate captures was all really good stuff, so I wasn't surprised. He was happy to not have to bring his boutique gear to an outdoor festival in October.

I guess if you've already got a good rig, it's a viable way to go. Don't know how it would be for building something from scratch.

I have one and still use it regularly as well as my III, I like it and though its not on the level of the III for deep tweaking. I kinda dig the fact that its not, I can just go in and dial in an amp and get a good tone, if I want to go deeper ill fre up the III and go to town. There tools and a means to an end use what you want.

It's alive, but personally I think it's on life support. Seems like it was rushed to market and only really works great as a profiler (several sources claim it out-Kempers Kemper--they maybe should've used a different marketing angle).

I have had one for about 4 months. It's a cool piece of modern tech. Clean, compact, good looking unit. Has some great amp captures & models, plus some cool effects. The cab/mic section is well designed & quite easy to dial in good sounds. It's probably about 12 months away from being fully fleshed out.

Tried a beta unit at 2020 NAMM, then tried one of the latest unit last week during a recording session in my studio and.... saw no improve from the beta unit that means that it's a good profiler but without editor (and the guitar player took one hour to adjust levels of his presets) bad effects (modulations and delays are far from an acceptable level for live using, light years from studio levels). I always thought that having more brand and units on the market is a great thing to improve performance but units have to be at same level, and for the moment QC it's not at the same level (amp+cab+effect+add ons) of FAS units. IMHO

Tried a beta unit at 2020 NAMM, then tried one of the latest unit last week during a recording session in my studio and.... saw no improve from the beta unit that means that it's a good profiler but without editor (and the guitar player took one hour to adjust levels of his presets) bad effects (modulations and delays are far from an acceptable level for live using, light years from studio levels). I always thought that having more brand and units on the market is a great thing to improve performance but units have to be at same level, and for the moment QC it's not at the same level (amp+cab+effect+add ons) of FAS units. IMHO
Seems to be the common consensus on YouTube also. I hope it gets there for the profiler/capture sake. I want it really just for that.

A couple of my friends have them and seem to like them a lot. Again, product is still quite new. I don't think they have been adding a lot of new features to the extent that they originally intended to.

At one point I was interested but after the FM9 was released, I have no interest anymore.

It's alive, but personally I think it's on life support. Seems like it was rushed to market and only really works great as a profiler (several sources claim it out-Kempers Kemper--they maybe should've used a different marketing angle).
I'm one of those sources. Got in on the pre-order, and it's definitely a Kemper killer.
FAS killer? Another story entirely.

Most of the onboard models aside from maybe a little bit of the Fender stuff is laughably bad. You would think a company that made its name doing high gain plugins would have nailed this, but nope.

Effects are limited compared to FAS, but pretty good overall. Let's call it Line 6 territory.

Captures/profiles are excellent. It takes a little effort to make sure you're hitting it with a signal that's strong as possible without clipping, but once you do, you get far more honest replications of your tones than I ever got from KPA. EQ adjustments are also far more forgiving than the instant crap soup KPA turns into as soon as BMT isn't set to dead noon.

I think there's light at the end of the tunnel for those guys, but they ain't there yet. I also question their claim of being the "most powerful" floor processor... easier to max out CPU/instances than I would have liked. But, if (1) you already have great sounding gear you want to shove into a 5lb box, (2) your signal chains are fairly simple/straightforward, and (3) you can benefit from the everything-at-your-feet form factor, it's viable.

I'm one of those sources. Got in on the pre-order, and it's definitely a Kemper killer.
FAS killer? Another story entirely.

Most of the onboard models aside from maybe a little bit of the Fender stuff is laughably bad. You would think a company that made its name doing high gain plugins would have nailed this, but nope.

Effects are limited compared to FAS, but pretty good overall. Let's call it Line 6 territory.

Captures/profiles are excellent.
Your analysis pretty much mirrors Leon Todd's and Rhett Shull's. For me, their reviews certainly cut through a lot of the early noise. It seems like if you find anyone using it live, it's almost always a profile scenario.

Thanks for the input.

I don't have specific gigging needs, so the form factor isn't a reason for me to buy one piece of gear over another. Sound quality, support, value, & reliability are my criteria. So since getting an Axe III, it would take something pretty awesome to even make me want to try it, let alone buy it to do so, and take a chance on losing money on the (re)sale, of whichever one I didn't prefer.

So it's basically a year on and the Neural DSP has had no major updates. Pretty wild. They've released new plugins but serious lacking on new features and amps. They haven't even delivered what they promised before they even released the product. Line 6 and Fractal are years further beyond them now in modelling now. Amplitude came out with better capture tech (sadly just for computer at this point). Feels like they gave up.

So it's basically a year on and the Neural DSP has had no major updates. Pretty wild. They've released new plugins but serious lacking on new features and amps. They haven't even delivered what they promised before they even released the product. Line 6 and Fractal are years further beyond them now in modelling now. Amplitude came out with better capture tech (sadly just for computer at this point). Feels like they gave up.
2.) out shortly we have a beta right now.

Bought one a couple of months ago because the form factor intrigued me and I wanted to try one... The idea being that if it was a great piece of gear it would have replaced my HX Stomp as the minimalistic rig to go to rehearsals (my Axe Fx III stays at home most of the times).

Returned it after a couple of weeks.

Cool modeler but IMHO way overpriced and outperformed by other devices.
Axe Fx is completely on another league when it comes to features and to me is even easier to use (the QC felt like and Apple product with too much bullshit to go through to do basic things... Kinda like being restrained)

The capture feature is neat tough.

Hi, I have a QC ( for over 1 year now) I used to have a Axe Fx II and I can say that I like my Quad Cortex more. It`s small, light, good soundcard , 2 MIC pre`s , Capture/Kemper tech.. But the QC is better as you can have a lot of captures in a preset, say..3 boosts..2 overdrive`s..3 amp`s

The Amp models sound good ( a few does not) My QC is full of captures i have downloaded from the Cortex Cloud from other users.
It has WIFI, a big touchscreen ( and this is so quick and easy to use, and a lot of fun ) rotary knobs ( all the knobs do this)

The unit is missing stuff, editor ( I never missed it, but others do) some amp models, and hybrid mode

But the new upcoming firmware (2.0) will bring the unit a few steps along the way.

As far as the plugins go, I think this will be ported in the future

Am I missing the deep editing I had in my Fratcal unit..no. I think it`s nice that I `only `have just the amp controls of the real amp to tweek.
The Cab block is so easy to use, and I love to use that as an EQ by moving the mic`s to add or take away bass, treble

I would say try it out for your self, this is the only way to know for sure, if it`s a unit you would love to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom