Neumann NDH 20 headphones

shemihazazel

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone tried these out? Curious if they're worth the money.

Currently using my old Blue Mo-Fi cans, but they're a little worse for wear from heavy use.

Anyone tried these out? Curious if they're worth the money.

Currently using my old Blue Mo-Fi cans, but they're a little worse for wear from heavy use.
Key word.....HEAVY. I must have a weak neck, I could never wear those mofis for more than a couple minutes.....

I was so underwhelmed by my Neumann KH120 studio monitors, I wouldn't consider their headphones.

The mics- TLM103 are great, thy're good- the U87 is great...

I had an M149 which is double the price of a u87- also underwhelmed by it.

On my list of headphones to get are I think Blue Sadies so I'd stay where you're at...

Although I've used Bose for comfort for years- my model of choice has been long discontinued... I got to tell you I'm super happy with my Sony MDR 7506.

I don't understand $500 headphones for home use when i've been in million dollar studios and at most they have $100-200 Sony MDR or Beyerdynamic headphones. I see $500+ headphones discussed on forums, and guitar groups, and recording groups, home studio stuff- but in every real studio- they've never had big dollar headphones.

I was so underwhelmed by my Neumann KH120 studio monitors, I wouldn't consider their headphones.

The mics- TLM103 are great, thy're good- the U87 is great...

I had an M149 which is double the price of a u87- also underwhelmed by it.

On my list of headphones to get are I think Blue Sadies so I'd stay where you're at...

Although I've used Bose for comfort for years- my model of choice has been long discontinued... I got to tell you I'm super happy with my Sony MDR 7506.

I don't understand $500 headphones for home use when i've been in million dollar studios and at most they have $100-200 Sony MDR or Beyerdynamic headphones. I see $500+ headphones discussed on forums, and guitar groups, and recording groups, home studio stuff- but in every real studio- they've never had big dollar headphones.

Fair points. My Blues have served me well. Just trying to determine if I should replace with Mix-Fis or give Neumann a shot. They're new, but I figured I'd see if anyone here, like NAMM goers, has tried them. Before I go spending twice as much on replacement cans.

I don't understand $500 headphones for home use when i've been in million dollar studios and at most they have $100-200 Sony MDR or Beyerdynamic headphones.

I have a bunch of cheaper phones for generic studio use too. It doesn't take high quality phones to track or let 3rd parties listen to the tracking and I know I don't want to put out 3 or 4K for 5 or 6 higher quality cans but when I sit down for countless hours of track tweaking work I want some super decent and comfortable headphones for myself. The first OK headphones I ever bought were the Sony 7506's. Later I did put out the $500+ bucks for some Sennheiser 650's and I still have and use both pair for different purposes but honestly IMHO, and for my own use, they are night and day.

Over the years I've picked up every AKG and Sennheiser in the $300-500 range- none were really impressive or worth keeping- i basically found them for nothing here and there, didn't like them and sold them.

I did scope out BLUE at NAMM the year before last to figure out which one of their line I wanted

I used to go to BIG LOTS and buy $10-15 headphones when I needed 3-4 in the studio- use them, trash them- and people think 'oh it's a studio and they're big these must be expensive' but they're junk

but they did the job

I work for a headphone developer and used to work for one of the most notable ones in the world. Take that for what it is.

I tried the new Neumanns at NAMM. I found them to be uncomfortable and very much unusable if wearing MY glasses on MY head. They were a bit too "brute force" with the pressure applied to the head. Also, being perfectly circular for over-hear (circumaural) headphones seemed like an odd choice. They are well built though.
I can't value listening tests at a noisy trade show. I've nothing to comment upon in that regard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom