Nested Layouts for Grouping

Should Fractal consider this idea?

• Total voters

prometh

Power User
This might be a good idea for those who run out of space and for organizing multi-block effects.

Let's say you have an effect that takes up 4 blocks, but it only achieves 1 combined effect... say "liquid ripples" or something. Instead of confusing those with standard wah and overdrive effects, those 4 blocks could be grouped in a nested layout.

In theory, this would also allow for unlimited blocks. On the Axe-Fx's LCD, the layout would just change to the group contents, with some kind of a "go to parent" action.

The concept is very similar to nested compositions in Adobe After Effects, or arrays in programming... hell, even hard drive directories/folders.

While this is possible on some products (such as Eventide 4000 and above, called 'supermodules'), the Axe is not designed for this. With the Eventide, such a concept is useful when using the editor since even a basic dual chorus could consist of many submodules linked together (delays, lfo, math, interface, etc.). Without supermodules, an algorithm can be a colossal nightmare on screen. In the Axe, what would be a huge web of interconnected modules is already contained in a single block.

A feature in Axe Edit to copy a group of blocks along with the routing and save it as a group would be useful, but I'd rather see the team focus on Preset Manager, stability, and other features to bring it out of beta.

I guess that, after programming the Eventides for so long, the Axe just seems super easy as is. As far as I'm concerned, the Axe already has supermodules. It just doesn't have nested supermodules.

Interesting. Although, I'm not really interested in disassembling existing effects, but more in grouping custom multi-block effects into a single block on the main (top level) layout screen.

Adding such a group feature wouldn't really make the Axe-Fx any easier or more difficult to program, it'd just be an extra optional tool to work with in better organizing the layout.

I can't imagine it being overly difficult for Fractal to program in some effect block arrays. The required navigation controls may prove more difficult. However, I haven't built the thing, so I can only imagine so deep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom