Neil Young tone Quest......

fafakiwi

Experienced
Hi ,
I know and i m sure that my thread won t be popular but anyway .....i ll try and it s up to all great persons , the scientists of the Axe in particular to help me ....once more in my quest .
This Quest i ve started before having my Axe III , my Axe II ....
So ....I ve discovered an old thread on Grungy sounds , this thread can be found at the end of this one ...
In this thread , you can find smaples from Iarese,Ian and especially the Neil Young 5e3 one which emulates in an old Axe II firmware ....
this sound , preset is amazing , and truly the best Neil young tone i ve never heard ,....
After few mails with Ian , He told where to find this preset on Axechange....it s the Neversleep V2 preset , the link is also at the end of My Thread.
Of course , this preset is far for sounding like Iarese sample even converted with fractool .
So i d like to ask help , if few would try to make this preset sounds again like it was .
I often ask myself what you need to tweak when you want to use preset from an old firmware , from years ago ....
If manys like to try the challenge , not easy .....i hope so or advises on how to give new life to this preset .....
i ll see if answers are coming ....
Thanks anyway even for reading it ..;
Cheeeeers
Fafa
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ples-of-axe-fx-iii-with-grungy-sounds.154737/
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4723

PS/ the preset is attached for facility.....

Attachments

• p004723_NeverSleep-v2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 35
Hi ,
I know and i m sure that my thread won t be popular but anyway .....i ll try and it s up to all great persons , the scientists of the Axe in particular to help me ....once more in my quest .
This Quest i ve started before having my Axe III , my Axe II ....
So ....I ve discovered an old thread on Grungy sounds , this thread can be found at the end of this one ...
In this thread , you can find smaples from Iarese,Ian and especially the Neil Young 5e3 one which emulates in an old Axe II firmware ....
this sound , preset is amazing , and truly the best Neil young tone i ve never heard ,....
After few mails with Ian , He told where to find this preset on Axechange....it s the Neversleep V2 preset , the link is also at the end of My Thread.
Of course , this preset is far for sounding like Iarese sample even converted with fractool .
So i d like to ask help , if few would try to make this preset sounds again like it was .
I often ask myself what you need to tweak when you want to use preset from an old firmware , from years ago ....
If manys like to try the challenge , not easy .....i hope so or advises on how to give new life to this preset .....
i ll see if answers are coming ....
Thanks anyway even for reading it ..;
Cheeeeers
Fafa
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ples-of-axe-fx-iii-with-grungy-sounds.154737/
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4723

PS/ the preset is attached for facility.....
Very cool I cut my teeth on Neil Young tunes. I hope you find the tones you are looking for I love Neil Young tunes.
Good to see someone else with a love for his tone. ;):D

Very cool I cut my teeth on Neil Young tunes. I hope you find the tones you are looking for I love Neil Young tunes.
IIRC, he uses a hopped up Fender tweed Deluxe with 6L6 outputs and bigger transformers, with a device called "the Whizzer" stuck on top that turns all 3 knobs to specific preset positions, to get a number of different sounds out of it. Not sure if it also routes his guitar signal to one, the other, or both channels as well.

This old preset .... is the sound if you listen to the sample .
But giving a new life to this old preset is quite ... impossible

I did not expect such a success :):).....
Thought this glorious preset from the past would have interested more a few fractal scientists .... with tweaking knowledge .
Too bad ....:confused:

I too find NY’s tone hard to nail. Actually the cleaner of his electric tones impossible so far... Harvest album era (Alabama, Words)
I’m hundreds of hours in, it’s something I keep going back to when I think to myself I can handle the frustration!! 😆

The good news is, Moke has a preset on his site (which I have) and that gets real close to the heavier tone NY has. Give it a try.

Thanks for your answer,
Did you give an ear to the old Iarese preset sample ...???
That’s it !!!!
I think I deleted the audio clip purging stuff from my SoundCloud because I was out of space. :( Terrible timing I’m afraid. It was many years old, who could care anymore I thought to myself!

Does he have an amp tone or is a combination of different amps that change per song / album? I remember reading (or listening) to an interview by Daniel Lanois about recording NY and IIRC he has several amps he runs together. And he only records during the full moon (or anytime but the full moon - I don’t remember which) so there is always that. Maybe FAS can give us a full moon switch (it won’t actually do anything but people will swear by it).

Back
Top Bottom