Neil Young Preset?

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
HI, I'm looking for a Neil Young like preset, partly as a way to compare the ones I have been building. I'm not good at that type of thing, so looking for a reality check!

Neal always had this raunchy tone that I often thought sounded awful, but you have to admit that (like his voice) the song would never sound the same without it.

He used Gretsch guitars a lot, along with a black Les Paul Custom, both contributing to his sound, but I think the common thread was that old Fender Deluxe amp. It just sounded like it was about to burst all the time. Try starting with the Deluxe Tweed model and go from there.

@JRkelley here's an updated version done with Cygnus on the Axe-Fx III: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9237

Sounds fantastic with my P90 Les Paul.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.44.57 AM.png

You'll want to drop Reverb 2 if you're importing it into an FM3 -- that reverb is just there for some room ambience when you're jamming out at home. Reverb 1, in front of the amp is the important reverb.

There's a control switch attached to master feedback on the delay block. It's attached to per-preset switch #1 in the preset. If you press that switch it takes the feedback from low to high on the delay block. Amazing to play with when the reverb 1 block is also on.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.46.08 AM.png

And the Drive 1 running Octave Distortion is really meant to be used when Drive 2 is also on. But play around with it and see what you like.

There's lots and lots of nasty, but incredibly useful, tones in this one.

I'm runing beta software on my FM3 so I can't give you a pre-trimmed preset, but here's what I'd recommend:

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.49.07 AM.png

You can even keep the looper block in there if you want -- you've got enough CPU for it. Drag and drop the preset onto FM3-Edit and it'll import pretty clean.

FM9 Users: it fits perfectly in an FM9. No changes required.

Back
Top Bottom