Neil Young’s hometown concert is free to watch during the holidays

Hopefully he plays "Keep on Rock'n in the Free World". While politically he is polar opposite, he's a great musician and seems like a good person by all accounts. I'll check it out and thanks for sharing.

seems like a good person

I live about 15 minutes from where Neil grew up and played the concert. When his dad was still alive, every year he would come up to see his dad on his birthday. He would pick him up in a limo and they would head into to town for a few drinks at a pub called the Montreal House.

There used to be a great guitar shop in town called Ed’s Music. It was on the first floor of an old house, with old wood floor’s covered in amps. and gear and the walls were full of hanging guitars for sale...it was such a cool place. I only picked a guitar for the first time about 15 years ago but fortunately I had the opportunity to go in there a few times before it closed. It was owned by Don Skuce, who was really nice guy and known by everyone in town. Sadly, he passed away shortly after he closed the shop.

The first time I went into Ed's Music and met Don, he was so friendly...he offered me a coffee and we started talking about guitars and music. He told me about how he was a self taught luthier, he showed me a binder full of pics of his guitar collection, which included very valuable Tele's from the 50's and some very early Strats, including the first guitar he bought in the early 70's with his paper route money, for a couple hundred bucks, a 70's Strat.

Don told me one day he was standing at the counter working on a guitar, he heard the door open, looked up and it was Neil Young. He said he was so down to earth and friendly. Don said he was in there for quite a while and they had a great chat. If I recall, I believe he said Neil ended up buying an acoustic and some strings.

Here's a pic and a short documentary of Don, where he talks about his collection.

1608815699443.png

Back
Top Bottom