Negative IRs

TK78

Hi,

The thread "After ten years I'm done...", made me wonder if it's technically possible to tonematch a cab, and then create a negative IR which compensates it's sound. So that you could use an existing cab, neutralize it's characteristics with the tonematched block and then use the IRs from the Axe? Not sure if I make sense, but this would be cool to fully utilize the Axe with cabs...
I'm personally running on FRFRs anyway, just wondering, craving a bit for the matrix experience now...

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi,

The thread "After ten years I'm done...", made me wonder if it's technically possible to tonematch a cab, and then create a negative IR which compensates it's sound. So that you could use an existing cab, neutralize it's characteristics with the tonematched block and then use the IRs from the Axe? Not sure if I make sense, but this would be cool to fully utilize the Axe with cabs...
I'm personally running on FRFRs anyway, just wondering, craving a bit for the matrix experience now...

Cheers,
Thomas
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/out-there-idea-cab-assimilation.85806/#post-1039918

In a certain range, there where the cab easily delivers some pressure, you could eq things right, mainly by cutting some humps.
It's harder to fill bumps and impossible to fill gaps. When a speaker/ cab isn't able to display a certain frequency it will not get displayed just because you turn that frequency further up.
Since an IR don't takes care about these problems you'd always had to fix at least the outer ends of the inverse IR and look out for some extrem boosts to avoid damages to your speakers.

Thanks for the feedback and also the link. Sorry, wasn't aware that this has already been discussed. Understand the explanation, just wonder if then it would be possible to design / get an 1x12 speaker which is neutral enough, similar to an FRFR. Would be nice to have that full speaker sound with max. Axe flexibility, guess I'm just dreaming though...

Cheers,
Thomas

Picking up that thought, some time ago I was wondering if it would be possible to substract the influence of the mic from an IR. You would probably have to measure the characterics of the mic in the specific location to the speaker, first. Don't know if this is possible at all.

Back
Top Bottom