Needs more chords

Just saw this today during my lunch break. Same sentiments as @chucma, a lot of that flew way over my head and made me realize that I really need to learn more theory.. Unfortunately, learning it at that level requires a good deal of time, dedication, and memorization.

I long for the days when I could turn on the radio and listen to the "Top 10" and pop songs were tunes like this. You'd turn on the AM radio and Steely Dan - Peg would pour out of the 6x9 speaker in the Chevy Impala...the list goes on...I sorely miss amazing tunes and songcraft like this.

I watched this yesterday... when I saw the title, the first thing I thought was maybe a Steely Dan song like Josie, or maybe he decided to take some prog song that became a hit and call it pop.

Love the story of them thinking they could learn it in 20 minutes! And then all the times he goes "wwhaaaat?!??!??!!!"

Awesome video! I generally don't watch much of Ricks stuff anymore (overloaded on him a while back), but this one had me until the end!

The theory behind it's not that advanced. It's more that it's so unpredictable. It's a very unconventional song, and seems to be doing things just to throw people off.

Like he says, there is no real way to use your ear, or even advanced theory knowledge to know where the song is going, you just have to know it by heart. Sure, within a certain section there might be traditional voice leading (a 2-5-1 with a deceptive cadence to 3 minor instead of the 1 is one thing he brings up), but the modulations and transitions between sections are really out there.

Back
Top Bottom