Needing tips on how to get more attack on clean tones.

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I find that my clean tones tend to lack the explosive punchy attack that I get with my real AC-30, Deluxe, and JTM 45. Even when using those models with my real amp settings, my tone sounds and feels "direct" and doesn't have that same response and "smack" that I get from my actual amps.

I'm fully confident that the Axe can bring the smack. Do you guys have any tips on some advanced parameters or anything else I need to tweak with to make this happen?

It could be the IR, have you tried experimenting on that front? For Fender models I really like the TAF mix included in the firmware update UR samples.

I have to ask- what are you playing the Axe Fx through? I found a huge increase in presence, attack, and clarity when I got better studio monitors.

I'll have to try that IR out.

I'm running it through an Apogee Ensemble. Sometimes I use the onboard preamps, and sometimes I run through some outboard pres and compressors and monitor on Dynaudio BM6As and BeyerDynamic DT770 headphones. The high gain tones sound fantastic! It's just nailing an explosive feel from a clean amp with low gain (master on 10, but input gain around 2.5-3) that's giving me an issue.

I find that my clean tones tend to lack the explosive punchy attack that I get with my real AC-30, Deluxe, and JTM 45. Even when using those models with my real amp settings, my tone sounds and feels "direct" and doesn't have that same response and "smack" that I get from my actual amps.

I'm fully confident that the Axe can bring the smack. Do you guys have any tips on some advanced parameters or anything else I need to tweak with to make this happen?

Turn the Output Comp to 2. I had to do that to the Vox, Hiwatt, and all the Fenders in 17.04 to make them sound right to me. Way better!
Setting the Output Comp to anything except 0 adds 2 CPU though.

The Studio Compressor sounds good on the clean amps also.

I don't remember which cab I use for the AC30, but I remember there were several choices that all sounded good, but subtly different. So try the different cab choices.

I also use real Vox AC30's Marshall Plexis, Hiwatts, Vintage Fender amps, etc. So I can A/B the Fractal with the real amps.
Make sure you are monitoring your Axe FX at a volume is not too quiet.

whew, that seems like a lot of output comp!! but hey, if it works...

fwiw, i feel like i get tons of that kind of attack. i mainly use the DC30 with the silver alnico 1x12 OH cab.

Back
Top Bottom