Need your opinion: Austin Buddy vs Cooper Carter?

Honestly, Cooper's classes are fantastic. I learned a whole pile of what to do and how to do it via his lessons. I'm not interested in having someone else do that for me. I want to learn the most I can about the unit and make it my sound. It continues to be a fun time and a very enjoyable machine to use!

Honestly, Cooper's classes are fantastic. I learned a whole pile of what to do and how to do it via his lessons. I'm not interested in having someone else do that for me. I want to learn the most I can about the unit and make it my sound. It continues to be a fun time and a very enjoyable machine to use!
How deep does he dive? Is it basic or advanced? Others above seem to suggest that much of information can be found on YouTube, the forum, the manuals, etc.

Since @jlynnb1 pointed out you are probably a P&W gut, here's a really excellent freebie for ya:

https://worshiptutorials.com/product/ac30-free-fractal-fm3-preset/

These guys have some great videos as well. I would say that Leon Todd's vids are probably some of the best free instruction videos available. I like how he packs alot into a short presentation and everything is usually very focused. You should definitely grab his free packs as well.

How deep does he dive? Is it basic or advanced? Others above seem to suggest that much of information can be found on YouTube, the forum, the manuals, etc.

He gets very deep into it. I mean the course syllabus is 21 chapters with multiple files in each chapter to view. Lots of setups, situations and settings as well as some great tricks.

This may be a silly question but if you take Cooper’s course why would you want or need to buy prefab presets? Half the fun is learning how to use the device and implementing what you’ve learned.
No silly questions, except maybe mine. I really want to be independent and build all my own, but I have to tell you, it was much easier getting to "my sound" with pedals than with this. This is much deeper and can do so much more. I was hoping for a jump start ie training wheels that AB can provide. Thanks man!

Since @jlynnb1 pointed out you are probably a P&W gut, here's a really excellent freebie for ya:

https://worshiptutorials.com/product/ac30-free-fractal-fm3-preset/

These guys have some great videos as well. I would say that Leon Todd's vids are probably some of the best free instruction videos available. I like how he packs alot into a short presentation and everything is usually very focused. You should definitely grab his free packs as well.
Thank @fcs101 - I did download that recently as well as another one of theirs. Cool stuff!!

He gets very deep into it. I mean the course syllabus is 21 chapters with multiple files in each chapter to view. Lots of setups, situations and settings as well as some great tricks.
Does he include any preset downloads? I'm assuming that I can continue to reference materials after the fact?

I have both and recommend both.
For me, this comes down to how much time you want to spend on the unit before playing in front of people.
As you seem to play out weekly, you may be more in need of some immediately useful presets to use RIGHT NOW, as opposed to knowledge that will increase your ability to use the equipment over time. Get the presets to put you in a comfortable place with your gigs, then save up for the class to be able to take your understanding to the next level.

There is NO vs. Either will be a help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Personally, I have learned more in 11+ years from the forum than anything else.
But I do have AB FM3 pack and Cooper Carter was one of the handful of folks on here early that helped us all. I have no doubt his classes are primo. AB's presets are also right up there..........So you cannot really make a mistake either way!

Just like so many others: both.
Cooper Carter's is great for learning whereas Austin Buddy's pack is great for totally usable sounds out of the box.

I learned so much from watching CC and now I understand the AB pack better and can easilier get what I want from it. I think they really complement each other so well that they should be offered in a package ;-)

For me, the AB Live Gold preset pack has made my recording 40% better and now enjoy playing my guitar through my FrFr, and Leon Todd has made me understand the subtle nessisities for such, I was Interested in the Cooper class too and still might go for it, but for now I enjoy YT for learning and of course this site

I have taken both, and happy with both of them. As people have said, all the information is out there basically, but Cooper structures that nicely for you and give also insight derived from that wealthy mass of information available online. If I had to choose, I would go for the AB live gold pack, since it gives you so much goodness for playing and you can learn and transfer insights from those presets to your own presets. But you can't really compare and if you don't mind purchasing both of them, I see only good reasons to do that :)

I'll add to my previous post to explain my enthusiasm on both packages.....

Austin's package is a great source of ready-to-gig presets, as other have mentioned. I keep them loaded on my machine for this reason.

Carter's class teaches a lot about the FM3 and is very organized, so it is perfect as a reference source. I find myself doing this often. He does walk you through building several presets and those are downloadable with the class. When you are done, you should have no problem building your own presets and/or configuring the FM3 to do exactly as you want.

However, here is why having both is great: Carter's class gave me the expertise to open Austin's presets and immediately recognize what he was doing with the setttings. Makes it much easier for me then to tweak and build additional scenes. Even if I am set on building my own preset (I will often at least know what amp I want to start with) AB's presets are a great foundation to lay out a plan for your own preset. So, with both packages, I am able to now build and/or tweak much faster and more productively than if I just had one package and infinitely faster than if I had none.

I'll add to my previous post to explain my enthusiasm on both packages.....

Austin's package is a great source of ready-to-gig presets, as other have mentioned. I keep them loaded on my machine for this reason.

Carter's class teaches a lot about the FM3 and is very organized, so it is perfect as a reference source. I find myself doing this often. He does walk you through building several presets and those are downloadable with the class. When you are done, you should have no problem building your own presets and/or configuring the FM3 to do exactly as you want.

However, here is why having both is great: Carter's class gave me the expertise to open Austin's presets and immediately recognize what he was doing with the setttings. Makes it much easier for me then to tweak and build additional scenes. Even if I am set on building my own preset (I will often at least know what amp I want to start with) AB's presets are a great foundation to lay out a plan for your own preset. So, with both packages, I am able to now build and/or tweak much faster and more productively than if I just had one package and infinitely faster than if I had none.
I kind of knew that I needed both for all the reasons listed. I was curious to see what folks would say regarding which to buy first. It seems like Cooper first, then AB. It's great having access to all the "Fractalites" that have all this experience. Appreciate it, thank you!

I kind of knew that I needed both for all the reasons listed. I was curious to see what folks would say regarding which to buy first. It seems like Cooper first, then AB. It's great having access to all the "Fractalites" that have all this experience. Appreciate it, thank you!

Yes, get Cooper first. It's like going to college. First, enroll in class, then later pay the admin fee to be able to use the library. :)

what would you do first, Cooper Carter Class or download Austin Buddy's live gold

Cooper’s class. Learn the unit. I’ve never had success with someone else’s settings. I wasn’t a fan of Cooper’s tones in his class either, but I learned lots of cool tricks on the unit to make mine easier. Class is worth the price of admission.

As an educator myself, I was very impressed by the methodical way in which Cooper presents the material in both AX3 and FM3 classes. You simply will not find such logically presented information anywhere else. I am a huge fan of Leon Todd, and agree that his videos are top notch, but IMO they are better seen as an adjunct to the foundation laid by Cooper Carter. As for Austin Buddy’s presets, they are excellent. Use them as a foundation to build on and/or help you to understand how great presets are constructed.

Back
Top Bottom