Need your opinion: Austin Buddy vs Cooper Carter?

shawnfitz1222

Inspired
Hi Folks,

I am a new FM3 user and have a lot to learn!!

I have a conundrum and thought i'd run it by you good folks here. I used the FM3 unit live this past weekend (Sat and Sunday) and was a little frustrated. This is all on me, not the FM3. I was a bit frustrated with my sound, but I was listening to my sound via IEM's. (Keep in mind, I thought I sounded pretty good in my Yamaha studio monitors at home.)

I feel pretty good tweaking via FM3-Edit, but where I am weak, is tweaking on the unit. I am watching YouTube videos on building presets from the FM3 and reading, but have a ways to go. I've read how many of prefer tweaking on the unit, probably for this reason.

When I got home Sunday, I spent time watching videos on the subject. (Leon Todd and Greg Summers) So thankful for those resources!! But that lead me to Cooper Carter and his master class.

I was planning to purchase Cooper Carters class, thinking this would be a good investment in "teaching a man to fish". Then I saw the Austin Buddy posts and started to think about starting out with his sweet presets, may be a better idea, because 1, I'd have great usable presets for live and 2, I could learn by seeing what he did in his presets.

This isn't really one or the other, rather than what would you do first, Cooper Carter Class or download Austin Buddy's live gold? Both are good and good investments, it's just I can't do both at this time.

Thanks for the advice!

Shawn

IMHO it's kind of apples and oranges. The Cooper Carter Classes are a clear, concise approach to increasing your knowledge. Then the Austin Buddy presets are the 'result' of someone that knows what they are doing. You can learn from those or you can just use them out of the box so to speak. When I bought my Axe III my transaction included Axe III, FC-12, Austin Buddy presets and Cooper Carter class. I felt they all were mandatory.

As someone who’s purchased both, I’d recommend purchasing Austin Buddy’s Live Gold and take advantage of the enormous amount of content available on YouTube.

Nothing against Cooper’s content, because it is a very good course. However, there really isn’t much “deep dive” about it or anything you can’t find in Leon Todd’s videos, other YouTube content, or even on these forums.

Hi Folks,

I am a new FM3 user and have a lot to learn!!

I have a conundrum and thought i'd run it by you good folks here. I used the FM3 unit live this past weekend (Sat and Sunday) and was a little frustrated. This is all on me, not the FM3. I was a bit frustrated with my sound, but I was listening to my sound via IEM's. (Keep in mind, I thought I sounded pretty good in my Yamaha studio monitors at home.)

I feel pretty good tweaking via FM3-Edit, but where I am weak, is tweaking on the unit. I am watching YouTube videos on building presets from the FM3 and reading, but have a ways to go. I've read how many of prefer tweaking on the unit, probably for this reason.

When I got home Sunday, I spent time watching videos on the subject. (Leon Todd and Greg Summers) So thankful for those resources!! But that lead me to Cooper Carter and his master class.

I was planning to purchase Cooper Carters class, thinking this would be a good investment in "teaching a man to fish". Then I saw the Austin Buddy posts and started to think about starting out with his sweet presets, may be a better idea, because 1, I'd have great usable presets for live and 2, I could learn by seeing what he did in his presets.

This isn't really one or the other, rather than what would you do first, Cooper Carter Class or download Austin Buddy's live gold? Both are good and good investments, it's just I can't do both at this time.

Thanks for the advice!

Shawn
by you mentioning playing on Sunday and the Veritas in your profile pic, I'm assuming you play in church. Tons of us around here, we also have FB group dedicated to worship peeps who play Fractal. Cooper and Austin's stuff is great and immensely helpful, but so is a group of peers who understand what you're going for.

I've read how many of prefer tweaking on the unit,
Aside from a few hardcore front panel folks, I'm sure most would agree the editor app is way better, assuming you have a computer.

I'd start with Cooper's class, then get Austin Buddy's presets as soon as you can.

by you mentioning playing on Sunday and the Veritas in your profile pic, I'm assuming you play in church. Tons of us around here, we also have FB group dedicated to worship peeps who play Fractal. Cooper and Austin's stuff is great and immensely helpful, but so is a group of peers who understand what you're going for.
@jlynnb1 - Good catch! I would love to join the group if you could send me a link or let me know the name and I'll search for it. Thank you!!

If it comes down to JUST ONE: I would go with the class.
As you say, "teach a man to fish". Way more beneficial.

The idea that you can see AB's work, and reverse-engineer it is probably unlikely.
There are so many tiny tweaks, and figuring out what was done, what changed from the defaults, and why would be an enormous rabbit hole.

Familiarity with the HW panel editor is definitely a plus, there's no downside.
However, Axe-Edit is SOOOOO good, so fluid and intuitive, I can't imagine not utilizing it as the primary. Especially live.
(Though the Performance Tabs might be all you need for a gig? It depends.....)

I repurposed an old, underpowered, and otherwise-useless touchscreen laptop to dedicate to Axe-Edit 3.
It works like a charm, it's just like turning knobs, but better. Highly recommend.
You can also go the FracTool route on a tablet (I think it works on a phone too, IIRC).

If it comes down to JUST ONE: I would go with the class.
As you say, "teach a man to fish". Way more beneficial.

The idea that you can see AB's work, and reverse-engineer it is probably unlikely.
There are so many tiny tweaks, and figuring out what was done, what changed from the defaults, and why would be an enormous rabbit hole.

Familiarity with the HW panel editor is definitely a plus, there's no downside.
However, Axe-Edit is SOOOOO good, so fluid and intuitive, I can't imagine not utilizing it as the primary. Especially live.
(Though the Performance Tabs might be all you need for a gig? It depends.....)

I repurposed an old, underpowered, and otherwise-useless touchscreen laptop to dedicate to Axe-Edit 3.
It works like a charm, it's just like turning knobs, but better. Highly recommend.
You can also go the FracTool route on a tablet (I think it works on a phone too, IIRC).

@ModelGuitarist - Thank you. The reason I thought buying AB's first was having a great starting point for live use. My understanding is all the levels are tweaked and any changes that I would do, like reverb or delay types would be icing on the cake. Also, I would save the BPM tempo in as well. That's why I was tempted. I know both would be great, just curious to what would benefit most, first and having great live presets are a starting point could be awesome.

@ModelGuitarist - Thank you. The reason I thought buying AB's first was having a great starting point for live use. My understanding is all the levels are tweaked and any changes that I would do, like reverb or delay types would be icing on the cake. Also, I would save the BPM tempo in as well. That's why I was tempted. I know both would be great, just curious to what would benefit most, first and having great live presets are a starting point could be awesome.
Absolutely. They sound great. That's why people love them. It would definitely get you less time tweaking, and more time playing that's for sure.

There's a lot of great info out there. Though 98% of it is Editor-focused.
Leon, Greg, and Gurtej Singh (although he uses an AF2, most info applies to the 3), and several others.

A lot of the time the defaults are actually pretty great, as are the factory IRs, but it may help to check out some 3rd party IRs, e.g. York Audio, Ownhammer, etc. Even Celestion and Eminence now sell single-speaker IRs on their sites. It might open up some new doors for you.

If you're looking for tweaking tips, one who was most helpful for me was Rosh Roslin's series on editing basics. Learned some things I hadn't heard or seen anywhere else:

Absolutely. They sound great. That's why people love them. It would definitely get you less time tweaking, and more time playing that's for sure.

There's a lot of great info out there. Though 98% of it is Editor-focused.
Leon, Greg, and Gurtej Singh (although he uses an AF2, most info applies to the 3), and several others.

A lot of the time the defaults are actually pretty great, as are the factory IRs, but it may help to check out some 3rd party IRs, e.g. York Audio, Ownhammer, etc. Even Celestion and Eminence now sell single-speaker IRs on their sites. It might open up some new doors for you.

If you're looking for tweaking tips, one who was most helpful for me was Rosh Roslin's series on editing basics. Learned some things I hadn't heard or seen anywhere else:

Thanks for all the great info. I am very curious about IR's. I've seen York Audio mentioned quite a bit here. No doubt IR's are another rabbit hole for me to crawl down. LOL

And now I know your middle name 😂

This may be a silly question but if you take Cooper’s course why would you want or need to buy prefab presets? Half the fun is learning how to use the device and implementing what you’ve learned.

Back
Top Bottom