Need your input with Power Amp + Real cab

Cpt737

Hi everyone;
Im currently using my Axe III with Matrix GT 800FX and EVH 2x12 Cab with G12H evh 30W speakers. Since my cab is not included in Speaker Imp. Curve in amp block, what are my options in order to get best sound possible. Maybe selecting 1x12 Brit G12H55 as SIC and play around with Cab Resonance or I ve read people selecting Resistive Load for some reason. I know Its all subjective but looking for best possible options I can try out. Since there are many ways, I was wondering your applications If the real cab is not included in the SIC list. Thanks in advance.

Scroll through the curves til you find something you like. Save the preset w/ SIC name in title.

Copy preset to another location, keep scrolling - find something you like, save the preset w/ SIC name in title.

If you have access to a real amp modeled in the AFX, what I do is try to find the SIC that seems to match most closely what I hear with the real amp/cab set up. Usually it doesn't take long to get the AFX and the real amp/cab to match up well enough.

But that's for "accuracy." If you just want something that sounds good, just scroll through them and pick what you like.

If you have access to a real amp modeled in the AFX, what I do is try to find the SIC that seems to match most closely what I hear with the real amp/cab set up. Usually it doesn't take long to get the AFX and the real amp/cab to match up well enough.

But that's for "accuracy." If you just want something that sounds good, just scroll through them and pick what you like.
That makes sense but I sold all my amp heads since I was running out of space. Thanks anyway.

It’s been a while since I plugged into my real 2x12 but going from memory I found it sounded best finding a 2x12 curve that sounded the best, I think it was the zilla 2x12 in my case that I liked.

If I had an EVH 2x12 I would try the EVH 4x12 curve and then try to tune it with the LF and HF to a more realistic value that you can find online from the speaker or cab specs. Maybe that’s worth a try.

It’s been a while since I plugged into my real 2x12 but going from memory I found it sounded best finding a 2x12 curve that sounded the best, I think it was the zilla 2x12 in my case that I liked.

If I had an EVH 2x12 I would try the EVH 4x12 curve and then try to tune it with the LF and HF to a more realistic value that you can find online from the speaker or cab specs. Maybe that’s worth a try.
I actually looked for any technical document about the cab but it only shows basic specs like wattage and ohm at their website. I sent them an email about it and waiting for an answer. Can you give little more insight about how to apply cab specs into axe fx if I recieve a reply. I get confused pretty fast with this stuff.

I actually looked for any technical document about the cab but it only shows basic specs like wattage and ohm at their website. I sent them an email about it and waiting for an answer. Can you give little more insight about how to apply cab specs into axe fx if I recieve a reply. I get confused pretty fast with this stuff.
Unfortunately I usually had the same experience any time I try finding actual measurements. On speakers they usually have at least the low resonance of the speaker stated somewhere but how does that change when the speaker actually goes into a cabinet, I have no clue.

You can try finding the speaker parameters instead of the cab's.

https://celestion.com/product/G12-EVH/

I've found this one with 20w on Celestion site.

As far as I learned here in the forum, the cab resonance is always higher than the speaker resonance. At least it is a good starting point if you set the LF frequency on the impedance curve around 10% higher than the speaker value.

Unfortunately I usually had the same experience any time I try finding actual measurements. On speakers they usually have at least the low resonance of the speaker stated somewhere but how does that change when the speaker actually goes into a cabinet, I have no clue.
same here - going to try the rattle test yet again on mine (maybe putting a glass of water on top this time to see if that shows anything). In the mean time I just pick an IC I like but that's side
stepping the objective of getting the cab resonatingly connected to the virtual amp model.

Usually Celestion Speaker Frequency Range75-5000Hz
Based on this!

I also cut down to 75 Hz below the speaker setting, I cut between 5-6000 Hz above.

I also use a real guitar cab with a Matrix power amp for my on-stage sound (no cab IR, output 4)... but I am also feeding signals to FOH (output 2) and to an FRFR (output 1). These 2 outputs are through a cab IR(s) and EQ. Output 1 and Output 2 are the exact same, except output 1 has a volume pedal.

Personally, I start by dialing in my stage sound. I use the amp's "speaker impedance" to help shape the sound I am working on. I do not care at all if this correlates to my guitar cabs in any way. I only care that the sound out of the cab is what I am looking for, and this is one of the tools at my disposal.

After I dial output 4 in, I then work on the outputs 1 & 2. When I first started doing this, I would look to match the cab IR tone as close as I could to the tone coming out of my cab. But after a lot of experimentation with different PAs in different situations (big rooms, small rooms, outdoor, etc.) and different musical styles, I found it was better to dial in a "live sound" that is more PA friendly and works properly in that kind of mix. I pick the cab(s) that get me closest to what I am looking for, and then use the EQ to do the rest of the work. In general, the 2 tones come out are similar, but they are not the same. And I now know, they do not need to be. I don't listen to my guitar the same way my audience does.

Step 1: Find an impedance curve in the Axe that's most similar to your actual cab.

Step 2: play white or pink noise via the Synth block and adjust the center frequency of the Low Resonance until it's the loudest. At that point it's probably matched up with the natural low resonance of your physical cab. Adjust intensity and Q to taste.

Step3: Adjust the High Resonance to taste. I don't know if there's a way to test what the "most accurate" curve is with the High Resonance control like there is with Low Resonance, so just dialing how it sounds best to you is probably your best bet.

Last edited:
Usually Celestion Speaker Frequency Range75-5000Hz
Based on this!

I also cut down to 75 Hz below the speaker setting, I cut between 5-6000 Hz above.
I don't see the point in this. What does cutting below and above accomplish? The speaker will roll off below and above anyways.

You can try finding the speaker parameters instead of the cab's.

https://celestion.com/product/G12-EVH/

I've found this one with 20w on Celestion site.

As far as I learned here in the forum, the cab resonance is always higher than the speaker resonance. At least it is a good starting point if you set the LF frequency on the impedance curve around 10% higher than the speaker value.
10% above is actually pretty accurate. I have a V30 loaded 112, V30 RF is at 75 Hz, I enjoy settings around 80-85.

Back
Top Bottom