Need To Restart - Making an Uberschall Scream?

Aha. I found something else which is helping a lot.

Bogners seem to prefer Marshall style cabs and not necessarily the Mesa Oversized cabs. That looseness is starting to open up in a cab that moves a little compared to the super-tight Mesa cabs I was using.

Even though in some ways, the Uber reminds me of a Rectifier, it's requiring a fairly different approach. I'm also reading up that the Presence\Mid knobs react in ways that aren't necessarily predictable. I'm getting closer (and I'll post a clip tonight\tomorrow) but what I'm missing at the moment is a bit of the grind, and the dark sorta colour to the mids.

I've been increasing the Treble to try to coax some grind out of it, (Like in Azael's clip), but that's brightning the mids into the Hot-Rodded Marshall sorta territory. I'm boosting the amp with a drive pedal.

What are some tips\tricks to get some grind, without making the mids bright?

Bogners seem to prefer Marshall style cabs and not necessarily the Mesa Oversized cabs. That looseness is starting to open up in a cab that moves a little compared to the super-tight Mesa cabs I was using.

Even though in some ways, the Uber reminds me of a Rectifier, it's requiring a fairly different approach. I'm also reading up that the Presence\Mid knobs react in ways that aren't necessarily predictable. I'm getting closer (and I'll post a clip tonight\tomorrow) but what I'm missing at the moment is a bit of the grind, and the dark sorta colour to the mids.

I've been increasing the Treble to try to coax some grind out of it, (Like in Azael's clip), but that's brightning the mids into the Hot-Rodded Marshall sorta territory. I'm boosting the amp with a drive pedal.

Actually turn up the mids turn down
Presence and treble

That first video sounded bad ass! When
I get more play time I'd like to cop that sound my damn self! I'll create a patch and share it w you it will be on point...depending on what you're playing it though obviously

Those initial clips, and the subsequent clips posted by users here, are really inspiring. Here's my attempt;

Sounds incredible!!! Maybe I'm hearing a bit more chorus & tad more pick attack in the original clip but other than that I'd say it's there

The problem: My Uber kinda sounds like a hot rodded Marshall

Your patch is a bit Marshall-ish for what I'm going for.

It's an attempt to explain what I'm looking for and what seperates Ubers from Marshalls into a fairly unique beast.
To my ears, the Uber always sounded very similar to a JCM 800. I've got a patch dialed in for my JP6 BFR that I love jamming on. Next time I'm around the Axe, I'll see what I got going on.

Reactions: H13

Try increase only presence! What cab do you have?

So I went ahead and bought that Lasse pack of patches. It's a bit expensive but there was a few amps in that pack which he manages to make sound awesome that I always struggled with. So I was curious to see how he did things.

When I plugged in my Les Paul, I got noises that sounded almost nothing like the demos. I think maybe I'm trying to get blood out of a stone here with the guitar I'm using. That being said:

Those initial clips, and the subsequent clips posted by users here, are really inspiring. Here's my attempt;

Damn son! I'll download your preset and give it a bash. That's a bitching noise!

To my ears, the Uber always sounded very similar to a JCM 800. I've got a patch dialed in for my JP6 BFR that I love jamming on. Next time I'm around the Axe, I'll see what I got going on.

To me, the similarity lies in the note response, moreso than the tone. A JCM800 screaming at me felt like somebody was slicing chunks off me (in a good way). An Uberschall always felt like it was punching me in the chest, while sounding like it was about to explode, yet maintaining this surprising amount of "note"in the ridiculousness.

Try increase only presence! What cab do you have?
I've tried a few Ubercabs (Stock, Rosen, Ownhammer) but I couldn't get the top-end sizzle out of them. I'm using a Marshall cab at the moment but I can't remember which one.

I'll post the noise I'm making tonight when I get home from work.

I gave this amp a whirl with my PRS Custom 24 and found it was waaaaaay bass heavy.
I used ownhammer marshal v30 OH1 from heavy hitters 1 and gave it a good dose of low cut around 180-220 and suddenly it revealed itself.
It’s got a snap too it but I would prefer something a bit more spongy. It’s an amp everyone I listen too has used at some point, i’ve Had the name of the amp banged into me for decades now , yet it’s just not very ‘me’

I took a look at my preset. I've got a T808 OD in front just boosting with gain at 0 and level at 10. The amp is straight up default. I didn't turn any knobs it looks like. Master volume is dropped down to 3, though. Cabinet is a 2x12 Zilla Super Fatboy with a V30 from Ownhammer's HHCII. Low cut in the cab block is at 140 and hi cut is at 8000 with 12 dB/Oct slope. Running a filter block after the cab with a high shelf set at 8 kHz boosted 8 dB. Lastly, is a multi-comp block with Freq 1 set at 281 Hz with 1.5 ratio, 16 ms attack, 25 ms release and threshold to taste. Set the other crossovers so that they are not doing any compression and don't forget to drop level 1,2&3 to 0 dB. That's it. Love that patch for my EBMM JP6 BFR!

Just a thought, and maybe I am wrong, but it feels like part of what I liked most about the first clip and Leon's clip is that the guitar seems to be tuned down?

To me that always adds a certain timbre and girth to a heavy amp.

Yeah these amps love Drop C and lower, part of the reson why they're popular modern metal amps in the first place i guess.

The Uber has a resonance on the C note. A big one.

Moreover, in my opinion it is very Marshally voiced (which I love) but with a kicking lowend, lower than usual guitar amps.
The gain and presence make a lot of difference in the sound and feel. I like the gain between 2 and 3 to feel the wood and the strings of the guitar. If you want a skull crusher thing instead, get higher, around 5-7, and mabe lower the input trim if it's too much gain.
Increasing the gain will give you more bass.

Don't forget to experiment with the presence too! It changes the shape of the sound a lot.

Very interesting topic! I own Uberschall for several years and it was just amazing!
But for me it was not that much fizzy like in the Lase video.
It was near that sound:

I tried to recreate this with my AX8 and for the moment it's not fully there... It's very close but not a 100% right.
I'l do a video for you guys to check it.

I've tried a few Ubercabs (Stock, Rosen, Ownhammer) but I couldn't get the top-end sizzle out of them. I'm using a Marshall cab at the moment but I can't remember which one.
I try to recreate the sound in the first post video, I did four tracks panned R+L.
Note: Sounds weird because 2 steps down with pitch block.

1. This track is a Tone Match of the video.

2. This track is with Ownhammer impulse.

3. This tracks is the same but more low end.

4. This track is quadtrack (track 1 & 3)

Yeah these amps love Drop C and lower, part of the reson why they're popular modern metal amps in the first place i guess.
giphy.gif

I gave this amp a whirl with my PRS Custom 24 and found it was waaaaaay bass heavy.
I used ownhammer marshal v30 OH1 from heavy hitters 1 and gave it a good dose of low cut around 180-220 and suddenly it revealed itself.
It’s got a snap too it but I would prefer something a bit more spongy. It’s an amp everyone I listen too has used at some point, i’ve Had the name of the amp banged into me for decades now , yet it’s just not very ‘me’

I know what you mean about some amps not being very "me". For metal, the 6505\5153 is almost an instant hit in terms of chuggy awesomeness. However I've never had any luck getting them to sound good. I could never get the gain "consistent", the mids were stiff and unpleasant and I could never get that amp tight. Some amps have your name on them, some don't :). /derail

Just a thought, and maybe I am wrong, but it feels like part of what I liked most about the first clip and Leon's clip is that the guitar seems to be tuned down?

To me that always adds a certain timbre and girth to a heavy amp.

There's probably some truth to this. An amp that loves bass is gonna love a tuned-down guitar. Sometimes I found that having it in C made the bass too much and it turned a bit muddy instead. Will give it a bash with my guitar tuned to C later tonight.

I try to recreate the sound in the first post video, I did four tracks panned R+L.
Note: Sounds weird because 2 steps down with pitch block.

1. This track is a Tone Match of the video.

2. This track is with Ownhammer impulse.

3. This tracks is the same but more low end.

4. This track is quadtrack (track 1 & 3)

This came up pretty awesome! I haven't attempted a tone-match because the clip was double-tracked. Did you do anything fancy with it or just a straightforward tone match?

Ok, this is my take on it. I'm not tried to go close to Lase tone example. I just tried to recreate my own Uberschall with my own cab.
First in the mix and then without the mix.

Like what you've got going there! Could you share your EQ settings?

Back
Top Bottom