Need to recalibrate each time I change expression pedals?

Mr.Modeler

Inspired
I may use different expression pedals depending on where I am. Will I have to recalibrate each pedal, each time? I'm assuming yes and I don't think you can store calibration info for each pedal. Correct?

Unless there was some communication between the pedal and the FM3, how would it know which pedal that you plugged in to fetch the calibration data.
Hence my comment about storing a pedal name with a configuration. So yup, I had thought of that. Someday in the future, someone will come out with a MIDI pedal that sends its data to the unit.

If an analog potentiometer is still the "source" of data from the expression pedal, what difference does it make if the data comes via MIDI IN or TRS? Somewhere the tolerances and variances that are inherent in analogue devices has to be compensated for hence calibration.

Is MIDI considered a solution for the problem at hand because it is believed (I can't confirm) that because it's a MIDI "expression pedal", the device in question knows the pedal is unique in some way?

Unless there was some communication between the pedal and the FM3, how would it know which pedal that you plugged in to fetch the calibration data.
If one could save an "expression pedal calibration profile" than why not be able to name it too? Selecting a name is still faster than calibration.

If an analog potentiometer is still the "source" of data from the expression pedal, what difference does it make if the data comes via MIDI IN or TRS? Somewhere the tolerances and variances that are inherent in analogue devices has to be compensated for hence calibration.

Is MIDI considered a solution for the problem at hand because it is believed (I can't confirm) that because it's a MIDI "expression pedal", the device in question knows the pedal is unique in some way?
A "self contained" midi pedal would already be calibrated.

However, unless you're only using 1 of them and no other midi controllers I don't think that would make much sense... Otherwise you'd need a midi merger and power for each device, etc.

Selecting a name is still faster than calibration.
Not really. Assuming you're starting from the calibration scene, you could either:

1) Select the saved-calibrations menu.
2) Hit Enter.
3) Look for and select the name.
4) Hit Enter.

or...

1) Hit Enter.
2) Rock the pedal.
3) Hit Enter.

Back
Top Bottom