Need to address USB issues on Mac w/PT!!!

I don't use the axe as an interface anymore... It isn't very mac compatible, which sucks because the USB feature was the main reason I bought it. It can't even do itunes playback without pops and crackles!

Why are you so dead set against using the 002? I'm on windows, so I can't aggregate devices, but I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as my interface and just run SPDIF from the Axe to the Saffire. Works perfect, no issues, and I record all the time into PT 9.0.6.

Man...the statements about something not being compatible are interesting. The 2 works perfectly well for me.
Under Logic 9, PT10 on Lion, or PT9HD on 10.6

Yes everything u described are issues I've had on PT with various sound cards.
And yes the issue with ProTools is that it unlike Logic wants to see a combined driver for in and out. Hence the aggregate device.

Why are you so dead set against using the 002? I'm on windows, so I can't aggregate devices, but I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as my interface and just run SPDIF from the Axe to the Saffire. Works perfect, no issues, and I record all the time into PT 9.0.6.

I want my rack to be all I need for stage or studio. I use a 6U rack and I just don't want anything bigger. I also don't like the quality of the 002. IMO the converters suck. I don't want to have to rewire my setup everytime I take it out. If I use the II as my main interface my life is much simpler. That is if I can get it to work consistently.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

i would dump pro tools and try logic or ableton live i still have yet to try reaper.... but i got a mac, and the axe 2, and i don't even think i could use protools because i don't have an mbox... unless they opened up to other devices.... anyways what about logic or ableton?

i would dump pro tools and try logic or ableton live i still have yet to try reaper.... but i got a mac, and the axe 2, and i don't even think i could use protools because i don't have an mbox... unless they opened up to other devices.... anyways what about logic or ableton?

Pro Tools now works with any hardware, but there have been users having troubles with a lot of hardware not working smoothly with ProTools (hardware/driver issues, user error? who knows). Pro Tools going from dedicated hardware to supporting any hardware via vendor supplied drivers is a big move, a few bumps in the road would be expected. I'd expect ProTools to work these issues out with time.

If Pro Tools is the only DAW your hardware glitches with, I wouldn't be inclined to blame your hardware's manufacturer.

Lol!!! Windows... Ironic how 7 years ago I switched to Mac to avoid crap like this and now Windows users are having an easier time than me.

As for blaming FAS I never outright said it was their fault. I just wish to bring it to their attention. Something isn't right and something needs to be done about it.

Sent from my iPod.

I still have some issues with the Axe II recording into Reason. It works fine (I'm using it as an aggregate device as well) for a bit but I slowly get more and more latency until it's hard to play. Restarting Reason fixes it and starts the cycle again.

I think there is an issue with the Axe II driver on Macs. I've never had these issues with any other interface, Line 6, MOTU, etc.

BTW, the Axe driver for Mac says June 17, 2011, I don't think it's ever been updated.

Last edited:
Lol!!! Windows... Ironic how 7 years ago I switched to Mac to avoid crap like this and now Windows users are having an easier time than me.

As for blaming FAS I never outright said it was their fault. I just wish to bring it to their attention. Something isn't right and something needs to be done about it.

Sent from my iPod.

There will be headaches no matter which OS you use. PCs are simply not the ideal and never will be for audio recording.

Hey, my first non-praising AXE FX post ever....The USB is a mess in AXE FX II with Mac. This should be fix #1, not firmware 4.01 or 5. It's not fair and it's been going on too long. We use many USB audio interfaces on our Mac which work just fine, so it's not Apple.

I get clicks, pops and degenerative delay using USB+MBP 17 2011 4x2.2 OSX 10.7.2 AXE-FW 4.01. To get it all to work I have to use SPDIF.

Last edited:
My issues are different to those the OP is having (I get regular pops and crackles whenever I use the axe USB for any form of audio playback, not just within a DAW), but every other interface I have tried works just fine. I have not had a problem with the axe USB input signal though.

Yup... A big fat hairy mess!!! From what FAS has told me, they need assistance from Avid. Avid refuses to help. I agree, FAS should work relentlessly until it is resolved. Using the II as an interface was more than half of my reason for upgrading. After FW 5.0 comes out I wouldn't mind a layover while they look into this USB mess.

Hey, my first non-praising AXE FX post ever....The USB is a mess in AXE FX II with Mac. This should be fix #1, not firmware 4.01 or 5. It's not fair and it's been join on too long. We use many USB audio interfaces on our Mac which work just fine, so it's not Apple.

I get clicks, pops and degenerative delay using USB+MBP 17 2011 4x2.2 OSX 10.7.2 AXE-FW 4.01. To get it all to work I have to use SPDIF.

I don't know. I've never used the 11R. I don't imagine it suffers from the issues that plague us II users. I mean it's made by digidesign. I bet it works as great as my 002. I just don't want to use my 002 anymore.

How is the driver any worse than 11 R for example?

I don't know. I've never used the 11R. I don't imagine it suffers from the issues that plague us II users. I mean it's made by digidesign. I bet it works as great as my 002. I just don't want to use my 002 anymore.
If it would I wouldn't have brought it up. This is Digi we're talking about. Every non HD interface I've used with PT10 and 9HD has the same type issues the Axe 2 has. In Logic, Nuendo/Cubase, Reaper, Sonic Solutions...all is fine.Dual boot on my MBP with W7...Sequoia with Axe 2 runs like a champ. Protools 9 forget about it. I have told Matt...my take is that PT needs to see a combined driver, not a separate in and out driver and that is the issue.
But dude...go easy...I/O issues on laptops are no news flash. I retired my last Windows laptop because the U-Audio UAD 2 solo wasn't recognized no matter what and I'm on their beta team.
On my MBP the OSX side no problem, the W7 side no problem.
My Motu interfaces on OSX no problem, W7 no dice, Vista...flakey...and so on...

I've used the 002 since 2006 with no issues at all. This is the first time I have ever experienced any of this garbage.

If it would I wouldn't have brought it up. This is Digi we're talking about. Every non HD interface I've used with PT10 and 9HD has the same type issues the Axe 2 has. In Logic, Nuendo/Cubase, Reaper, Sonic Solutions...all is fine.Dual boot on my MBP with W7...Sequoia with Axe 2 runs like a champ. Protools 9 forget about it. I have told Matt...my take is that PT needs to see a combined driver, not a separate in and out driver and that is the issue.
But dude...go easy...I/O issues on laptops are no news flash. I retired my last Windows laptop because the U-Audio UAD 2 solo wasn't recognized no matter what and I'm on their beta team.
On my MBP the OSX side no problem, the W7 side no problem.
My Motu interfaces on OSX no problem, W7 no dice, Vista...flakey...and so on...

+1 Avid need´s to allow a combined driver,not this aggregate crap where you cant mix the axe with your 002,003,HD

I've used the 002 since 2006 with no issues at all. This is the first time I have ever experienced any of this garbage.
So the point is that the Digi hardware plays nice with the Digi software? Look I feel ya that you want the Axe 2 to work. But in all the years I've done time in audio most of the time how I want something to be has little to do with how I end up having to use it.

Back
Top Bottom