Need Synth preset advice

L

luke

I want to add a synth to a preset to play only the bass note of the given chord, in parallel to my normal guitar sound.

I wish to prevent the synth from playing any notes higher than 220hz.

Ideas please?

Not possible as far as I am aware... Unless you use a switch to change which note is played by the Synth.

If it's following the guitar it will play the "detected" note but since the synth is monophonic, that might not be the bass note of the chord.

I was hoping to use a PEQ to block everything above 220hz. I tried it but other notes still play. Hey

Maybe with pitch follower that mutes the synth, or turn the mix to zero?
But I guess that would only work for single notes, not chords.

Maybe with pitch follower that mutes the synth, or turn the mix to zero?
But I guess that would only work for single notes, not chords.

I could not resist trying that 🤓
Here is an experiment:

There are glitches that can be used creatively as a weird percussion

One Pitch follower with Hi-Cut for the bass/synth line and another with Lo-Cut for the guitar line
Quad-Tap delay for the bass line
1/4 Delay for the guitar line

As crdark has indicated, you can only use it with single notes. If you want to do that with chords and without glitches you need a hex-pickup and a Roland VG-99 or Boss SY-1000. These units allow to process the strings separately. My favorite setting is strings 5-6 for bass, and strings 1-4 for guitar and/or pad synth

Attachments

• Bass+Guitar.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What others have mentioned is great. To add, I would also say check out the A little Thunder pickups. They have a switch that allows you to play the low E and A string as bass notes with a separate output. You can use a stereo cable and split into two separate inputs on the AxeFX3 and build a synth preset for just the bass notes

I’m really hoping to find a way to eliminate all content over 220hz, and then to feed the synth that signal.

I’m really hoping to find a way to eliminate all content over 220hz, and then to feed the synth that signal.
You can do that, with the preset that I have attached. Just mute the upper row, and all you have is low notes feeding the synth.

Last edited:
Here it is. No content over 220Hz will feed this synth

Attachments

• Kill above 220Hz.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Even a low E on a bass has 2k frequencies and above. It seems like you dont want actual notes?

Even a low E on a bass has 2k frequencies and above. It seems like you dont want actual notes?

The synth output that you hear wouldn't have the lowpass EQ if you apply it to the signal feeding the detector.

The trouble with all of this is that the synth just uses the global pitch detector (I think) and some chord voicings may not always produce the desired bass note.

If the synth uses the pitch follower's input source (in controllers menu) you could try setting that to an otherwise unused input and cable a clean lowpassed signal from any output to that input for detection purposes only. There would be limitations like having to avoid low 5ths in voicings up to a certain point, unless you want the bass note to be an octave lower than if you had played the lower note of the 5th on its own.

The purpose is to feed the pitch detector of the Synth, not to play all the harmonics contents of the actual notes. That's what I've made and the recording above: the bass line is played at the lower notes only, while strings 1 to 4 play normal guitar without bass.

Last edited:
Perhaps an old school solution might be what you need...

MoogTaurus3_01-MsS22TpcNKTmi41G0fvKMXixwq8heEz_.jpg

I want to add a synth to a preset to play only the bass note of the given chord, in parallel to my normal guitar sound.

I wish to prevent the synth from playing any notes higher than 220hz.

Ideas please?
Don't know how your setup is....but I would run a DAW with a bass plugin and Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 from a laptop on the side....or maybe with a combination of a fishman triple play.

Better use the right tool, like the SY-1000 (it is not MIDI, it is a modeler). I've recorded a quick clip using the concept of Bass at strings 5-6 & Guitar at strings 1-4. You can also use a synth instead of the bass (it is a non-MIDI Synth, like at the Axe-FX but polyphonic), and freeze the synth chords with a pedal while you keep playing guitar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom