Need Speaker recommendations for FX III with Fryette 2/50/2 Stereo Power Amp

DFauvre

Inspired
I'm a tone freakin, always chasing the unicorn of tone. I have the XiTones, great for a GRFR cab, and yet, leaves something missing from using a real tube amp. I had a long conversation with Brain, at The Guitar Sanctuary, in Texas last week. He explained that the tone we all love primarily comes from the power amp and not the preamp. Who knew. So...the Xitone being solid state power amps, are never going to sound like a real tube amp.

So, some nice tone freak in this forum suggested I try a Fryette 2/50/2 stereo power amp. My mind was blown when I read the specs. It uses EL34 tubes, has volume, presence and depth controls, and is stereo...perfect. Mine showed up on Friday.

Sweetwater was supposed to have shipped me two Orange 2x12 cabs. They messed up and were out of stock. So I scrambled and ran around town and found two Orange PPC1x12 cabs and bought them instead.

My question is, although the 1x12 sound good, they still do not have the low end of say a 4x12 cab. How much MORE low end is produced by a 2x12 closed back cab, like the Orange 2x12 cab, vs., the 1x12 Orange closed back cab?

I have noticed that when I watch videos of the big boys in their home practice studios, like Steve Van, he is playing through two 2x12 cabs, NOT, two 1x12 cabs. Why?

What two cabs, are best recommended for rock when paired with the Fryette and Fractal? Two 1x12s? Two 2x12s? What manufacture?

Why not get a 4x12 To run the 2/50/2 through, and have the punch you desire? If you really want the goods, split the Xitones wide for the stereo image (with some dry mixed in), and run the Fryette through a 4x12 in the middle without effects for an awesome w/d/w set up.....best of both worlds! :)

You do understand that the Axe Fx models the power amp section, right? It's not a Preamp it's an amp modeler.

That is why many, many people use it with solid state power amps and have great results.

You may just prefer using real cabinets and not IRs. I really suspect this is what you are "missing"... The sound of a real speaker cab in the room (often incorrectly called "amp in the room").

The recommendation for using real cabs will depend on your tastes and preferences. It's not just the cabinet but also the speakers in the cab.

Metal and heavy rock guys are going to tell you to use a 4x12 (likely with V30s), others will say use Greenbacks. Others will say use a 2x12 with an open back and some other speakers like Alnico Blue or Gold (or both), or maybe Jensens...

Also, remember that a big part of the overall sound comes from the speaker - so using real cabs is a limiting factor for you.

Different amps work better with different cab and speaker combos.

What amp presets are you using on the Axe III? Might want to try Austin Buddys presets, they sound amazing, I was blown away. Sounds and feels just like the real amps IMO... Using an amp with power tubes that can color the tone kind of defeats the point of using a modeler?

Kind of odd. I thought Cliff said the tone came from the preamp not the power tubes in a different thread.

I'm a tone freakin, always chasing the unicorn of tone. I have the XiTones, great for a GRFR cab, and yet, leaves something missing from using a real tube amp. I had a long conversation with Brain, at The Guitar Sanctuary, in Texas last week. He explained that the tone we all love primarily comes from the power amp and not the preamp. Who knew. So...the Xitone being solid state power amps, are never going to sound like a real tube amp.

So, some nice tone freak in this forum suggested I try a Fryette 2/50/2 stereo power amp. My mind was blown when I read the specs. It uses EL34 tubes, has volume, presence and depth controls, and is stereo...perfect. Mine showed up on Friday.

Sweetwater was supposed to have shipped me two Orange 2x12 cabs. They messed up and were out of stock. So I scrambled and ran around town and found two Orange PPC1x12 cabs and bought them instead.

My question is, although the 1x12 sound good, they still do not have the low end of say a 4x12 cab. How much MORE low end is produced by a 2x12 closed back cab, like the Orange 2x12 cab, vs., the 1x12 Orange closed back cab?

I have noticed that when I watch videos of the big boys in their home practice studios, like Steve Van, he is playing through two 2x12 cabs, NOT, two 1x12 cabs. Why?

What two cabs, are best recommended for rock when paired with the Fryette and Fractal? Two 1x12s? Two 2x12s? What manufacture?

The tone comes from the circuits not the tubes...

Read the whole thread that you linked. You'll find this entry from Cliff about preamp tubes:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-power-tubes-sound-different.79962/post-972959

From what I understood the tubes are affected by impedance, which affects the speaker, the speaker then affects the tone?... quoted Cliff below. Regardless I don't understand why the OP wants to use a tube amp with a modeler. It's going to add something that the modeler isn't trying to replicate?

"It is the impedance of the speaker that affects the tone of the amp and different types of power tubes react differently with that impedance."

"Essentially the EL34 has a higher damping factor than a 6L6. This higher damping factor reduces the mid-scoop due to the speaker impedance. This makes the tone have more midrange."

Stereo 412 cab. I'd suggest you check out several with your rig because unless you plan on buying several, that's the tone you're going to have from your speaker cab likely for a long time.

Dfauvre.

You have the exact same set up that I used to use.

It sounded pretty goods to my ears.

However, there is a Huge elephant in the room. The speaker choice depends heavily on what amp model you select.

For example, if you exclusively use Marshall models in the Axe you could quite happily use real world Celestion's.

But lets say you like to use Mesa/Boogie and Vox and Fender Models.

Now you are in trouble, As to sound authentic, you need the relevant speakers to compliment each amp in the axe fx.

I smashed my head on the wall trying to solve this and the closest I got was a Mesa 1x12 with an EV12L 200watt. Fairly neutral speaker but no cigar. Good All round speaker but falls down between every major amp manufacturers designs.
Unfortunately one size does not fit all in the speaker game........

What I will say is tho. I’ve decided to move on from that Rig and now use a Matrix Gt800 PA through a EJ1250 speaker.
As a lead guitar player I couldn’t be happier.

Good Luck with your search!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom