Need some YA advice. Help me choose a pack

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I just purchased the York Audio MRSH M20 to pair with all my Marshall amps that I like. Looking forward to auditioning these. Sound clips I've heard are amazing. I honestly rarely touch 212 cabs in the Axe cabs as i'm mostly a high gain player though I'm playing a lot more cleans and edge of breakup tones lately. Are most users opting for 212 cabs? I know ...no rules...yet, for Fendery style amps what York Audio 212 might you suggest?

I just purchased the York Audio MRSH M20 to pair with all my Marshall amps that I like. Looking forward to auditioning these. Sound clips I've heard are amazing. I honestly rarely touch 212 cabs in the Axe cabs as i'm mostly a high gain player though I'm playing a lot more cleans and edge of breakup tones lately. Are most users opting for 212 cabs? I know ...no rules...yet, for Fendery style amps what York Audio 212 might you suggest?
Are there any specific tones you’re looking for or pairings for particular amps? Let me know how I can help you and I’ll try some stuff for you before making any recommendations. :)

Are there any specific tones you’re looking for or pairings for particular amps? Let me know how I can help you and I’ll try some stuff for you before making any recommendations. :)
I was looking for good cab to go with Marshall flavor amps. just staight up hard rock tones. Not metal. I don't care for midhonk in my tones ; prefer more a more clear balanced cab if that makes sense. I was also looking for good cab to handle cleans to edge of break up.

I was looking for good cab to go with Marshall flavor amps. just staight up hard rock tones. Not metal. I don't care for midhonk in my tones ; prefer more a more clear balanced cab if that makes sense. I was also looking for good cab to handle cleans to edge of break up.
For that I like the Blackbacks (YA Blackjack 4x12)

If you haven't already checked out the free WGS Retro 30 IR on the forum, I would highly recommend you do! Great IR on its own and it plays well with other IRs. One of my go-to IRs for most amps.

Bought my first IR pack for $1 dollar two days ago here. I like it for clean to edge of breakup on up but I wish I would have bought the full pack because I'm going to end up with it anyway because of the quality of the sounds I'm getting out of it.
https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30-limited

The absolute best and worst dollar ever spent. Best because the pack is worth 10 times what I paid for it, worst because now I have to own the rest of the collection on the site here.
https://www.yorkaudio.co/shop?page=7

I just purchased the MV30 Dual. I think this one is awesome because its well balanced and good for a variety of tones. Next on the list is to go back and grab the rest of the 1 dollar pack which I believe is the Mesa 212 V30 pack. The Mesa V30 pack is very balanced in all areas to my ears it doesn't seem to have too much of anything in the response curve. That said I can definitely see where the M20, Black Jack, and M25 packs have a woody quality to them which I love about some of my favorite guitar tones from the past like lynch, EVH, etc.

Those packs are next on the list for purchase. For the amount of money you spend on IR packs it would be short sited to not have some quality packs on hand.

In short I think that IRs are one of the key defining feature of any tone. Modelling is only half the equation.
I think the only thing that might be a diminishing return is not organizing the IR packs down to a manageable size.
This isn't really an issue with these packs because what I think you'll find is that they are organized quite well. Usually there is a range within a pack that seems to work best.

The first couple of IRs in the mix files are usually the most balanced in all frequencies and then down the list you'll find the pronounced frequencies that you might desire.

Last edited:
This doesn't help but YA are my very favorite IR's. When I A/B them against the others the YA always come out on top. I started with the DXVB Verb Deluxe and now I have 11 packs. I mostly run my AxeFx III into my Quilter combos and even though many people say to turn off the cab sims I find that using them can turn your combo into other amps and often ones that don't even exist. There's no reason that you can't use a Marshall with a 2-12 IR. The original iconic Bluesbreaker Combo that guys like Clapton, Beck and Page used was a JTM-45 with 2x12's. I've been using the Marshall with the new FTWN 212 D120. Why? Because I can.

This doesn't help but YA are my very favorite IR's. When I A/B them against the others the YA always come out on top. I started with the DXVB Verb Deluxe and now I have 11 packs. I mostly run my AxeFx III into my Quilter combos and even though many people say to turn off the cab sims I find that using them can turn your combo into other amps and often ones that don't even exist. There's no reason that you can't use a Marshall with a 2-12 IR. The original iconic Bluesbreaker Combo that guys like Clapton, Beck and Page used was a JTM-45 with 2x12's. I've been using the Marshall with the new FTWN 212 D120. Why? Because I can.
Nice.
What are you using for monitors?

Nice.
What are you using for monitors?
I don't unless I'm just using headphones. I run into two Quilter Combo amps. Usually two Steelaires but also use a MicroPro Mach 2 HD and Aviator Mach 3. Sometimes I run all four in a sort of Dual Stereo and if I use different choruses (subtly) it sounds like I've got Quadrophonic and it's 3D. First people I ever heard do this was Pink Floyd in the early 70's.

I don't unless I'm just using headphones. I run into two Quilter Combo amps. Usually two Steelaires but also use a MicroPro Mach 2 HD and Aviator Mach 3. Sometimes I run all four in a sort of Dual Stereo and if I use different choruses (subtly) it sounds like I've got Quadrophonic and it's 3D. First people I ever heard do this was Pink Floyd in the early 70's.
Are you using the Cab sims through the quilters? I've never heard of most of that gear. If it sounds anything like 70s PF bet it sounds amazing.

If you haven't already checked out the free WGS Retro 30 IR on the forum, I would highly recommend you do! Great IR on its own and it plays well with other IRs. One of my go-to IRs for most amps.

Hey thanks for posting that! I’m always up to try free IRs. Made a copy of my main preset and voiced it to work with this IR. Sounds great. Different voicing for sure, a lot more low mids than my normal choice. Another free IR I use a lot is Leon Todd’s TV Mix 7.

Are you using the Cab sims through the quilters? I've never heard of most of that gear. If it sounds anything like 70s PF bet it sounds amazing.
Yes. Doing so can turn the amp into a different amp. The thing I like about using real amplifiers is that you don't get that "Yeah but does it feel like a real amp" thing because they are real amps. FRFR cabs are basically PA speakers in a guitar cab looking enclosure. Having a combo amp also gives you the ability to do a gig even in the unlikely event that there is a malfunction or a power surge.

Back
Top Bottom