Need some preset creating advice from my fellow Fractalites

Jvstrat

Experienced
Let me start by saying I still love my axe fx. I use it at church every week with in ears and I have been using fractal since Axe standard. When I play live with my band I have been running a Friedman Runt head with pedals instead of my axe that I always ran live before. Lately it seems I'm more comfortable and enjoy that sound of a real amp on stage. Now I have some tones I'm real happy with. A divided by 13 clean and a Dirty Shirley 2nd version. I'm running the latest 8.02 firmware. I always want to venture and find different tones and I fall flat on my face. I have bought lots of fractal, celestion, ownhammer, and cabir.eu impulses and fall into the rabbit hole every time and then don't find what I'm looking for. For instance I'd love to have a dr z tone like Brad Paisley. I try all kinds of cabs and I just can't get there. It doesn't sound what I would expect a dr z to sound like. I craft my sound through a pair of Yamaha hs8 monitors. I know it's gotta be me and not the axe. I guess I need advice on how you guys match a cab to an amp as I know the ir is a lot of the sound. Maybe I need to try running my axe through my crown power amp and Suhr badger 2x12 cab? Thanks for any advice.

When trying to build a rig from scratch, I first use Yek's guide for a description of the amp and suggested cabs. If that does not quite work, I try some of the cabs I favor (mostly factory cabs). Once I get the basic rig built, I then add effects to taste.

...also take into account your playing style. Your attack, your vibrato, your pickups. Most of our favorite guitarists' tone lies in their fingers.

You probably already know this, but if it's a studio recording you're targeting, you have to consider the mics, preamps, and processing that the tracking engineer performed, the mixing engineer and the mastering engineer. It's an enhanced version of the real rig.

For me the bottom line is the feel. Perhaps if you played on BP's rig, it would feel foreign to you, and maybe not sound right. Personally, even if I start with a famous guitarist's tone as a target, I end up fine tuning it to what feels right for my touch. That in the end frees me up to express myself the way I want better than trying to duplicate a sound 1:1.

If I were you, I'd go with a balanced IR that works, don't go crazy, just use the first one that works. And perhaps the Dr Z is not the model that's going to get you where you want to go. Try another amp to get the feel you want. Good luck, brother. (shout out to NC, my folks live there!)

Back
Top Bottom