Need some midi help!

Oliver Clark

So i bought the midimoose by tech 21 and its great but im using a midi cable and its incredibly loose on the axe fx input. I realised my cable (and the midi plug on the midi moose) has 5 pins but the axe fx midi in has 7 (lookup back panel axe fx photo to see what i mean). I realise this is for phantom power (which i dont really need but would be cool) but i dont understand what i need to do. Do i need a 7pin to 5pin cable? because i cant find these, i can only find 7pin to 5pin (and it has a phantom power plug on the 5 pin end) which is the opposite of what i need. I need a 7 pin with the phantom pwoer on that end to a 5 pin. Sorry if im being confusing but i just want to know how you guys run your midi pedals cable wise. Thanks

Unless the MidiMoose supports phantom power natively you will need a cable that splits out the power connector at the pedal side. Note that you will still need to have the power adapter for the pedal and have to plug it in to the port on the back of the Axe Fx.

If the pedal DOES support phantom power, make sure which pins are for that use. That is not a standard of midi, and not all devices use the same pins. Doing something wrong could fry your pedal.

I have the midi moose also, it's a pretty cool unit.

Just because the axe fx has a 7 pin input that supports phantom power does not mean you need a 7 pin cable. You are correct to use a 5 pin cable for the midi moose. It is OK to plug a 5 pin midi cable into a 7 pin socket when you're not using phantom power. This is not the reason why your cable is loose. Maybe try a new cable.

Back
Top Bottom