Need some input from you guys.

What do you want?

• Total voters

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
The York Audio 2x12 packs (DV77 and M65 Cream) have been incredibly successful and I can’t thank you all enough for your support!

So my question is… would you like me to shoot more speakers in the York Audio cab, or go back to more “name brand” cabinets?

Your feedback will help determine the queue for future cab packs, so all answers and comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Either? Both? Whatever YOU feel drawn towards doing!

Gotta say though, an awful lot of IRs have been made of many well-known cabs by a lot of people.
Your own cabs are a much more unique proposition, yay!

On the other hand, lots of customers are probably interested in your take on cabs they know from real life and records. Pleasing lots of customers is good, both for them and for you.

If I had to pick personally, I'd say your cabs -- plural, both current and future.

I have yet to buy either of the new packs but I'm intrigued by both so the long weekend might be the time to do that :)

I tend to prefer 2x12s so that form factor is nice!

As long as they good - I have no "allegiance" to name brand cabs.

I like the DV77. Still have to check out the new one. I also like the Marshall, Vox, and Fender cabs. Still compromising and using a Super Reverb IR for the brown Concert due to lack of the proper cab witl AlNiCo Jensens....

I say with your cabs. I’d love to see some warehouse guitar speaker ir. I have. 2x12 suhr badger cab with wgs veteran 30s that I love the sound of.

You have golden ears. I'd trust your judgement as to whether a quad pair of 80's g12-65 ;) would sound better in a "factory" cab or one of yours. Many people "hear" with their eyes, so from a marketing viewpoint it would be hit or miss for the general public.

I have yet to buy either of the new packs but I'm intrigued by both so the long weekend might be the time to do that :)

I tend to prefer 2x12s so that form factor is nice!

As long as they good - I have no "allegiance" to name brand cabs.
I bought both packs and spent the last 90 minutes playing with the mixes and didn't really get past the DV-77... I spent a few minutes with the Creambacks and I can tell I am going to like them, too!

Only in headphones so far... Waiting until I can turn up to test with my Xitones but I found all the mixes to be useful.

About an hour in I realized I was still using the the default speaker impedance curve for the 59 Bassman model I was testing with.

It works well but I also want to try it with the suggested curves as well as others.

Nice work!

I bought both packs and spent the last 90 minutes playing with the mixes and didn't really get past the DV-77... I spent a few minutes with the Creambacks and I can tell I am going to like them, too!

Only in headphones so far... Waiting until I can turn up to test with my Xitones but I found all the mixes to be useful.

About an hour in I realized I was still using the the default speaker impedance curve for the 59 Bassman model I was testing with.

It works well but I also want to try it with the suggested curves as well as others.

Nice work!
What amps did you use with the DV-77?

What provides you with the most accurate representation of the chosen speakers tone? How much does the cabinet alter/affect the speakers tone? And what frequencies?

i believe that Celestion uses its own cabs in various sizes to house either 1x12, 2x12, etc so they are not concerned with having a specific manufacturers cabinet.

Also, there is nothing special about most purchased cabinets. There are decently built ones and not so decently built depending on materials and fasteners. And the sizes are determined by how many pieces they can get out of a sheet of plywood hence a lot of 11 1/2 inch deep cabs.

I would suggest to experiment with what gives you the best captures and the most accurate representation of the particular speakers tone. From reading what went into you designing and building your own custom cabinets it sounds as if you may have found it.

As an example, Jensen, Oxford, and other older unique speakers don’t have to be in pine cabinets built in 1950 to sound good although some would argue that the pine boxes contributed to their sound. It could be because of resonance but are you able to capture that in an IR?
The cabinet plays a huge role in the representation of the speaker. Some cabs sound big and balanced, some sound tight in the lows but harsh in the top, some are really mid-forward (using the same speakers in all cabs). Even slightly changing the cab’s dimensions and back panel thickness and material can have a drastic impact on the sound.

I say with your cabs. I’d love to see some warehouse guitar speaker ir. I have. 2x12 suhr badger cab with wgs veteran 30s that I love the sound of.
I’ve got quite a few WGS speakers but never found a great cab home for them. I might try them in a York cab and see what that does.

[snip]

i believe that Celestion uses its own cabs in various sizes to house either 1x12, 2x12, etc so they are not concerned with having a specific manufacturers cabinet.

[snip]
Personally, I find Celestion's own IRs to be pretty sterile, or plain, or something.

Not sure if it's their cabs, their mic'ing, their sonic choices, etc., but if I some day want a guitar cab, I wouldn't have them design and build it.

I’d like to see both. A York Audio 4x12 and 2x12 with V30s would be awesome, as would a Marshall 4x12 with V30s. I’d also love to see a York 4x12 with greenbacks, a Diezel and a Zilla 4x12.

Voted for your York Audio cabs but I would like to see some more information and pictures from them.
They are awesome.
I had once a Steavens Amp with a 2x12 oversized cab and it was just stunning.

I would say use what ever cabinets sound best to you for the speakers being used. It's fair to say you have a great ear for this stuff. I like 2x12 cabs and if the DV and 65 pack are any indication, your cab will work for a lot of different speakers. But like you said, every speaker doesn't work in every cab. I trust your ears...

name brand cabs first I'd say. there's still so much ground that can and needs to be covered imho.
obviously there are many different 4x12s already on the market but when it comes to more unusual stuff it gets much more difficult.

While I would buy every single speaker on earth put on a Mesa OS 4x12 xDDD...
Your track record is impeccable so if you say that after testing XXX speaker it sounds "best" (as subjective as that adjective could be) in a Marshall, Zilla or your own York audio cabs I will 100% trust you.

Also, the combination of a proprietary cab design + cool speakers (weird, vintage, pre-rola, etc) sets you apart from the competition.

Without naming names, there's one competitor that has many cabs based on the same physical cabinet with different speakers because he thinks
it's the best sounding one he has (and I bet my beard they are by far his best-selling ones...)

I mean, not trying to be an ass-kisser, but every single one of your packs sounds amazing, and you possibly have the most amazing sounding but still "simple/one track/no processing" demo clips out there.
And you could possibly be the most active IR developer on forums, and you REALLY listen to your customers
(you bought the friedman mic clip and the hesu demon speakers just because I mentioned they would be cool, and I'm still so impressed about it that yours are the first IR packs I recommend to anyone)

My brain tells me that I want a V30 in an "old" Mesa OS cab and a greenback in a 60s/70s marshall but the only thing that matters
is how the final product sounds.

I mean, if you put out a v30 pack in your york audio cabs, I would still buy it even if I already have your mesa pack xD

People would be shocked at how one of the most famous impulses ever out there (S-pres-high) was recorded (equipment and recording conditions) and that impulse is on hundreds if not thousands of metal records for many years and used by top tier rock/metal mixers in the industry.

Celestion plus uses "nameless" cabs, but their packs sound meh at best...
Eminence for some godforsaken reason shoot all their packs in a 3rd Power 112 cab switchback cabinet with a partially open back...and its sad how laughably bad their demo sound clips sound.

as a last resort you could always take a test shot and make the public (or better still...beta testers whose ears your trust) decide in a blind shootout....

TL;DR...Trust your gut (or ears in this case)

The cabinet plays a huge role in the representation of the speaker. Some cabs sound big and balanced, some sound tight in the lows but harsh in the top, some are really mid-forward (using the same speakers in all cabs). Even slightly changing the cab’s dimensions and back panel thickness and material can have a drastic impact on the sound.

I’ve got quite a few WGS speakers but never found a great cab home for them. I might try them in a York cab and see what that does.

I really love the WGS ET-65s. I have a few of them in different cab configs. They
convinced me to sell my Creamback 65s. 🥴

Also, more combo cabs. Everyone seems to focus on the 4x12s, and ignore many of the combo amps....

This! So much this.

I have been really guilty of defaulting to 4 x 12s, assuming that bigger is better. I should know better. ;)

Two things have mostly healed me of this: Trying to make a preset to mimic my Mesa
2 x 12 Trem-O-Vern Combo, and now purchasing the YA 2 x 12 Creamback Pack.

Back
Top Bottom