Need some help?

kevrock

Experienced
so my axe fx has been fine until the last couple of days I have changed anything. so my clean presets have been getting more distorted like not in a good way and now when I use the drive pedal infant of the clean amp it sounds in the background and you can hear the clean tone pretty loud inside it. like double tracks. I've turned my input A/D level down from 50 to 25 still didn't help in running a mono setup nothing crazy its just started sounding crappy and I don't know why. any ideas would be great ill attach one of my presets. thanks guys and the user ir I use with a factory one that should be in preset

Attachments

• FRIEDMAN BE.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • U1.0138_KW MAIN MESA 412.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 3
Drive blocks were overhauled a while ago. for Tube Screamer types, a dry level was added/implemented as that's how real TS types work - the dry signal is part of the resulting overdrive tone/sound.

so on many drive types, there is now additional dry signal present that may not have been there before. this was in Feb of 2019 and here is the release note:

"For many types there is now a “Dry Gain” control. This parameter controls the amount of “dry” signal mixed with the “wet” (distorted) signal. For a Tube Screamer-based model this will default to 100% due to the topology. For other types this will default to 0. Values up to 200% are allowed. Note that the dry data is added before any tone controls and therefore is not exactly equivalent to a mix but rather replicates the behavior of analog circuits."

not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but wanted to point that out to make sure. i personally have been reducing that new Dry Gain control many times to 0 to get the sound i want.

adjusting the Input Level in the setup menu wouldn't affect any of this, as that adjusts a signal to noise ratio for the input, not actual audible level or amount of signal going into the grid.

i loaded your preset and IR. the clean scene sounds clean to me. no distortion or anything, so i don't think anything is wrong with the preset or settings there. if you have a guitar with active pickups, change the battery as it may be dying and causing distortion from the guitar. if not, can you share an audio or video recording of what the distortion sounds like? with my high output guitar, i don't get any distortion in the clean scene.

when i engage the Drive block in the Clean scene, it's a T808 OD which would have the Dry Level turned up as mentioned in the release notes above. at default setting of 100%, yes there is a strong clean signal going at the same time. it's like a 50/50 wet/dry sound that just doesn't sound right to me. Cliff has confirmed several times that this setting matches the original pedal, so there's that. but i just reduce that parameter to 0% or so and it sounds more like what i'd expect.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.49.23 PM.png

Can someone explain to my thick self about Dry Gain vs the Mix control?
From above:

“Note that the dry data is added before any tone controls and therefore is not exactly equivalent to a mix but rather replicates the behavior of analog circuits."

I saw that, it's part of why I asked the question.

So the idea is input > tone shaping > clipping > dry level mixed in > EQ > mix control > output, right?

The difference between that and the mix control is just that it goes through wherever fixed or variable EQ the pedal applies to the clipped signal?

“Note that the dry data is added before any tone controls and therefore is not exactly equivalent to a mix but rather replicates the behavior of analog circuits."
So the idea is input > tone shaping > clipping > dry level mixed in > EQ > mix control > output, right?
if dry data is "added before any tone controls", i think it'd be

input > dry data > tone shaping...

right?

it's emulating how the real pedal works, as the real pedals add dry signal to the drive signal inherently. i'd just change the controls and see what you prefer.

if dry data is "added before any tone controls", i think it'd be

input > dry data > tone shaping...

right?
That makes no sense, it's just adding more signal to the pedal input.

By "tone shaping", I mean the topical non-adjustable low cut most drive pedals have before the (first) clipping stage.

it's emulating how the real pedal works, as the real pedals add dry signal to the drive signal inherently. i'd just change the controls and see what you prefer.
The "transparent overdrive" thing must mean adding dry signal after the clipping stage, but as you say, before any tone controls that come after clipping.

Here's my way of thinking of it:

The Mix control blends dry signal from BEFORE the Drive block - see the yellow highlighted parts below.

The Dry Level (Dry Gain) control adds dry signal into the wet signal chain - see the red below.

559253F3-8C0D-40F3-AF78-8C4B4C5590EA.jpeg

I think part of the explanation is also here from the manual:

2E89BF96-E6C0-4754-A13C-443BC253760D.jpeg

Mix should always default to 100% but Dry Gain will not, depending on the drive pedal type and it's topology.

As the last sentence of the Dry Gain mentions, the dry signal is added pre-EQ... So EQ and Bit Reduce would apply.

Back
Top Bottom